Palo Alto evening topic: offsite backup (Crash Plan)

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Palo Alto evening topic: offsite backup (Crash Plan)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 pm

In the evening at the hotel, I asked if anyone is doing offsite backups of data. I think I got a 'no' from nearly everyone. The software I mentioned at the time which I use is Crash Plan.

It's features:
  • Encrypted; strong encryption available too (free)
  • Peer-to-peer backup is free forever: backup to your friends' house across town or the state
  • Windows/Mac/Linux can all backup to each other
  • Backup size is limited only by storage available
  • Multiple retention periods are customizable (hourly/daily/weekly/monthly/yearly)
  • Pruning happens automatically
  • Block-level deduplication and compression
  • Backup any folders/files on any drives on your system (can specify files within a folder or a whole folder, so newly added files automatically back up)
The way my friends and I use it is that 1) I have some extra storage available, 2) one of them gave me a HD to use. To start two especially large-size backups, the software lets you create a "seed" backup. We backed up to an external drive in their house first, then, took the drive to my house, copied the data off to my server, and told the software whose backup data this was. Done. This way, we didn't have to wait weeks for nearly 1TB of data to copy over the internet.

If you are backing up in your house, good job. But if your house burns down or otherwise destroyed, chances are your main computer and backup are gone. Back up to a geographically separated location and your chances of being able to recover important or one-of-a-kind files increases dramatically. For around $100, you can get a 3TB USB 3 external HD. For most people, that drive size will last a really long time.

If you want to use the CrashPlan central service, you can restore files anywhere you have a browser and to any computer. That makes it a bit like Dropbox, but it for any files you have in your backup set.

If anyone would like to try out, or heck, just use my server for their backups from now on, PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite. I've only got about 4TB of space left...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Palo Alto evening topic: offsite backup (Crash Plan)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:07 am

jasonh300 wrote:Am I correct in reading that the Free version will allow me to back up a computer at one location to another of my computers at another location with no limitations? Or does the free version just work locally?

Yep.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Borgholio » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 am

I am using Crashplan myself. I pay $5 per month for unlimited off-site storage. I'm a cheap-ass so I didn't pay for the seed service, instead I am uploading 2TB of data via my home internet connection. I'm having to throttle the Crashplan upload speed so as to not go over my monthly 150gb data cap. :) That said, the program works nicely.

It can check for file changes daily, real-time, or anywhere in-between. It saves bandwidth by only uploading the parts of the files that have actually changed, as opposed to the whole file. This is called Delta Block, I believe. It also supports compression and 448-bit encryption. If you choose not to pay the monthly fee, you can still backup to an external hard drive or to a friend's computer which is also running Crashplan. You only need to pay if you want to use the off-site backup. If you choose multiple backup locations, it will backup to the fastest location first before backing up to the slower locations (external drive vs internet connection, for example).
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby harling » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 am

I had forgotten about that. My ears perked up when you mentioned it; our startup has considered offering a backup service, since our wireless network can transport data about as fast as a hard drive can write it, but most of them aren't interested in installing Linux and running 'rdist'. (go figure) Thanks for reminding me about it!
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 am

Am I correct in reading that the Free version will allow me to back up a computer at one location to another of my computers at another location with no limitations? Or does the free version just work locally?

I've been getting lazy about backups at work, and my computers there are aging. If I could do a backup to my home computer, at least I'd have an off-site backup.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:48 am

Installing this now...
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Website, Community, General