Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby gettingthere » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Learned at the Palo Alto meet-up (side conversation with Ehud, Waze founder and CTO). Waze is considering adding speed limits in the future (at least in the United States). They consider it a safety feature.

Also, they are looking into whether they can implement with some existing data. Not clear if this import will be a one-time thing and then Wazers will be responsible to update or whether it will be a full external source with updates.

Also not clear on the time line of this feature.

There was a general - if the back end database needs to change for any new features, this will push these types of changes to > 6 months out. Waze is re-working the infrastructure to allow for a new tile updating system. This is expected to take some time...
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby gerben » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:29 am

Amen
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby fvwazing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm

OldGnome wrote:However, my understanding of the data used by Garmin is that it is "informational" and "used for calculating trip times."

That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the data. I have, in fact, found a few locations where we lived in WI where the data is quite inaccurate.

Every GPS I owned between 1998 and now offered this so-much-wanted speedalert. With fresh mapdata I would get irrelevant warnings some of the time; before the maps where 2 years old I would get false positives (and false negatives, but you don't hear those) all of the time. This type of data is very volatile and changing all of the time.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 am

ryryryry87 wrote:There are no known (to me, yet) issues to the map in my city, and I constantly look on the map for stuff to do. I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)

I wished I had your problems! :evil:
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 am

Believe me, you will switch that darn beep off in no time.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 pm

BIG NO! I disabled this on every gps I used so far - not because I speed all the time, but because the continuous false alarms this feature gave. Of every map, speed seems to be the first part that is outdated. Housenumbers is less work than this - housenumbers tend to stay over the years. Speeds tend not to.

Given that all the big map-providers have a lot of problems doing this right I am very sceptic that Waze can do this by means of importing, regulary, of updated speeds from a mystical, all-knowing source of speeds. Waze may get some data from some source and then rely on the crowd to set and keep it right.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 am

Well said. If you need to look at a screen to know what speed you should be doing because you were eating a burger or texting, and then bitch when you get a ticket, then for the love of God stay off the roads. I don't need my insurance premiums going up or a member of my family killed because Waze added another feature for people to mess about with their phones with because some nob wanted to check the speed limit instead of being aware and driving! /rant

using Tapatalk

Mod edit: removed profanity that may be inappropriate for some forum readers
floppyrod84

Postby DWDP » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 am

I understand speed limits data may be missing or wrong.
I also agree we don't' need drivers to be distracted looking at speed limits.

My solution is "better than nothing" just beep loud when my speed exceedes known speed limit by a selectable threshold.
I don't even need to see the limit on screen, if this is the problem.
Just want to have the opportunity to be warned loud if I am too much over the limit, so I can slow down ad avoid risking to loose my driving licence!
DWDP

Re: Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am

daknife wrote:Either that or they'll report or correct the data themselves, and the speed limit data will soon be far more accurate than on any other service out there. Just as letting people drive on incomplete maps is a complete waste of time, and naming streets or numbering houses is a complete waste of time. Your logic simply does not follow in regards to a user edited platform.

And as to the $$$$ reply, yes they paid for the speed limit data from some source. Waze can get that same data for free within a very short period of time.

The logic absolutely follows. The maps do not need to be 100% to be useful, speed limits do. The map will gradually learn of its own accord if left long enough, speed limits will not. Maps are crucial to the functioning of the map, speed limits are not. Look out your windscreen to see speed limits, if there are not enough signs then contact your local council!

Waze will undoubtedly bend to pressure on this and implement something, it'll be horribly labour intensive, data will be patchy at best and most folk will either switch it off or end up complaining on here about how bad it is.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 pm

luftms wrote:I agree!

With what?
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General