Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

French Law and Waze

Post by autourdupc
Hi,

Today is a new day in France.
According to French law, it is now strictly forbidden to use a navigation system that give the exact position of police and radars.
The Penalty is : 1500 € and 6 points deduct from licence driver (among 12 points). :shock:

Due to this very uggly law, we will have to take care of the use of waze.

Would it be possible to have a button or equivalent that permits to close the apps in one touch ?

Actually, we need to press twice on the screen... And in case of police, this is too long and can be seen by policemen.
A "one click close apps button" would be greatly appreciated. :D
autourdupc

POSTER_ID:4838853

Send a message
France - French - Galaxy S3 - Android Version 4.1.2 - Stock ROM
Translator for french language - "Localization expert"

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RallyChris wrote:But maybe as a stopgap, you turn off the display of the human based reports (hazards, police, chit chat). Yes you can still access them, but it can show that you at least attempted to not take advantage of it.
There is no way to stop the popups, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:Agreed. Might need to email Waze HQ as they're probably not aware of the new legislation.
Sent it about a hour ago with a link to this thread.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Autourdupc wrote:If waze lost its functionnalities bec. I'm in France, I uninstall Waze and use another software.
That would be sad if that were to happen. However, Waze may have no choice if faced with being removed completely from the App Store if it retains "user-selectable functionality."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dmcconachie wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unless the Euro version of Google Maps is different than the US version, GM doesn't give voice navigation.
? They both do!
I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.
Correct. iOS Maps is Google Maps, but apparently not as functional for navigation as the Google Maps apps available on other platforms.
We're talkin' semantics here, as I believe the app is actually made by Apple, but uses Google services like map data and "navigation." Apple would have to update the Maps app to take advantage of other services or to build in turn-by-turn voice navigation, which is what they are presumably doing with all their acquisitions and default gathering of traffic data in iOS on all devices. With all their data, it seems they are looking to have their own proprietary roadmap, plus possibly all the other rumored things, as well as a huge amount of traffic data.

I reserve the right be totally incorrect about who wrote the Maps app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
While Shirli's advice is correct, it doesn't stop the pop-up notification, which we've requested a setting for for about a year now. That could potentially get Waze in hot water in France.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by atluu
By law, the French government has restricted the speed camera notification :-(
Only "dangerous zones" can be notified 3km in advance.
The French governement has submited a full listing for "dangerous zones" (with or without speed cam), we could use that to notify an obstacle in front for waze users.

Any of your comments are welcome.

---
Waze ID : atluu
atluu
Send a message

Post by autourdupc
Shaigan wrote:The law says :
During 4 km long, there is an alert on freeways to say there is a danger inside
During 2 km long, there is an alert on off-town roads to say there is a danger inside
During 300 m long, there is an alert on city-roads to say there is a danger inside

A danger could be a speedlimit change, a speedtrap, a big turn... But, the words "speedtrap" and "police" are now forbidden in a navigation system; and the position can't be mentionned, it should be an interval, a distance where the "danger" inside (4km, 2km or 300m in function of the road type)
You are right...

Now the problem is that waze seem to be forbiden in France.
In a first time, I think that a "Quick Shutdown button" is a temporary solution... And then we will need a software modification...
autourdupc
Send a message

Post by autourdupc
Hi all,

I'm french, and don't want waze restricted... Maybe we can have more settings to define witch alerts we wants or not.
i.e. All GPS systems like TOMTOM can be used, but alerts for police must be removed from the TOMTOM.

If waze lost its functionnalities bec. I'm in France, I uninstall Waze and use another software.

Regards,
Laurent.
autourdupc
Send a message