Post by Shorty-CM
Because I already know how they feel about new map data? You can ask them if you want to know. Heh.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
If that's what you'd like to think, I won't stop you. (Clearly you're very wrong, but whatever. You know it all.)
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
BTW, how do you feel about the plans to remove the paving feature? I thought it was kind of strange when they announced they'd be removing it and would never, ever put it back in again. EVER.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
Don't mind me while I quietly chuckle to myself at how you contradict yourself, seemingly without even being aware of it.

The point is, you're just one person out of over 7 billion. The fact that you think something, or think you know something, doesn't mean the rest of us also think the same way, or think the same things. In my relatively few interactions with you you always come off as if you know absolutely everything there is to possibly know about Waze, even though you do not, and nobody should dare question your vast accumulation of knowledge because nobody could possibly know anything about Waze that you do not. And even after having this pointed out to you, you continue to think that can't possibly be the case, because you know everything there is to know, know the best ways to do everything, and know that there is no need to do anything that you yourself don't do personally. You are not Waze. You are not the only Waze user. Your Waze needs are not shared by every other Waze user universally. And the sooner you realize this, the better.

You don't have a use for paving roads. Good for you. Some of us, however, do. I know of several locations in the world where aerial data is meaningless. So as much as you love your aerial data, it isn't useful for everyone. It doesn't even exist for everyone. And there are plenty of places where only incredibly low resolution data exists that is of no use to editing Waze maps.

I love how you bring up earning points regarding paving with your nose stuck high in the air, as if the only reason anyone paves is to get points for it, and that this is a foolish endeavor and those that undertake it should be snorted at. Believe it or not, some people pave to ACTUALLY GET ROADS IN THE MAP so that there will actually be a map to use to make using the Waze client useful for driving. And the paving feature lets that happen. And you don't have to believe me that Waze is happy the recording feature exists. They did put it in there for a reason, after all. And the fact that they have publicly expressed their joy at what people do with it on many occasions proves that they do, in fact, want people to use it, no matter what you think of the feature. Basemaps still do not exist for lots of countries in the world. For some places, this will not likely change, too. So users recording roads is the only means by which those places will ever get mapped. Your assumption that no cellular service exists where I would like to record, and thus nobody would ever contribute any data to Waze that Waze could make money off of, is ludicrous.

Just as an example of this, I'd love to go visit my dad, who has retired down in Costa Rica. He has said to me that the map situation down there is pretty bad, after the first time I showed him Waze during one of his visits back home. He thought it would be perfect down there. And I couldn't agree more. And I wouldn't mind doing a ton of mapping down there whenever I get down there to visit him. But I don't necessarily like the thought of paying through the nose for roaming data, or local carriers' data prices, in order to get that done. I'd much rather just head out and map, and when I get back home I could upload the data once a data connection exists again. Or even just when I get back to his house down there. Then the map could be more complete, and people down there could start using Waze more than they currently are. When he was up here last we took a look at the current Waze maps around where he lives, and there was some roads in there. But not a lot. But it wouldn't take much to get a whole lot done down there, even by just one guy, me. And when I go visit him, I was planning on helping out with whatever the current state of the map is. I know how long it took me to do about ~1600 km of Vancouver Island before we got a base map, so I know I could get a lot done during a visit down there. Even if you think the paving feature and the offline buffer are both useless. I know from a fair bit of experience, and seeing others use it even more than I have, that it is far from useless.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
No, actually I think you're the one having trouble remembering what you've posted.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
Why not simply record the thing?
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
If iRacing wasn't so addicting I don't think anyone would have ever caught up to me. ;) But, it is VERY addicting, haha.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by tigertanghao
For myself, most important is still "avoid toll road". I know it's "planned" as on uservoice. Just want to know a bit more details about the progress, issue or concern.
It's a key feature for lots of users. If allow me to vote, this would be the #1 priority.
Hope somebody could help to ask about it in the meeting.

Hao on phone
tigertanghao
Send a message