US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Postby aeytom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:58 am

Hi,

sorry, one more question. It would be nice to have an official well documented papyrus plugin API. This makes it a lot easier to write community plugins for the editor. New functions can be tested as plugins.

best regards
tom
AM: Berlin South/East, Fläming; Nexus 4
aeytom

Postby aeytom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi,

okay, i'll try to explain it. But my english is very poor. Sorry in advance. (Ich bitte schon mal im Voraus um Entschuldigung für mein schlechtes Englisch)

First point: There are lots of functions requested by by the post of jondrush on 03 Jan 2012, 22:51. Most of this functions will not not realized by waze, because this functions are to complex/special. There is a chance for a programmer in the waze community to realize these functions. This is only possible with a proper documented API.

First and a half point: If waze is realizing new functions, these functions can be tested as plugin, like the google labs model.

Second point: My extended editor function (easy river drawing) runs well on google chrome but firefox will not display the newly created landmarks. In contrast: The waze extended tools runs well in firefox but have difficulties in Chrome. This is mainly a problem of the missing documentation. And at least, realizing functions using greasemonkey is a very ugly hack in my opinion. Integrating my function using greasemonkey costs me more time as the core function.

In german:

jondrush hat am 03 Jan 2012, 22:51 eine Menge neue Funktionen vorgeschlagen. Die meisten dieser Funktionen werden vermutlich nicht von waze realisiert. Möglicherweise finden sich aber Programmierer in der Waze-Community, die diese Funktionen realisieren. Das ist aber nur wahrscheinlich, wenn es eine gut dokumentierte API gibt.

Wenn waze neue Funktionen realisiert, können diese leicht als Plugin getested werden, ähnlich wie es auch beim Google Labs Modell der Fall ist.

Meine Funktion für die einfache Erstellung von Flüssen funktioniert gut in Chrome, aber in Firefox tauchen die Flüsse nach der Erstellung nicht auf. Die Waze Extended Tools funktionieren in Firefox besser als in Chrome. Meiner Meinung nach ist das hauptsächlich ein Problem der fehlenden Dokumentation. Greasemonkey als Grundlage für solche Erweiterungen kann eigentlich nur als böser Hack bezeichnet werden. Die Integration meiner Funktion mit Greasemonkey hat mich mehr Zeit gekostet, als die eigentliche Funktion zu schreiben.

best regards / viele Grüße
tom

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
aeytom wrote:It would be nice to have an official well documented papyrus plugin API. This makes it a lot easier to write community plugins for the editor. New functions can be tested as plugins.

I think the easy answer there is no API. What has been written merely accesses the data structures which Papyrus and the LiveMap create in the browser environment. I doubt Waze will ever make any kind of API. But you could be referring to documenting the data structures...
AM: Berlin South/East, Fläming; Nexus 4
aeytom

US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:00 pm

There are several mega-Wazers who are unable to attend the meetup in Palo Alto in January, and there are a lot of future mega-Wazers who have good, and great, questions or concerns. Personally, I may use Waze a lot, do lots of editing, and have some ideas, but I know I'm not the visionary-type and therefore can't come up with those great questions or amazing future functionalities.

This forum is wide and deep, and some never make it out of their country sub-forums, so I am not exposed to the country-specific forums where issues and questions are discussed as well. Some may make it into the main forums, but not always.

I'm requesting that you post your question(s), comments, and issues on Waze in this thread. I will copy/summarize everyone's contributions in the 2nd post of this thread, just below.

Of course, those who are attending the meet-up don't necessarily need to post your super-secret-awesomeness-questions here if you'd like to save them for the meet-up.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Questions, comments, and issues already posted in this thread are found here:
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Here is what I've gathered so far from this thread as well as others. I am sure I am missing a boat-load of issues we could discuss, but we only have six hours or so, and part of that is likely to be presentation-style. I've emailed Dror and Fej to request that we have a more working-session style meeting.

These are loosely categorized, and there is a mix of short-term fixes/bugs which we've seen repeatedly as well as longer-term "bigger" functionality requests. You will see "repeats" in different sections by function as there are some which cross the "boundaries." Organization and prioritization will happen next. I will, as suggested, look to create a survey outside of this forum, to help prioritize.

Map
  • Map tile generation constantly delayed for weeks on both systems. Paris meetup it was stated that these servers are under capacity. Then, "We have a problem currently to update the shields with the automated process because we don't want to overload the tiles builder process (as it is very loaded currently)." Explain this apparent contradiction.
  • Road-naming syntax: commas or slashes, TTS interpretation (guessing what TTS will say), hypens or spaces, naming of concurrent roads, spelling out US Highway 52 vs. US Hwy 52 vs. US-52, or I-5 vs. I- 5, exits, etc.
  • Concurrent highway routes: multiple name display, multiple shield display, future use of alt names
  • Shield generation in general: when? how? get it more automatic; no more manual requests; make it work for all current allowed naming conventions without manual intervention
  • Toll roads
  • HOV lanes, time-based turn restrictions, time-based road directionality
  • Railroads
  • Ferries
  • For the US: Major vs. Minor highway type; mixing major, minor, freeway, or how to be consistent without having changes for mixed-type roads

LiveMap
  • Official route list integration
  • Change to vector so that different zoom levels don't have to be built

Client
  • Auto-zoom problems on the client.
  • Not keeping user set zoom level.
  • North-up to be fixed/set permanently
  • Autozoom by distance makes the road you are on disappear because it is a "street" type
  • Navigation list
  • Toll road avoidance
  • Vehicle type (motorcycle, bicycle, HOV, moving hazard)
  • TTS fixes to ensure proper pronunciation and other things like "St" vs St." and "Penn" is not Pennsylvania, and other common issues; how to deal with these and get them reported and fixed
  • When requesting a route, should alternate routes be shown first?
  • Routing request and alternate routes response time. (Should be no more than 1s?)
  • Ability to turn off notifications along with hiding them from the map
  • Pre-caching entire route at the start
  • Waze-native voice control of major functions like navigation, hazard entry, map errors, paving and sub-functions of each (dictating text, or recording voice functions for hazards), including button taps for dialogs

Routing
  • First of multiple exit ramp names not spoken issue continues. It has been about 9 months now with no fix. (Skipped ramp names.)
  • Railroads still allowed to be routed on
  • Walking trails still allowed to be routed on
  • How road type, name, angle affects in exactly what situations the routing server will give any particular turn instruction to the client
  • Impact of street type on routing: streets ignored for routes of certain length, even if they are both faster and shorter; street type and penalties
  • Routing request and alternate routes response time. (Should be no more than 1s?)
  • Traffic conditions affect on routing; threshold for route adjustment; route adjustment based on historical data
  • Why, when fastest is selected for routing, does Waze show a slower route than an alternate route, as the first choice?
  • Destinations will never be on a freeway, therefore always route to the closest non-freeway segment.

Editor
  • "Drive" traces for map problems do not match up with any GPS points
  • GPS layer fixes (in the beta currently better; not sure if it is "fixed"): what is optimal?
  • When do we start getting points for fixing map problems and showing on the dashboard
  • Turn restriction discrepancies between Cartouche and Papyrus; allow all turns show not set allowed impossible turns
  • Until the new UR system is rolled out, need to have the reply-to email address set to the editor's (not the from address!), and the status needs to be properly reflected, not just "fixed"
  • New UR system
  • RSS feed for update requests by area manager; international by country
  • Toll roads
  • Alt names

Communication
  • IGN!
  • Update request Wazer and editor
  • Client releases, editor version changes/updates
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 pm

RickW-NC wrote:I would like the livemap to be as accurate as the client (like it was before they "improved" it).

That goes right with the "vector livemap" discussion point. There should be no need to generate multiple zoom levels for the livemap. Just download the vector data and create the client-side code to build the map live from that vector data, just like the editor code does.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:22 pm

gettingthere wrote:
mapcat wrote:This is supposed to be a 6-hour meeting. I'd love it if we could present a list of problems, discuss each of them, and ultimately solve them, but...it's only 6 hours. With 20+ people in the room.

Since the list of issues is already posted here, hopefully someone from Waze has already seen it, knows about all of these issues, and is prioritizing fixing them.

Totally agree. The survey to pare down the questions/topics will be happening.

This thread has been socialized with Dror, Fej and Yael.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:58 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
RickW-NC wrote:I would like the livemap to be as accurate as the client (like it was before they "improved" it).

That goes right with the "vector livemap" discussion point. There should be no need to generate multiple zoom levels for the livemap. Just download the vector data and create the client-side code to build the map live from that vector data, just like the editor code does.

Can a web browser display a vector, or does the server-end have to rasterize it and send it as a bitmap?

Good question. I imagine it would work. They need to build the code for it. Either way, they can do it with the editor and client, so they can do it with livemap. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm

bgodette wrote:... basically all modern web browsers except IE. :roll:

That's redundant. IE isn't in the set of modern browsers. :lol:
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

I am building the survey today and hope to have it out later or early this weekend.

Thank you to everyone who posted questions and feedback.

John, at the end here, awesome list. Probably many items too deep in detail to be able to cover them all. What we will be doing is going a little higher level, and one of those items is how to get answers and feedback promptly on the more detailed items like I have in my first summary list on page two as well as others and yours.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Website, Community, General