US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Postby jondrush » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 pm

One common client topic I don't see discussed is the Other side/my side reporting and hazard displays. Don't want to forget that one.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
Northeast Region Assistant Coordinator
jondrush User Page
ImageImage
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 pm

This is supposed to be a 6-hour meeting. I'd love it if we could present a list of problems, discuss each of them, and ultimately solve them, but...it's only 6 hours. With 20+ people in the room.

Let's focus on some core issues (5-10 max) and on determining the right way to establish open communication between editors and developers. The best thing that can come of this meeting is a new (i.e., fast and less frustrating) method of interaction between the people who design the product, the people who make it work, and the people who use it.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 pm

gettingthere wrote:If Waze doesn't cover it, It would be worthwhile to know what features they are thinking to add into Waze for the next 1-2 years. Lots of discussion around the forums on new features that are so, so important. Would like to know how they think Waze will evolve so we can understand how to respond to forum posts to guide other Wazers.

IMO this would be even more valuable than time spent on "is this a major highway or a minor highway" or "the client does something weird when this happens". Those are absolutely valid concerns, but I think they should be addressed by an actively listening representative of Waze Inc on an ongoing basis. Setting up such a structure ought to be part of the proceedings, along with planning for the future. The meeting provides one of very few opportunities for the staff to interact with the most tuned-in users as we plan Waze 4.0 together.
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm not bringing a laptop with me, so maybe you can catch up to me during the editing marathon.
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Postby mapcat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:21 pm

bgodette wrote:Admit it, you're trying to break 2 million before the meeting.

If I run over enough of the editing candies in my rental car, maybe I will. 8-)
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Nacron » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:39 am

My biggest concern about navigation would be better freeway guidance. In Los Angeles, there are a lot of forks in the freeways and I think that even if you are continuing on, it should warn to stay left or right

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | 4.3 MJ4 | Waze 3.7.7.0 Official
[Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, Hawaii Island, Molokai] Hawaii Area Manager
Nacron
Beta tester
Beta tester

US mega-Wazers meetup: post your questions here!

Postby RickW-NC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:26 am

I would like the livemap to be as accurate as the client (like it was before they "improved" it). I would like to set a departure point in the client (like I could before v3). If my gps is turned off, I do not need 0 length routes in my archive. I am desk checking or trying to preload tiles. The speed of the routes appearing on the dashboard seems to be based on the total number of routes I have. This is just wasting cycles and should be organized a little better. I am also concerned about car manufacturers building in a different system in future models and would like some assurance that is being addressed.
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Postby Shorty-CM » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:30 pm

So many things, it's not even funny. But you already listed most of the pressing ones. ;) The uservoice site is filled with issues, too.

Offline data handling. Won't upload data unless you start with a connection, lose connection, regain connection. The client also crashes, and consequently loses whatever buffer existed, if you lose connection for more than half an hour or so. But there is also a window between crashing and successfully uploading/connecting once you regain an Internet connection. After too many unsuccessful reconnect attempts it either permanently gives up purposely or due to bugs. If it hasn't crashed. This should be fixed. This should also be changed so you have a persistent buffer limited only by disk space. An initial data connection should not be required. You should be able to go record roads without Internet access for weeks or months at a time, get home on wifi, and upload the 50+ GB of data that consumed all the space on your 64 GB iPhone 4S. And then head back out and do it again. But you can't. You need cellular Internet the whole time, more or less. So mapping remote areas, or doing so simply while avoiding using cell data, is impossible.

www vs. world regarding forums is a bit annoying. Emails for subscribed topics contain links don't work from the 'other' domain. You need to manually change one to the other. Completely unnecessary. I don't know if you actually need both domains for other things or not, but for the forums this should be taken care of by getting rid of world.

Cookie issues preventing staying logged in "fixed" by removing the "stay logged in" check box? How hard can it be to fix a "stay logged in" issue? Every other website on the planet seemed to easily avoid that problem.

And more I'm forgetting since I'm so tired at the moment. :)
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Can't have timely data for roads that don't exist in the map yet.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Heh. So if I go out of country and want to pave for weeks or months at a time without wanting to pay roaming fees because my phone is locked, or pay local carrier data fees on my unlocked phone because I feel they're unreasonable, in areas that have plenty of cellular service, but don't have Waze base maps, Waze wouldn't want that data entered?
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General