Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by fvwazing
ryryryry87 wrote: There are no known (to me, yet) issues to the map in my city, and I constantly look on the map for stuff to do. I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)
I wished I had your problems! :evil:
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
OldGnome wrote: However, my understanding of the data used by Garmin is that it is "informational" and "used for calculating trip times."

That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the data. I have, in fact, found a few locations where we lived in WI where the data is quite inaccurate.
Every GPS I owned between 1998 and now offered this so-much-wanted speedalert. With fresh mapdata I would get irrelevant warnings some of the time; before the maps where 2 years old I would get false positives (and false negatives, but you don't hear those) all of the time. This type of data is very volatile and changing all of the time.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by gettingthere
Learned at the Palo Alto meet-up (side conversation with Ehud, Waze founder and CTO). Waze is considering adding speed limits in the future (at least in the United States). They consider it a safety feature.

Also, they are looking into whether they can implement with some existing data. Not clear if this import will be a one-time thing and then Wazers will be responsible to update or whether it will be a full external source with updates.

Also not clear on the time line of this feature.

There was a general - if the back end database needs to change for any new features, this will push these types of changes to > 6 months out. Waze is re-working the infrastructure to allow for a new tile updating system. This is expected to take some time...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
fvwazing wrote:BIG NO! I disabled this on every gps I used so far - not because I speed all the time, but because the continuous false alarms this feature gave. Of every map, speed seems to be the first part that is outdated. Housenumbers is less work than this - housenumbers tend to stay over the years. Speeds tend not to.

Given that all the big map-providers have a lot of problems doing this right I am very sceptic that Waze can do this by means of importing, regulary, of updated speeds from a mystical, all-knowing source of speeds. Waze may get some data from some source and then rely on the crowd to set and keep it right.
I agree that this is a major undertaking to keep updated with minimal benefit. But Waze seems to think otherwise.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
iahim wrote: If I understand correctly, for each road, Waze keeps a record of the the average hourly speed. They could use the maximum hourly average to estimate the speed limit. Based on that, like somebody suggested a few weeks ago in a post, change the color of the speedometer to let you know that you may be above the speed limit (green if you're at or bellow the speed limit, yellow for 10% above, etc.) That's less likely to create problems than displaying an incorrect speed limit on the screen.
We've been through this discussion before in another thread.

Waze's average speed has absolutely no direct relationship to a speed limit. Waze does not need to be presenting this data as speed limits.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Sorry, I don't agree with using anything other than the actual speed limit data. You absolutely can not present an estimated speed limit as the 'speed limit'. That is wrong.

So you are going to tell the police that pulls you over for speeding: 'I am using Waze and it says the speed limit is 52 mph.' The police will respond: 'oh really, isn't that the free gps software that lets you report our speed traps, distract you when driving, and now makes up the speed limit? Well since you are so smart and the speed limit is actually 25 mph on that last curve I'm going to write you up for speeding, wreckless driving, and texting too. How about that!'
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
lchamp423 wrote:When I see a police patrol, I quickly check the Garmin to confirm my speed limit in case I missed the last sign. Yeah, it would be nice if the Waze software included this. It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, so I'll keep using the Garmin for now...and the Waze, too...
So when you get pulled over for speeding, good luck convincing the police officer that you were following the speed limit on your Garmin and not the signs posted on the road :P
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Another big issue here is that Waze would likely base this info on a per road segment basis. The speed limits are not necessarily going to change at the location of a segment on the Waze map. So segments will have to be inserted all over the map and there is no insert segment function in WME. Yes, you can create a temporary road, junction, and remove - but it's not intuitive. What happens when newbie editors forget to set the turn restrictions as these new junctions? The routing is going to break.

Then what will happen when an editor who does not realize a junction is on the map for a speed limit change? When the junction is deleted which speed limit will Waze keep of the two that were split at the junction? Oops, there you go more bad data.

If Waze implements this in their usual way it's going to be a complete mess.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
So if you are sitting at home with WME editor open and the built in functions how are you to determine what a speed limit is for a road segment, where is begins and where it ends? Remember the example where the sigh is knocked down (ie Street View and similar of no value).

Does your area have some government published speed limit data that can be referenced?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message