Comments for "Daily Processes temporarily halted..."

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Comments for "Daily Processes temporarily halted..."

Postby gettingthere » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:33 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:
gettingthere wrote:Although I thought that they re-did the points calculation process in July 2011 when they were having difficulty with points calculations at that time...

That process appears to still be online and it's more the merger and trace processes that are offline and being rewritten.

They need to offload the points calculation to a completely different, parallel process. I may not understand it all fully, but it seems to me that points calculation for raw miles driven, candies, etc should be easy to add up quickly. What needs more calculation is new road recording and munching before points can be posted.

Although miles driven may not be able to be calculated until the gps tracks and routes are processed. Otherwise how does Waze know how much you have driven?
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 pm

unwallflower wrote:I'm sitting over here pouting a little bit.

Trying not to be too negative, but I'm also getting tired of defending Waze to frustrated new users when I'm starting to feel just as frustrated myself. Anyone could have seen this overload coming, it should not have come to the point of having to turn everything off.

Well hopefully Waze really understands what is currently wrong with the way that they are doing things and is on track to correct it promptly.

Yes, we have been complaining about these infrastructure issues for many months. It seems that Waze has just realized that we have been correct, things were really getting much worse, and is now taking action - late.

To be honest, with the recent state of things, I would not even recommend Waze to my family!
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 pm

asterix06 wrote:I understand it may look frustrating, but I would say "take it easy" ..... and don't forget a baby takes 9 month to born....

Yes, but we are dealing with a toddler here since Waze has been around for a couple/few years now :D
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:54 am

tgfathergoose wrote:Or, turn off the app for a day.

Sorry, bad idea. They will lose a ton of new (and old) Wazers if the Apps is not working world-wide for a day.

tgfathergoose wrote:I have to agree with rlpl. Why continue to make edits when they aren't being updated? I've got users in my area expecting me to get to their problems. I can tell them that I think I've made the change they've requested, but until the maps for the apps are updated, how do we know for sure?

Continue to edit. The changes will go live. If you wait to edit, it's time lost. No reason to delay a thing, your edits are not being lost.

Actually, if everyone thinks like you I am going to go from #10 on the US/Canada Scoreboard to #6 or #7 in no time. I'm not stopping any editing :shock:
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:50 am

Krankyd, does this mean that Waze has rewritten and fixed these automated processes (ie they are not going to be breaking down in the near future)? Or is Waze just starting them up again (unfixed) since Waze 3 is not getting as many new users per day as when it was featured in the Apple App Store?
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Some additional details as posted today on status.waze.com (answers my questions a couple of posts ago):

http://status.waze.com/mapdate-october-31-2011

"The merger process and the points process have been both re-written from scratch and will start running in about two weeks! These processes are MUCH FASTER than the existing ones and we believe that you'd feel a significant improvement.

At the same time we're upgrading our instrafructures by adding more powerful servers which should also improve our capabilities to process big amounts of data."
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 pm

What is the saying - 'the proof is in the pudding' or one of hundreds of others? We'll see how it works after it's implemented.

Remember, supposedly the points process was just redone in July 2011 (at least in regards to the US/Canada server) to allow it to process more data.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krankyd » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:38 pm

hi guys,
if all goes well, we will start the daily processes again either later on today or tomorrow. We'll keep you posted on the status page once they're up, and remove the announcement. thanks.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby leocylau » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm

gettingthere wrote:The merger process and the points process have been both re-written from scratch and will start running in about two weeks!

cool 8-) two weeks...can't wait for it... ;)
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby maantje76 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:56 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Originally posted by argus-cronos:

Thanks Fej. We vote for a stable infrastructure instead of a 24h cycle, points and less important things.

Agree with this, stability is much more important. I think (and hope) this announcement is about both NA and World servers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maantje76
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General