Post by the1who
Yeah, I don't really know every place that it is provided as a service, but if we are having issues as it is, and they are explaining that it is based on the amount of data that is incoming based on the surge of new users and on the new release...what's another quantifiable amount matter right? If you make something stable with 10 users but has flaws every now and then, maybe predictably each week, it might be the same if 100 users were active. Now, am I to believe that 1000 users from 10 with the same problems means there won't be new problems that I should have forecasted? Or should I have prepared for it? Granted, 1.4 Billion more is not an accurate way to predict actual users, but from .1 to 1 is a big jump. Let me change the scale, from 1 to 10? 100 Million to 1,000 Million? It's a numbers game yes, but if 100 Million users right now, allowed for these problems, would 1,000 Million more users still experience the same problem? I doubt it, I envision bigger problems will arise. I hope they work through it, I hope that the funds are spent wisely on improving reliability, redundancy and less dependency on a foreign server, I mean, each country. If USA has it's own server, I don't think it should be relying on Israel or UK, or I don't think UK should be relying on USA from working. Maybe I don't know about how it really works, but if one goes down, I would hope that another could help take over the load. If one goes down, it doesn't crash everyone else. That is what I hope is realized. There might be only a fraction of the amount of potential users in China or wherever else, just like in the US and UK, not everyone is using Waze, but I imagine potential for much more severe problems than we are letting ourselves believe.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by Timbones
Does this count as an open reply? Daily Processes temporarily halted due to system overload
Waze wrote:We are temporarily halting the daily processes that digest the routes driven as well as updates the map and client tiles.

This is due to the enormous load we are experiencing with the current featuring of version 3.0. and in order to enable us to preserve the real-time service, while delaying the off-line related services until the surge is reduced to a more manageable rate.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
I guess I should have quoted the next bit as well:
Further to the release of version 3.0 (Android version to be released as well), our efforts and thoughts are now concentrated on the infrastructure and scaling related issues and processes so as to achieve the goal of the 24 hour cycle. This includes redesign and development of major components such as the drive merging process and the tile creation which is estimated to take several weeks to complete.
I do think they are taking this infrastructure thing seriously, and are working towards something better... :)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Last edited by Timbones on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Timbones
dmcconachie wrote: I would say waze has *significantly* more data throughput!
I would say banks and insurance companies have *significantly* more money!
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
The instability and unpredictability of Waze is by far my biggest frustration.

I caught a Facebook post from them this morning, saying that there may be a large influx of users due to their current high ranking on the app store. My first thought was: GREAT, we're going to have even more processing delays on top of the ones we're already having. They still seem concerned mainly about recruiting new users rather than retaining their most loyal.
unwallflower
Send a message