Number of local Wazers at rush hour

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Number of local Wazers at rush hour

Postby MReiser4670 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Jpere wrote:I wish we had nearly as many here in Miami. On a good day well be in the 700s. It'd be amazing to have 2000+. I wonder if I'll ever see the day.

Six months ago, Philadelphia was showing 700 on a good day. It's a combination of natural growth, the Apple maps issue, and the top-rated local ABC affliliate using it for traffic reporting. When I'm driving around now, probably 20%+ of the users having a group shield is showing their logo.

It also helps to have a good core of dedicated, knowledgeable local editors. If new users are presented with a quality map, they're more likely to stick around.
Level 4 editor - working Philadelphia metro (southeast PA, southern New Jersey & Delaware)
HTC EVO 4G LTE (Android 4.1.1) & Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Android 4.1.2) w/ Waze v3.7.2
MReiser4670

Postby MReiser4670 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:30 pm

CBenson wrote:The last couple of days I've received some anomalously high numbers on the order of 17000 in the Baltimore, Washington area.

Over this past week I've been seeing 4000-5000 in Philadelphia and 9000-10,000 when I cross the bridge into New Jersey. Not sure why they're separate, but I suppose there's a reason. Either way, these numbers are basically double what they were less than a month ago, and 4x what we were seeing 9 months back.
Level 4 editor - working Philadelphia metro (southeast PA, southern New Jersey & Delaware)
HTC EVO 4G LTE (Android 4.1.1) & Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Android 4.1.2) w/ Waze v3.7.2
MReiser4670

Postby MReiser4670 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:
MReiser4670 wrote:Over this past week I've been seeing 4000-5000 in Philadelphia and 9000-10,000 when I cross the bridge into New Jersey. Not sure why they're separate, but I suppose there's a reason. Either way, these numbers are basically double what they were less than a month ago, and 4x what we were seeing 9 months back.

NJ is split amongst a few US Census Bureau Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) and that is what the Waze areas are based off of. (Or was it is the Combined Statistical Areas, CSAs? Same impact either way.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

This is actually why I questioned it...I guess it's splitting hairs, but it's the "Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area" which includes 5 counties in New Jersey. I just find it odd that the "Philadelphia" & "Wilmington" areas are combined on Waze while the "Camden" area is separate AND gives numbers 2-3x that across the river. The 5 counties that make up the NJ portion of the MSA don't even equal the population of Philadelphia County. Is it possible that all of NJ is combined together? I get similar numbers when I cross into Mercer County in both the Trenton & Princeton areas.

It really doesn't matter, other than it makes the sixth largest MSA look like it has terrible Waze penetration when I don't think that's the case at all.
MReiser4670

Postby MReiser4670 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 pm

CBenson wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:
MReiser4670 wrote:Over this past week I've been seeing 4000-5000 in Philadelphia and 9000-10,000 when I cross the bridge into New Jersey. Not sure why they're separate, but I suppose there's a reason. Either way, these numbers are basically double what they were less than a month ago, and 4x what we were seeing 9 months back.

NJ is split amongst a few US Census Bureau Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) and that is what the Waze areas are based off of. (Or was it is the Combined Statistical Areas, CSAs? Same impact either way.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

But you shouldn't be leaving the Philadelphia–Camden–Wilmington MSA (or the Philadelphia-Reading-Camden CSA) unless you're crossing the bridge at Trenton. I suspect they're using the CSAs as 1) the numbers would be bigger (look better for marketing) and 2) I commute from the Baltimore-Columbia-Towson MSA to the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria MSA (while staying in the Washington-Baltimore-Arlington CSA) without typically seeing any changes in the numbers.

Exactly...and I notice the higher numbers are similar regardless of whether I'm crossing into NJ around Trenton or if I'm farther south in the Burlington/Camden/ Gloucester County areas. I'm currently sitting less than 1000 feet from the Delaware River, so I cross the river in both areas at least weekly.
MReiser4670

Postby mrgrumpy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 pm

In the UK we don't automatically get these stats but scrolling around this morning I managed to count 4 Wazers, 0 reports and 0 jams in the whole of South Wales!

:mrgreen:
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby osbumlets » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 pm

189 in Charlotte NC at 5:49PM. Our map is very mature.

I tried to check closer to 5:00, but of course it couldn't connect to the server...
osbumlets

Postby palmerit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:37 pm

In my hometown, I usually never see more than 5-10. The city north of me where I work, I see ~35ish
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998
palmerit
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Re: Number of local Wazers at rush hour

Postby palmerit » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 pm

palmerit wrote:In my hometown, I usually never see more than 5-10. The city north of me where I work, I see ~35ish

Waze usage is growing locally. Just now, 33 in my home city. Up from 5-10 when I first posted. In the city north of me, I saw 92 on Friday. Up from 35ish on avg.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998
palmerit
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby pcoventry » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 am

As waze grows I'm sure you will!
pcoventry

Postby petervdveen » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

Is it possible to remove this maximum and see all of them?
Coördinator BeNeLux
- Nederland Belgium Lëtzebuerg
ImageImageImageImage

peter@wazenederland.nl peter@wazebelgium.be
petervdveen
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General