Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Daknife
dmcconachie wrote:
daknife wrote:Either that or they'll report or correct the data themselves, and the speed limit data will soon be far more accurate than on any other service out there. Just as letting people drive on incomplete maps is a complete waste of time, and naming streets or numbering houses is a complete waste of time. Your logic simply does not follow in regards to a user edited platform.

And as to the $$$$ reply, yes they paid for the speed limit data from some source. Waze can get that same data for free within a very short period of time.
The logic absolutely follows. The maps do not need to be 100% to be useful, speed limits do. The map will gradually learn of its own accord if left long enough, speed limits will not. Maps are crucial to the functioning of the map, speed limits are not. Look out your windscreen to see speed limits, if there are not enough signs then contact your local council!

Waze will undoubtedly bend to pressure on this and implement something, it'll be horribly labour intensive, data will be patchy at best and most folk will either switch it off or end up complaining on here about how bad it is.
So just like most the maps. People either switch Waze off, or complain about it, or a group goes to work and makes it work. A prime example of this was Las Vegas NV. When I first got CM status I wandered down there in response to a UR up in my state. Low and behold it was a mess and outside the Interstates and maybe along the strip it was a field of UR's and MP's and nobody was doing anything to make it better. I spent a few weeks working hard on it. At first new UR's were appearing faster than I could clear them, but gradually as I got first the main roads routeable and then into the subdivisions I started pulling ahead. And suddenly local editors started jumping in and editing. Now on the rare occasion I happen to bounce in to respond to an unlock request I see very few UR's and MP's and evidence of several active editors. Speed limits will work the same. Yes we may need some additional junction points in some places, or perhaps Waze can come up with another way of us marking the start point of a new speed limit. It probably will need a junction but perhaps they can come up with a visual indicator that the extra nodes are related to speed limits say a square node instead of a round node or a star.

Will this come, maybe maybe not. This weekend is the Waze meet in Palo Alto (I couldn't go), maybe this feature'll be discussed there, maybe not. Someone says to look out the window for speed limits, well sometimes you miss a sign or it's been knocked down, or badly placed or they just need more of them, but wouldn't it be nice to have an indicator on your screen of what users have said the posted limit there is? Who hasn't driven somewhat nervously for a ways on occasion when they realize they don't remember seeing a speed limit sign for a while and hoping to see a sign so they can know if they are or are not speeding.

I would have the settings screen where a user can opt to turn it on, have a warning caveat that the data may not be entirely accurate and to trust signs before Waze. But I can see it quickly being adapted across the road system. And errors and or changes would be quickly noted and corrected.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by DavidM78z
+1

Would be very nice to have speed limit's on the roads on the map.
DavidM78z
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Very very much no!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
ryryryry87 wrote:i am kind of curious the ages of people supporting this compared to those against this :roll:
Implying...?
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
luftms wrote:I agree!
With what?
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
daknife wrote:Either that or they'll report or correct the data themselves, and the speed limit data will soon be far more accurate than on any other service out there. Just as letting people drive on incomplete maps is a complete waste of time, and naming streets or numbering houses is a complete waste of time. Your logic simply does not follow in regards to a user edited platform.

And as to the $$$$ reply, yes they paid for the speed limit data from some source. Waze can get that same data for free within a very short period of time.
The logic absolutely follows. The maps do not need to be 100% to be useful, speed limits do. The map will gradually learn of its own accord if left long enough, speed limits will not. Maps are crucial to the functioning of the map, speed limits are not. Look out your windscreen to see speed limits, if there are not enough signs then contact your local council!

Waze will undoubtedly bend to pressure on this and implement something, it'll be horribly labour intensive, data will be patchy at best and most folk will either switch it off or end up complaining on here about how bad it is.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by DWDP
I understand speed limits data may be missing or wrong.
I also agree we don't' need drivers to be distracted looking at speed limits.

My solution is "better than nothing" just beep loud when my speed exceedes known speed limit by a selectable threshold.
I don't even need to see the limit on screen, if this is the problem.
Just want to have the opportunity to be warned loud if I am too much over the limit, so I can slow down ad avoid risking to loose my driving licence!
DWDP
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Well said. If you need to look at a screen to know what speed you should be doing because you were eating a burger or texting, and then bitch when you get a ticket, then for the love of God stay off the roads. I don't need my insurance premiums going up or a member of my family killed because Waze added another feature for people to mess about with their phones with because some nob wanted to check the speed limit instead of being aware and driving! /rant

using Tapatalk

Mod edit: removed profanity that may be inappropriate for some forum readers
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
BIG NO! I disabled this on every gps I used so far - not because I speed all the time, but because the continuous false alarms this feature gave. Of every map, speed seems to be the first part that is outdated. Housenumbers is less work than this - housenumbers tend to stay over the years. Speeds tend not to.

Given that all the big map-providers have a lot of problems doing this right I am very sceptic that Waze can do this by means of importing, regulary, of updated speeds from a mystical, all-knowing source of speeds. Waze may get some data from some source and then rely on the crowd to set and keep it right.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Believe me, you will switch that darn beep off in no time.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1