Post by dmcconachie
If the beta version is deemed to be less stable than the current release version and in the time since releasing the beta the decision has been made to cease development of that platform then it makes perfect sense. Both Symbian and Blackberry OS are on their last legs and continuing to use developer time on them is what doesn't make sense.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
You're going to disenfranchise an awful lot of early adopters (of which I consider myself one) if this goes ahead. I can see an argument to create a yearly and/or monthly leaderboard certainly but removing the All-time board is a no-go for me!
dmcconachie
Send a message

dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dohartman
Thanks for the update, hopefully all of this will happen soon, I personally know of a few friends who started using Waze in the last few weeks because I told them how great it was, but because their points were never updated and it always showed them as "joined today" they stopped using it.

Also, any word on why the 3.0 bugs will be fixed on the iPhone? Specifically the one around the events radius limits not working, i.e. setting it to 5 miles is ignored and you see events from any distance.
dohartman
Send a message

Post by eshabtai
We appreciate your feedback, the good and the bad. It is obvious by just reading your comments that all of you are very passionate about waze and would like to see it deliver on its promise. This kind of feedback (especially the things you feel are not working properly) is very helpful and will be taken into consideration as we prioritize our plans.

As for some of the questions:
- Our routing servers are currently running under capacity. We still have some slow paths which may affect the response time but the service should be stable. We do have some work we're doing on improving the tiles replacement when we update the map every few days so in that period of time you may see some issues (timeout, broken routes). This is being worked on. But in general I'm not aware of any issues. So if you constantly get timeouts or broken routes every day, please post about it (with details on the time and route).
- We know that the new cartouche backend is not stable and we're working on it. Some of the issues will only be solved after we rebuild all the cache. We'll update when that process is done. It would be helpful if you could start a thread and just note the time and the issue you're having. We are monitoring most aspects of the backend which should automatically notify us when issues arise, but we might be missing something.

Thanks again,

Ehud
eshabtai
Send a message

Post by eshabtai
jondrush wrote:
eshabtai wrote: It would be helpful if you could start a thread and just note the time and the issue you're having. We are monitoring most aspects of the backend which should automatically notify us when issues arise, but we might be missing something.
In which forum would you like us to post this? We have been posting most of the outages I've observed.
We will setup a form and post a message about it.

Thanks.
eshabtai
Send a message

Post by faitaru
dmcconachie wrote:Mixed messages then because I've definitely seen confirmation from several members of waze that only iOS and Android will be actively developed for the moment.
I have seen similar, although I can't think where I read it. Possibly a thread in the announcements forum about future versions.

My understanding as far as BB is concerned is that waze will continue to provide support for the current BB version, and even make small updates for important bug fixes. However they have stated that due to changing the way they have designed and made the apps for iPhone 3.0 and the upcoming Android 3.0, it is not possible for them to produce this newer version for BB. The same also applies for Symbian and Windows Mobile.

As far as communicating this to the users, I would be in agreement that it has not been handled in an ideal manner. I would look at it this way though. As good as the interactions on Facebook and Twitter are, I would still only really consider them on the same level as a customer service representative of any company. They will only have a certain level of info available to them for answering user queries, so while they are able to tell you that a "new version" may be upcoming in the future, they won't necessarily know the particulars of what that involves.

I think I share in the frustrations of the Android users out there. We know 3.0 is coming for us at some point; we also know there is no set date for release at this current time, so we just need to suck it and be patient.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 4S • iOS 8.2 • Waze 3.9.3928.928
AM for Nowhere :(UK Country Admin • iOS Beta Tester • Mega Driver
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status

Post by gettingthere
noam wrote:Just to be clear - the routing server performance IS being worked on. We are working on better distribution and scaling of the server. We don't have an ETA on it but it obviously keeps us up at night (literally)
WOW. A post from the Waze CEO!

Thanks for taking the feedback from your dedicated users seriously! We are just as interested as you in Waze being successful (even without a financial incentive)!

We hope that you and your employees continue to keep the updates on these improvements coming. I am very happy that your team is working on coding, process, performance, and redundancy to make the Waze experience more reliable.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Andreas - excellent post!

You are absolutely correct that if Waze want's to be successful, they need to focus on retaining users. Of course the infrastructure working correctly is critical to keeping users engaged and using the product.

Also, great points regarding Waze needing to reach out to the 1% of the users doing 90% of the map editing work. The new Cartouche is great, but really needs to be finished up. The periodic slow downs in the editor as well as the very frustrating road layer not updating that occurs from time to time needs to be resolved. And as you say, the improved Update Request mechanism needs to be deployed - promised many times, but not yet delivered.

Patience is needed though. Waze needs to clear the nagging infrastructure issues that they are currently focusing on.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Dave2084 wrote:
scroggin-info wrote:
scroggin-info wrote: :idea: It is time to restart the points.
This is a bad idea IMHO!
I don't like this idea either.

gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message