French Law and Waze

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Re: French Law and Waze

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:38 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unless the Euro version of Google Maps is different than the US version, GM doesn't give voice navigation.

? They both do!

I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.

Ah right, that would make sense
dmcconachie

Re: Re: French Law and Waze

Postby gettingthere » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With all their data, it seems they are looking to have their own proprietary roadmap, plus possibly all the other rumored things, as well as a huge amount of traffic data.

I have been watching the GPS indicator in settings, location services, system services, traffic and indeed this is often on when I am driving. So Apple surely has the most real time traffic data of any provider. If they are able to harness this data and filter appropriately for users that are not moving with the traffic flow (something that Waze is currently very poor at) they may have a great navigation product with excellent routing around traffic.

Of course it's not likely that all will be well on the initial release. IF they ever release anything....
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:55 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.

Correct. iOS Maps is Google Maps, but apparently not as functional for navigation as the Google Maps apps available on other platforms.

We're talkin' semantics here, as I believe the app is actually made by Apple, but uses Google services like map data and "navigation." Apple would have to update the Maps app to take advantage of other services or to build in turn-by-turn voice navigation, which is what they are presumably doing with all their acquisitions and default gathering of traffic data in iOS on all devices. With all their data, it seems they are looking to have their own proprietary roadmap, plus possibly all the other rumored things, as well as a huge amount of traffic data.

I reserve the right be totally incorrect about who wrote the Maps app.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.

Correct. iOS Maps is Google Maps, but apparently not as functional for navigation as the Google Maps apps available on other platforms.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unless the Euro version of Google Maps is different than the US version, GM doesn't give voice navigation.

? They both do!

I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:03 pm

? They both do!
dmcconachie

Re: French Law and Waze

Postby mahieu50 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm

shirlig wrote:Hi guys,
We have recently addressed this issue.
I have previously mentioned in the French forum that as a global worldwide company, we don't have adaptations for specific countries.
However, wazers who are willing to do so can select which elements will not be displayed on the map. This option can be found in the app's map setting.

Thanks,
Shirli

thank you so much! I have chosen waze because it has not been modified so as to comply with the new french law. icoyote and other popular GPS products are now dead cows in france...
mahieu50

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

While Shirli's advice is correct, it doesn't stop the pop-up notification, which we've requested a setting for for about a year now. That could potentially get Waze in hot water in France.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Seasider » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:28 am

Hi guys, I used to travel all over europe (and further) as part as part of my job, and I had a very fancy sat nav unit, which had speedcam locations on it.
I took advice from a solicitor and a policeman who told me that as long as you turn off the speed camera option then you are complying with the law.
An earlier poster was asking about a one touch app off button, why? Surely just put waze into the background using the home button, and as already had been said the police have no right to look at your phone in the first place, so job done :?::?:
Seasider

Location: In the dark recesses of my own mind - and Blackpool, Lancs

Postby shirlig » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am

Hi guys,
We have recently addressed this issue.
I have previously mentioned in the French forum that as a global worldwide company, we don't have adaptations for specific countries.
However, wazers who are willing to do so can select which elements will not be displayed on the map. This option can be found in the app's map setting.

Thanks,
Shirli
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Next

Return to Website, Community, General