Tried submitting a map issue - Very annoyed

Post by simplyandyg
I'm not sure where else to post this so I figured General Board will serve as a good place.

I submitted a map issue a week or two ago, and apparently I received a message about it in my inbox 7 days ago, I never saw the notification for whatever reason so I did not respond. Today, I then receive a notification about a message in my inbox. It is regarding the map issue I submitted saying that due to the fact that I have no responded to their inquiry for more information that they were going to close my ticket.

I want to reply to let them know that I can give them the information that they asked for, but I just never received the other message until today when I saw the new notification for the second message. However, as I'm sure many of you know, the THERE IS NO WAY TO MESSAGE SOMEONE BACK. Also, I don't know how to send a message to someone that isn't either on my friends list or on my map. So I have no idea how to send a message back to this person who contacted me. They didn't email me either so I know that I can't reply that way. So even if I did get the original message how was I supposed to reply????!?!?!?

I was trying to help out other Waze users by submitting this, and it has just become an utter annoyance. I would just let it all go and forget about it, but it is really a pet peeve of mine when technology is unintuitive or missing obvious features. I'm not trying to down Waze, I love it, I've used it since it came out. But it is infuriating to me that there is no way to directly reach the Waze staff that is easy an intuitive to find.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help that you can provide.
simplyandyg

POSTER_ID:1549147

Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
On this forum board, at the top you will see messages. Click on that and that is a private message board. Take the users name minus any number in ( ). That is just a rank number. You can PM the person who asked for more info or closed the ticket. If you still have a permalink to the edit map, include that in your message to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by crazycaveman
Just thought I'd mention that it is possible to respond from the inbox for a problem you report, as long as the report hasn't been closed yet. Once it's closed, as in this case, the only way to respond is the method iainhouse gave you.
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
crazycaveman is quite correct, you can respond to editor inquiries using the app itself. In fact, that is the only way you can respond within the map-issue reporting system. Unfortunately Waze's emails do not make this clear, in fact I don't think they mention it at all! You are definitely not the first to be confused and annoyed by this oversight. It can be terrifically frustrating.

As a volunteer editor, when I respond to map issues reported by app users, I like to add the sentence "please respond within the app, emails won't work with the reporting system". Hopefully this sentence has helped.

I would love for Waze to clarify its automated email text so reporters know they have to respond from within the app. Such a simple thing, and it could prevent so much aggravation. Unfortunately most volunteers have no way to communicate issues like this to Waze in a way that we feel sure we are being heard, and even the seniormost volunteers have only very limited ability to influence how Waze prioritizes continuing development.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
All is (probably) not lost. :)

When you registered with Waze, you should have supplied an email address. When the volunteer editor who replied to your report, an email should have been sent to that address. Now if the address is invalid, it won't help much, but if it's a real email address, double-check your spam folder. Since the emails are sent out by an automated system, it's no surprise that sometimes spam filters quarantine them. ;)

If you have the email, it should include a link to the Waze Map Editor where the problem was reported. Click on that link and log into the editor with the same username & password you use for the App (and forum). On the right-hand end of the toolbar above the map is a Layers icon. Hover over that until the Layers menu opens, make sure "Update Requests" is ticked and, if the words "Show Closed" appear next to "Update Requests", click there to show closed URs.

You should now see your UR as a green pin in the middle of the map. Although it's been closed, you should still be able to reply. Click on it, press the "Conversations" button on the upper left, and type away.

I'm sorry if that seems a little long-winded. To editors it's second nature, but I'm guessing you've never logged into the editor before.

Failing all of that, you could find your appropriate country sub-forum and ask for help there. If you state where you placed the report, someone should be able to find it.

Please remember that we are all volunteer editors - we don't get paid and we do this for the love of it. Until a year or so ago, we couldn't communicate with reporters at all. The fact that an editor asked for more details means they certainly wanted to help you. Unfortunately, if we don't close off reports where we can't find the issue and there is no response, the map rapidly gets covered in User Reports.

One of my self-imposed jobs in the UK is scanning the country to deal with old URs that nobody has dealt with. When I started that job, some were several hundred days old. I get maybe a 10%-20% response rate on them - and I just have to bite the bullet and close them if I can't identify the problem.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by simplyandyg
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info, so it definitely is partially my fault as I actually signed up so long ago that it was an email address that I haven't used in almost 4 years. However, it's still frustrating that there's no way to reply from the Waze inbox.

And iainhouse, I definitely do not blame the editor in anyway. I definitely understand that not everything is perfect, but sometimes things don't make sense. Like why have an inbox without an outbox? But I don't blame the editor/person who messaged me. It's not their fault that a simple way for me to reply wasn't provided outside of email, which is my fault as I haven't ever updated my email address with Waze as I've never had a reason before to check that it was valid. And since I'm always all over my email, I know that I would have gotten it and not run into this issue should it have been properly updated by me.

Again, thank you both for your help/insight. I will PM the editor as I know that the change I'm making will help others heading to the same place because the map doesn't realize there is a left turn allowed in a certain part of this road so it routes you all over the place to get to the right spot.

Thanks again.
simplyandyg
Send a message