Was Waze targeted by some sort of attack?

Moderator: Unholy

Was Waze targeted by some sort of attack?

Postby WebMaximus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:17 pm

I keep getting this message from Google Chrome Password Checkup Extension whenever I login here and I already changed my password once.

Was there yet another data breach in the last 24h!? I saw this first time yesterday.

[ img ]
WebMaximus

Re: Was Waze targeted by some sort of attack?

Postby TheChrisK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Not familiar with that tool but do you use the same password for other sites? Is it possible a different site was breached and your password hash was compromised there? LastPass will warn you that a password you used on a site that was breached should not be used anywhere else.

I'm not aware of any data breach involving Waze. This message seems somewhat generic and doesn't give a whole lot of information.
TheChrisK

Assistant Regional Coordinator: Northwest Region
Local Champ: United States
Country Manager: United States
Multi-State Manager: Montana | Nebraska | Wyoming

[ img ]
TheChrisK
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby WebMaximus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:55 pm

First that's what I thought too, that since I've been using the same password for both Waze as well as some other sites, I better change my password.

So, that what I did and I have now changed in a way where I have unique passwords for all sites including Waze. But now I get this message again. And only when visiting Waze and no other sites. So it's clearly something with Waze. And as said, now the password used here is unique to this site.

Funny enough the tool is provided by Google who also owns Waze as I understand it. So it's all Google. And I agree, the message doesn't really say much. Just what site it is. In this case www.waze.com.

Really odd but guess I'll just have to press the 'Ignore for this site' button to get rid of the message whenever I login here.
WebMaximus

Postby bedo2991 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I have been seeing that message since ages on the forum and I know many other users who get it too.
I would suppose that the tool sees a forum parameter as your/our password and triggers the warning.

Otherwise, why are we getting the warning on the forum only and not on the WME?

You may want to try your Waze password here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords
Francesco
Italian Global Champ
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
New: Street Vector Layer (SVL)
"Slack volant, forum manent"
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Website, Community, General