Post by robin1979
If you really want to go for maximum accuracy, an external GPS receiver is a must. Even a simple one like TomToms kit for the iPhone is a dramatic improvement.

GPS chips in phones are halfway decent, iPhone 4 & 4S are probably as good as it gets. 3GS is okay, not really great.
As far as Android phones go, my experience is pretty bad. Stay away from the Galaxy S, GPS is really bad there.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by Shaigan
At the moment, the best is Galaxy Note : it have two GPS systems : NAVSTAR (US system) and GLONASS (Russian system), both running at the same time for 5 meters accuracy
Shaigan
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
[ Shaigan & Cie | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager (Lv5) | Waze Android sur Google Pixel 6 ]

Post by Shaigan
jmp316 wrote:I don't think you can edit from an iPhone. Papyrus (I believe) requires Flash, which can't be run on iOS. Sorry.
He want to construct the whole city with the "construct mode ON"...
Shaigan
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Shaigan
robin1979 wrote:If you really want to go for maximum accuracy, an external GPS receiver is a must. Even a simple one like TomToms kit for the iPhone is a dramatic improvement.

GPS chips in phones are halfway decent, iPhone 4 & 4S are probably as good as it gets. 3GS is okay, not really great.
As far as Android phones go, my experience is pretty bad. Stay away from the Galaxy S, GPS is really bad there.
+1
Shaigan
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by the1who
There was a phone I used to own, that I didn't like because the GPS was not always tracking properly, it did the job, but when you interfered at all with the signals, say change visibility at all to the sky, it wouldn't receive, it was a Galaxy S Vibrant, and from what we found out through other forums, it wasn't just the Vibrant, but about every Galaxy S variant. They came out with an update eventually that helped, but it pails in comparison to the phone i use now as far as sensitivity and acquisition, and I'll have to also say with accuracy. I run the Nexus S 4G and I was skeptical at first that it would be any different than my experience with the Vibrant, but it was night and day. This GPS in this phone is so much better. I get in places like inside stores and malls that never occurred with the Vibrant, I get in my house, even in the lower level that never happened with the Vibrant. I mean, I could get it upstairs by a south facing wall, but these are just examples.

I would test them out in displays at stores if you are really ambitious about the quality. If it can get a 10m lock or better inside the store, such as my phone is capable, then it will be far more accurate when in the clear and open view to the sky outside, in your car dock. Just my opinion, but I also deal a lot with GPS on a daily basis in my line of work with aviation and I have a different standard for these type of things. One thing I did recently with my phone is I took it out to a park with hiking trails and opened up Google Maps to get satellite imagery of where we were while on the trails, it was pretty impressive in my opinion to be able to do something like that. Granted, it didn't have a location near me to lock my location to say like navigating, but it was a fun experiment nonetheless.

There is one other thing too, and not sure about Apple products doing this or not, as there is always this Android can do this, Apple can do this talk.... but here is one thing I like to do with my phone, that I am not sure you could do with an iPhone, so correct me if I am wrong.

I like to run Waze when I am going somewhere almost every time, but if there is a descrepancy with a location in Waze or the inability to route over 1k miles currently, I'll run Google Navigation at the same time and they both run simultaneously and I can still listen to Slacker cached content for those moments of spotty cellular coverage on the roads. That is one benefit that I have always heard of for Android in the plus column, but that may be old ways of thinking as I don't know the current capabilities of Apple phones and I am not here to debate that, but to share my experience. Hope you find what fits you best. And even though you might get accurate paves in, you'll still need to edit them before they go live, and in most cases, you'll realize they need to be edited geometry wise anyways.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by Timbones
You may already know this, but if you switch on the GPS layer in the editor, you can see all of recent drives by yourself and other drivers. Using this information can help you position the new roads while ignoring the obvious GPS errors.

You can also ask for updated aerials in your area, which will help with the editing.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by WeeeZer14
snappjay wrote:So far, she has gotten rumble strips put in, a flashing stop sign, and a couple speed bumps, all around this stupid stop sign.
Can you post a picture of this? Or would that result in her calling homeland security on you? :lol:
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator