Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Limit on reports?

Post by msrottn
:| First, I am enjoying my Waze experience! I am finding that if I attempt to report several different situations within a couple of minutes that Waze is limiting me. When I report 3 or 4 different hazards (object in road, two tractor trailers broke down on outside shoulder, a car with a flat tire on inside shoulder) a few miles apart and then report a police siting and then try to reply or ping someone, I get a message tellling me I sent in too many reports in a short period. When driving on the interstates every day, I am sure most of us see more than 3 or 4 items worth reporting to others that are important to safe driving, why are we limited? :?: Thank You
msrottn

POSTER_ID:4045565

Send a message
Last edited by AndyPoms on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary large font (aka "shouting") - content unchanged.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dneutrino wrote:I think Waze should block this users (who use reports for more points).
I think if you could come up with a good algorithm for the computer system to automatically figure out who is abusing the report feature instead of reporting valid hazards, Waze might be interested. IMO, this is quite complex. :mrgreen:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Points are already reduced the more you report within the (time / distance) limit.

Think of this as an option also, if those tractor trailers are very close to each other, why not report them as one hazard? If one leaves, the other one would still be there - and the report is still valid.

When reports are on top of each other, it becomes difficult to report some of them as "Not there" because the close timer doesn't start at the zero distance, the next report pops up.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
RPIII wrote:I have to agree with "Haretz". I'm not interested in the points, but am interested in helping others avoid loosing a tire, or two to our fine PA pothole ridden roads. It has been a very hard winter this year, and on my commute to and from work (38 miles one way) I encounter over 50 tire eating potholes. There are stretches where there are 15 in 100 yards, but on average there is one or two every half mile. All too often I get the 'exceeded the report limit' after I post another pothole. Right now it is easier to post the small amount of road that is pothole free!! I'd gladly give up the points to be able to post the additional hazards. I know I'm as grateful as all get out when I receive a pot hole warning.
Keep up the great work.
In accordance with the Forum Rules do not reopen threads that have been dormant for more than six months.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by dneutrino
I think Waze should block this users (who use reports for more points). Because limited reports kills all idea of actual road situation.
dneutrino
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
We are limited because some people used the reporting to amass points. It is better to have only 5 out of 6 possible reports instead of 50 of which 45 are not real. Besides, you must leave something to report for your fellow wazers!
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by haretz
I am sorry, but I have to say that I do not see the logic in that: why not simply award points only for the first few (whatever) reports, and then cut the point awards for a while, BUT STILL allow people`s reports to go through??? Most of us are trying to improve the overall traffic experience for everybody, and this would allow us to maximize that, while cutting on the unethical users who just keep pressing buttons to get points.

I know I get rather angry and disappointed when I see perfectly useful traffic info being disregarded by waze for such a petty reason...I couldn`t care less about the points, and I am sure you would find out that a lot of people feel the same.

I always keep thinking about what other bits of traffic-saving info were disregarded and would be helping me instead!!
haretz
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dneutrino wrote:I think Waze should block this users (who use reports for more points).
I think if you could come up with a good algorithm for the computer system to automatically figure out who is abusing the report feature instead of reporting valid hazards, Waze might be interested. IMO, this is quite complex. :mrgreen:
I think an ideal system would be to allow limited reports for new wazers until they've reached certain "milestones" such as driving XX number of miles or has XX number of "Thanks" for reports they have made in the past. This way it would prevent new users looking to "just get points" and yet allows for us to determine who is efficiently reporting. Waze Champs would have unlimited reporting capability and should be noted on reports as a Waze Champ to know the report is more reliable. As a map editor I see people reporting all sorts of map errors for stupid things like mile makers every mile, this is a waste of map editors time. The sad part is, map editors have no way of contacting those who submit non-sense reports to please stop & refer to proper reporting guidelines nor is there a way of easily reporting users who submit a lot fake reports. :-(
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by mrmyst3rious
I think that I've been fairly lucky in that I haven't seen a lot of bogus reports. I don't care so much if I get a couple false hazard reports, but if there were a lot of bogus police reports it would stink.
davipt wrote: For example, were those tractor trailers or the flat tire on the shoulder any imminent danger to the people driving on that road? For example, if the shoulder is not large enough and they were partially on the road and people need to slow down and detour them, then yes they should be reported, but if they were completely outside of the lane they shouldn't even be reported.

Recall that the report is called "wazzard", not "everything that is happening around me".
In all reality , something like a broken down car is not a hazard if I'm on the road by myself, but there is a hazard of other drivers getting over due the hazard that is ahead. That creates the real issue and why I'm glad that people are reporting things like broken down cars or semi's.
mrmyst3rious
Send a message

Post by RPIII
I have to agree with "Haretz". I'm not interested in the points, but am interested in helping others avoid loosing a tire, or two to our fine PA pothole ridden roads. It has been a very hard winter this year, and on my commute to and from work (38 miles one way) I encounter over 50 tire eating potholes. There are stretches where there are 15 in 100 yards, but on average there is one or two every half mile. All too often I get the 'exceeded the report limit' after I post another pothole. Right now it is easier to post the small amount of road that is pothole free!! I'd gladly give up the points to be able to post the additional hazards. I know I'm as grateful as all get out when I receive a pot hole warning.
Keep up the great work.
RPIII
Send a message