Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby kenf3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon.

This would also address the road construction issue. And if you add an alert feature that compares the nearby speed limit signs to your current vehicle speed, include a setting to tweak when the alert pops up (0, +5mph, +10mph over limit).

Ken
kenf3

Postby harling » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 am

kenf3 wrote:Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon...

If you mean, treat speed limit signs like a variety of speed camera, I can see how that might work without diverting AMs and map editors. It wouldn't say anything between (reported) signs, but it wouldn't be a bad compromise. I couldn't tell you what kind of load it might put on the server database, though, as speed limit signs far outnumber speed cameras.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby R4CLucky14 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 am

I don't think there is a good solution to this. Basically, I'm always aware of the posted limit on the road I'm on (unless if it's a city road wo/ a posted limit in a city I don't travel through often - Oak Ridge, I'm talking to you).

Basically, it's a nice feature that, I'm willing to bet, 90% of Wazers would disable. I would disable it.

Secondly, there is no way to really keep tabs on speed limit data. Sure, you can import it, but that probably has at least some errors, if not many. Why add even more errors to Waze :oops: ?

Or leave it to the AM's - but, I can't tell what a posted limit is from GPS tracks, average speed (if I had access), or aerials. Do you expect me (and other AM's) to drive on every inch of road in Southeastern TN (or AM area) just to see if there might be a speed limit sign on a certain stretch of road? (Forgive me if there is a better way to find speed limit data.)

There's no sensible, smart way to implement it. And as others have said, there's no real gain from it, except headache.
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.
R4CLucky14

Re: Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby bgodette » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:59 am

R4CLucky14 wrote:There's no sensible, smart way to implement it. And as others have said, there's no real gain from it, except headache.

There really is no gain from adding this, and a long list of downsides, chief amongst them the liability exposure and additional work needed to maintain that data. Get your speed limit information from where your attention should be, the road.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:29 am

Amen
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby gordonski » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 am

bgodette wrote:There really is no gain from adding this, and a long list of downsides, chief amongst them the liability exposure and additional work needed to maintain that data. Get your speed limit information from where your attention should be, the road.

And get your information about dangers from there, too? Restricted turns? Watch the signs! Traffic jams? Keep a look ahead! ...seriously?

I could do my daily commute completely without the assistance of waze. But it's meant to maker things easier for you. I never drove myself in the US, so I'm not sure what it looks like over there. Here in Europe we have roads where speed limits vary a lot. Outside of cities Germany has a general speed limit of 100km/h (~60mph). But these streets could also be limited to any lower value. Furthermore streets with two lanes per direction or where lanes have constructional separations, the limit is 130km/h (~80mph). In cities the general limit is 50km/h (~30mph) except for multilane roads or seprated lanes where it can be up to 70km/h (~45mph). On highways there's no general limit. However there are many sections which are limited. We also have dynamic limits, which are set automatically or manually when traffic increases, or visibility decreases. Sometimes with individual limits for each lane. On 10 miles of highway the speed limit may vary from 60km/h (~40mph) (road construction) to "whatever your car can do". But few hours later the maximum limit could be only boring 120km/h (~75mph).
If waze offered a feature to inform you about the current speed limit, I'm convinced that over here many wazer would use this feature. I definitely would!

Everyone knows, that waze doesn't offer any official information. When you drive too fast because waze told you so and you get caught, it's still your own fault, just like it's your own fault when you take a disallowed turn or go the wrong way in a oneway street. Waze is an assistant, not an autopilot or a controller you must obey in any situation. I guess this is clear to all of us.

Gordonski
ImageNo stop signs, speed limitImageNobody's gonna slow me down!Image
Country Manager for Germany, Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 pm

gordonski wrote:
bgodette wrote:There really is no gain from adding this, and a long list of downsides, chief amongst them the liability exposure and additional work needed to maintain that data. Get your speed limit information from where your attention should be, the road.

And get your information about dangers from there, too? Restricted turns? Watch the signs! Traffic jams? Keep a look ahead! ...seriously?
Nice hyperbole, except there's a difference, those are things you cannot see "from a distance" that AFFECT ROUTING. Speed limits are not.

gordonski wrote:I could do my daily commute completely without the assistance of waze. But it's meant to maker things easier for you. I never drove myself in the US, so I'm not sure what it looks like over there. Here in Europe we have roads where speed limits vary a lot. Outside of cities Germany has a general speed limit of 100km/h (~60mph). But these streets could also be limited to any lower value. Furthermore streets with two lanes per direction or where lanes have constructional separations, the limit is 130km/h (~80mph). In cities the general limit is 50km/h (~30mph) except for multilane roads or seprated lanes where it can be up to 70km/h (~45mph). On highways there's no general limit. However there are many sections which are limited. We also have dynamic limits, which are set automatically or manually when traffic increases, or visibility decreases. Sometimes with individual limits for each lane. On 10 miles of highway the speed limit may vary from 60km/h (~40mph) (road construction) to "whatever your car can do". But few hours later the maximum limit could be only boring 120km/h (~75mph).
If waze offered a feature to inform you about the current speed limit, I'm convinced that over here many wazer would use this feature. I definitely would!
Thank you for listing seven reasons why this is a bad idea and effectively impossible to implement without giving wrong information, let alone actually keep the information current.

gordonski wrote:Everyone knows, that waze doesn't offer any official information. When you drive too fast because waze told you so and you get caught, it's still your own fault, just like it's your own fault when you take a disallowed turn or go the wrong way in a oneway street. Waze is an assistant, not an autopilot or a controller you must obey in any situation. I guess this is clear to all of us.
So why add something with the appearance of official information, that WILL BE WRONG? Bad information is useless to the driver, is just noise and will be ignored as demonstrated by EVERY navigation device/app that has added speed data.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gordonski » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

bgodette wrote:Nice hyperbole, except there's a difference, those are things you cannot see "from a distance" that AFFECT ROUTING. Speed limits are not.

Then I wonder, why waze collects speed information and calculates average speeds for roads, when they are not needed IN ANY WAY? (Hooray for caps :roll: )
Just because you don't want speed information it doesn't mean that they must be useless for anybody else on the planet.
As suggested before, it would be possible to implement a toggle in the settings menu to enable and disable speed information, for those who obviously don't give a Image .
If this is such a crappy, useless, disturbing feature, then why does every navigation software I have seen so far offer it? And why can't you just accept that some people actually do use this feature because they do think it's useful?

Nothing on waze has official appearance, we all know it's purely user driven. Why does that make any bit of information wrong in your eyes? Why on earth do use waze, when you consider all user-provided data to be wrong?

That's all i have to say about that,
Gordonski
ImageNo stop signs, speed limitImageNobody's gonna slow me down!Image
Country Manager for Germany, Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:03 pm

gordonski wrote:Then I wonder, why waze collects speed information and calculates average speeds for roads, when they are not needed IN ANY WAY?

Average speeds are realistic. Speed limits are theoretical.

You can have two roads with the same speed limit. One is lightly traveled, smooth, and straight with limited to no merges. The average speed may be well above the posted limit.

The other may be in an urban area, with lots of volume, rough road surfaces, many on and off ramps with not much room to merge. The average speed may be well BELOW the posted limit.

The average speed is what is important for routing.

Maybe it is a regional thing, but most everywhere in the US the speed limits are set according to political whim and not set by road engineers. And I would say the vast majority of the population ignores the speed limit on all but the smallest of local roads.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby kenf3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Just a quick clarification - my interest in allowing wazers to report speed limit signs was to help with highways where speed limits vary. A few years ago I got a ticket doing ~80 mph on a highway that is mostly 70 mph but occasionally drops down to 65 mph due to small towns. It was at night and I had just picked up a hamburger and must have missed the 65 mph sign. It would have been nice to glance down at Waze and see that 65 mph sign on my iPhone, or better yet, see that 65 mph sign blinking red because I exceeded my +10 mph limit I had set.

Speed Limit signs don't change often so once a Wazer posted its location, very little effort is required to maintain them. Obviously, Wazers should have the option to turn off the speed limits mapping layer like you can do with traffic, Wazer locations, etc.

Ken
kenf3

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General