French Law and Waze

Moderator: Unholy

Re: French Law and Waze

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:38 pm

If we lose French users we lose the main contributors to the Papyrus Extended Tools! :o ;)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14

Postby shirlig » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am

Hi guys,
We have recently addressed this issue.
I have previously mentioned in the French forum that as a global worldwide company, we don't have adaptations for specific countries.
However, wazers who are willing to do so can select which elements will not be displayed on the map. This option can be found in the app's map setting.

Thanks,
Shirli
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby Shaigan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

rapierski wrote:Want to close waze with one button?

Press 'sleep' button on your device. When during control someone asks you to turn it on you can do it if you wish.

I know how stressful police checks can be and I know that even a simple thing like the unlock code can be easily forgotten at that moment ;-]

... Just a thought

+1

In France, the police has not the right to ask you something in you car, even in your phone. It is a Private Property. For Waze to be given illegal, the police must see you using Waze during a speedtrap alert (how to say "flagrant délit" in english ?).
So, yes, in France now, Waze is illegal if the speedtrap alert is set to ON, but nobody in the police can catch you doing something illegal... This law is unapplicable...
[ Shaigan & Cie | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager | Waze Android sur Nexus 4 ]
Shaigan
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Shaigan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:27 am

The law says :
During 4 km long, there is an alert on freeways to say there is a danger inside
During 2 km long, there is an alert on off-town roads to say there is a danger inside
During 300 m long, there is an alert on city-roads to say there is a danger inside

A danger could be a speedlimit change, a speedtrap, a big turn... But, the words "speedtrap" and "police" are now forbidden in a navigation system; and the position can't be mentionned, it should be an interval, a distance where the "danger" inside (4km, 2km or 300m in function of the road type)
[ Shaigan & Cie | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager | Waze Android sur Nexus 4 ]
Shaigan
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Seasider » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:28 am

Hi guys, I used to travel all over europe (and further) as part as part of my job, and I had a very fancy sat nav unit, which had speedcam locations on it.
I took advice from a solicitor and a policeman who told me that as long as you turn off the speed camera option then you are complying with the law.
An earlier poster was asking about a one touch app off button, why? Surely just put waze into the background using the home button, and as already had been said the police have no right to look at your phone in the first place, so job done :?::?:
Seasider

Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel, is just a train coming the other way!!!

Client - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Jellybean
AM - Lancs UK (most of)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Seasider1972
Emyther - waze.map.update.lancs@gmail.com
Seasider

Location: In the dark recesses of my own mind - and Blackpool, Lancs

French Law and Waze

Postby rapierski » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Want to close waze with one button?

Press 'sleep' button on your device. When during control someone asks you to turn it on you can do it if you wish.

I know how stressful police checks can be and I know that even a simple thing like the unlock code can be easily forgotten at that moment ;-]

... Just a thought
rapierski

Postby RallyChris » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

I know it is probably the ability to, that they are legislating...

But maybe as a stopgap, you turn off the display of the human based reports (hazards, police, chit chat). Yes you can still access them, but it can show that you at least attempted to not take advantage of it.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby Poopstick » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 pm

And from what I got from that thread in the French forum, a policeman can't take your phone to see what's in there during a control. And it's not a law, it's a regulation, since they know such a ban would unconstitutional since citizens have the right to share informations. People who were cought making light signals to drivers on the opposite lane to warn them of speed traps always won.
Nexus 4 - Android 4.2.2
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby mahieu50 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm

shirlig wrote:Hi guys,
We have recently addressed this issue.
I have previously mentioned in the French forum that as a global worldwide company, we don't have adaptations for specific countries.
However, wazers who are willing to do so can select which elements will not be displayed on the map. This option can be found in the app's map setting.

Thanks,
Shirli

thank you so much! I have chosen waze because it has not been modified so as to comply with the new french law. icoyote and other popular GPS products are now dead cows in france...
mahieu50

Postby jenncard » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:40 pm

One of my most amusing experiences was listening to my housemate and the insurance agent, once they realized they were supporters of the same political party, figure out how to insure my car. I was there illegally.
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Next

Return to Website, Community, General