Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Post by volmun
I'm living in Sweden and I think it must be doneable to get all speeds limit for free for the hole country.

Wouldm´t it bee possible to link this information to the road maps in cases like here? If not please tell why.

BR Floke
volmun

POSTER_ID:4925176

Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
gordonski wrote: Then I wonder, why waze collects speed information and calculates average speeds for roads, when they are not needed IN ANY WAY?
Average speeds are realistic. Speed limits are theoretical.

You can have two roads with the same speed limit. One is lightly traveled, smooth, and straight with limited to no merges. The average speed may be well above the posted limit.

The other may be in an urban area, with lots of volume, rough road surfaces, many on and off ramps with not much room to merge. The average speed may be well BELOW the posted limit.

The average speed is what is important for routing.

Maybe it is a regional thing, but most everywhere in the US the speed limits are set according to political whim and not set by road engineers. And I would say the vast majority of the population ignores the speed limit on all but the smallest of local roads.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
In the US where each state sets their own "defaults" and then the individual counties and cities may have their own on top of that.

And as a person who may take the speed limit as an, um, suggestion sometimes, if Waze made a noticeable effort to tell me I was over, I would quickly tire of it and want a way to disable it. I can see users actually stop using Waze over something like this.

We have a problem in the US where some speed limits are set artificially low and easily 80% of traffic travels at 10mph over the posted limit.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WayzNut
I can see the arguments about the accuracy of the posted speed limit and the changes needed in the backend to support this new piece of information. One thing I can see that waze could do easily is to change the color of the speedometer circle (just the outline of the circle) to a different color. Black (same as now) if you are within 10% of the AVERAGE speed of the segment at that day of week/time over the past week or month. Red outline if 10% above the AVERAGE, and yellow if 10% below the AVERAGE speed of the segment. No need for a sound, popup or anything. (although some may like/want it)

This would help people that are unfamiliar with the area to know what the average speed normally is. They would still be responsible to find out the actual speed LIMIT, but at least they will not be going way too slow and get rear ended.

This type of system would not require much of a backend change since waze already has the data and they are not trying to represent a limit, only an average.

Just my thoughts.
WayzNut
Send a message
Area Manager: Salt Lake/Utah Counties, Utah