Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by OldGnome
daknife wrote:Yet if it's such an impossible task to accomplish using crowd sourcing, then how pray tell did the other stand-alone nav gadgets (Tom Tom, Garmin etc...) get their speed limit databases built without the power of crowdsourcing?
They may have gotten it here.

However, my understanding of the data used by Garmin is that it is "informational" and "used for calculating trip times."

That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the data. I have, in fact, found a few locations where we lived in WI where the data is quite inaccurate.

I, for one, am not going to trust speed limit data other than that which I can see out the windshield as I drive. I would rather Waze spend their time on the current functionality of the product and leave speed limits alone.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
ryryryry87 wrote:i am kind of curious the ages of people supporting this compared to those against this :roll:
Thanks for the :roll:

I was in my 30's when the Berlin Wall fell. You?

(I think we have both made our points here. I suspect others are tiring of it.)
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
fvwazing wrote:With fresh mapdata I would get irrelevant warnings some of the time...
My biggest complaint with Garmin was when they introduced the "you are driving faster than the posted speed" alert by turning the current speed font red. It was both difficult to read at night and impossible to disable.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
I don't think there is a good solution to this. Basically, I'm always aware of the posted limit on the road I'm on (unless if it's a city road wo/ a posted limit in a city I don't travel through often - Oak Ridge, I'm talking to you).

Basically, it's a nice feature that, I'm willing to bet, 90% of Wazers would disable. I would disable it.

Secondly, there is no way to really keep tabs on speed limit data. Sure, you can import it, but that probably has at least some errors, if not many. Why add even more errors to Waze :oops: ?

Or leave it to the AM's - but, I can't tell what a posted limit is from GPS tracks, average speed (if I had access), or aerials. Do you expect me (and other AM's) to drive on every inch of road in Southeastern TN (or AM area) just to see if there might be a speed limit sign on a certain stretch of road? (Forgive me if there is a better way to find speed limit data.)

There's no sensible, smart way to implement it. And as others have said, there's no real gain from it, except headache.
R4CLucky14
Send a message
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by RallyChris
Has been suggested before, and there is a uservoice post for it.

http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59225- ... ?ref=title

The problem is, where to get the data from, and who updates it. Everything currently in the map, can over time be determined by watching people drive. But speed limit is not (as some people speed <gasp>).
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
Then there is the added liability. We already have cases of people suing GPS companies for driving them down unimproved roads, or into a river. Even with the disclaimer that no one reads, there might be just a little to much added liability here, for what has been pointed out, little return.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by Scruffy151
WayzNut wrote:I can see the arguments about the accuracy of the posted speed limit and the changes needed in the backend to support this new piece of information. One thing I can see that waze could do easily is to change the color of the speedometer circle (just the outline of the circle) to a different color. Black (same as now) if you are within 10% of the AVERAGE speed of the segment at that day of week/time over the past week or month. Red outline if 10% above the AVERAGE, and yellow if 10% below the AVERAGE speed of the segment. No need for a sound, popup or anything. (although some may like/want it)
I think that a similar thing would be more in keeping with waze's strategy than worrying about the actual speed limit. The difference I would suggest is to color code the same as traffic reports. So if you are significantly slower the speedometer would turn red, a little slower it would turn yellow, near or exceeding the average would be black/no color.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Shaigan
If not in town, then according to the segment type and to the country, the speed limit is easy to find for "deafult" value. Is there is a special road with another limit, AM are there to change them.

If in town, the speed limit is easy to find as "default" value, according to the country. And if there are some streets with special limits, AM are there again.

No ?
Shaigan
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
[ Shaigan & Cie | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager (Lv5) | Waze Android sur Google Pixel 6 ]

Post by Shaigan
Arg.

For the first time, it should be easy in France ;)
Shaigan
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
[ Shaigan & Cie | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager (Lv5) | Waze Android sur Google Pixel 6 ]

Post by Spil
gettingthere wrote:
iahim wrote: If I understand correctly, for each road, Waze keeps a record of the the average hourly speed. They could use the maximum hourly average to estimate the speed limit. Based on that, like somebody suggested a few weeks ago in a post, change the color of the speedometer to let you know that you may be above the speed limit (green if you're at or bellow the speed limit, yellow for 10% above, etc.) That's less likely to create problems than displaying an incorrect speed limit on the screen.
We've been through this discussion before in another thread.

Waze's average speed has absolutely no direct relationship to a speed limit. Waze does not need to be presenting this data as speed limits.
While I agree that the "average speed" is nowhere near the true speed limit, I think that iahim's point may have been that the "average speed" data could be used as a temporary initial value in the database for the new "speed limit" field, until such a time as the AM's and other editors can get the true speed limit values entered for the segments in their areas.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png