Pinging for Dummies

Post by Meechity
I hope this isn't the silliest question you'll see this weekend. Twice I've been ballsy enough to ping a passing ping-enabled Wazer to say Good Morning: I click on their icons, their names and score pop up, and I push the PING button. After typing my message, I send the ping... But it just has appeared as a green Chitchat icon on the map for anyone to read.

What am I doing wrong? I've seen other chitchats that were obviously meant as pings, like HI DAVE! So it's not just my age-addled noggin.

Thanks all :)
Meechity

POSTER_ID:5212302

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The first time you go to Ping someone, a popup appears reminding you that pings are visible to everyone, so be nice! (or something to that effect).
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bayarearoadninja
It'd be nice to see your pings communications.
Had a couple of pings but for some reason REPLY doesn't work so had to close the ping and can't carry on the conversation especially since you can't search by user either.
bayarearoadninja
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Pings are just directed chit chats. They are always available for anyone to see. The difference is a ping will pop up on the recipient's screen!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by gettingthere
I suspect the original intention was to ping Wazers ahead of you regarding things such as accidents and severe traffic. Like if you see an accident report and ping a Wazer that just passed by the accident to inquire if it's causing a large traffic jam. I suspect that was also the intent of the Wazers speed. If you see them at 40mph+, best not to ping. As we know that data is delayed so you don't really know how fast they are traveling now...

Really not of any use just to say hi and distract someone when they are trying to drive safely.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by keepitmovin
yeah i don't think they should be public, since your intention is to talk to that one person ahead of you behind you etc. (If there is something inappropriate you should be able to report them). Otherwise why flood the map with a bunch of back and forth.
keepitmovin
Send a message

Post by Meechity
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh... I see. :) It's not that I would ever want to say anything rude or embarrassing, but I didn't think that leaving a public chat bubble was a desired effect of pinging. I assume it is to discourage harrassment, but I couldn't find any real description of its purpose on any of the online documentation.
Meechity
Send a message

Post by Meechity
gettingthere wrote:I suspect the original intention was to ping Wazers ahead of you regarding things such as accidents and severe traffic. Like if you see an accident report and ping a Wazer that just passed by the accident to inquire if it's causing a large traffic jam. I suspect that was also the intent of the Wazers speed. If you see them at 40mph+, best not to ping. As we know that data is delayed so you don't really know how fast they are traveling now...

Really not if any use just to say hi and distract someone when they are trying to drive safely.

Actually I'm enlightened and will think thrice before pinging now, thank you. :)
Meechity
Send a message