Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jasonh300
The most recent version of the Waze client will cache your entire route if you start navigation while connected to WiFi.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
rand0m9 wrote:Good to know... Hope they give me the option to cache off cell signal. I rarely enter my route before I am in my car.... Happens the most when I am sitting at the end of the block and way out of wifi range.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
It has been pointed out to the developers that you're going to have to download the route regardless of whether it's done in advance or not, so it shouldn't make any difference in the cellular data usage. We're waiting to hear back from them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by JwK_
Hi, Summer is coming up and with that a lot of roadtrips. For Europe, which normally have no problem with data caps, this becomes an issue. I will be doing 6000km from Sweden to Spain in a few months, caching maps (while still reporting data to waze for crowd sourcing) would be extremely useful , and would reduce the roaming charges considerably.
I see no disadvantage for waze implementing this. As it stands now, most people will buy an offline app instead for these occasions.
Please make this possible for us!

On a side note; does anyone have reliable statistics on waze data usage, when no maps are locally cached, and perhaps also for different road reports enabled/disabled.
JwK_
Send a message

Post by KCMike
I wouldn't mind seeing this feature but instead of the entire US, however about the option for either cities, states or regions? I like in Kansas City & 95% of my driving is done 45 minutes from my house & back.
KCMike
Send a message

Post by maantje76
iseeu1001 wrote:Can you please make it so maps are pre loaded and not using data because I only have a 200 MB cap on my service :( I would get unlimited if it was around but sadly most companys run out of unlimited and AT&t doesn't seem to have it. Please I really like waze it's a good gps but the data consumption please do something bout it thanks...
The idea behind waze is routing based on realtime traffic situation. Without à dataconnection you don't have the profit of that. Also you don't automaticaly provide information for the other Wazers in your area.
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
And you have lots of zoomlevels, so it's not simple scrolling...

Every week the maptiles getting automaticaly refreshed. The tiles your route is crossing are also refreshed during driving, so you have to switch of your internet connection to prevent that!
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
Planning à known route without dataconnection can also work if the tiles are in cache. Because of datacompression is not working for me (why? I don't know), I sometimes deside to switch of dataconnection if I cross a border. You can calculate the route if you did it before...

Only plan à route without precache the tiles won't work (for me). They load during your trip. Maybe the highest zoomlevel?...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by queenbenjii
iseeu1001 wrote:
RallyChris wrote:Unfortunately that is one of the pieces of data Waze is trying to use as monetization. So trust me, that people have been asking for this for a long time. It has not happened yet, so don't expect it in the near future.

So unfortunately, data plan is required for the time being.
Ah since data plan is required I might as well try the navigation for AT&T since they have off line or on line navigation for just $9 a month. Oh an you do know that some people just use the report feature to get points right... you should track those people and ban there accounts or something on dis accurate reporting because I was on vacation from maryland to illinois and I saw a lot of wrong reporting on waze using my brothers in laws android phone on sprint so I made sure it was right I looked on my iphone to and it was the same place same report, But no road work or police when reported even passed 100 miles and yet no cops yet or road work where it was reported.
Waze does deduct points when people report that there is a problem and nothing is there.
queenbenjii
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Unfortunately that is one of the pieces of data Waze is trying to use as monetization. So trust me, that people have been asking for this for a long time. It has not happened yet, so don't expect it in the near future.

So unfortunately, data plan is required for the time being.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
It use to at least cache the whole route when navigating. That was backed off some at some point (they didn't announce it, was just kinda noticed at some point). The best we have gotten is that this was for performance reasons.

My educated guess is to lessen the load on the servers when trying to download all the map tiles.

Once waze has gotten through the infrastructure changes noted in the status.waze.com posts, hopefully they can bring back the ability to cache the whole trip at all zoom levels.

I would love to suggest to waze that they also cache the list of tiles requested, and if it can't be retrieved at the time it was requested, try again later when it can. That way at least on the second trip through an area that can't be routed through (or is off the beaten path) it will already have them loaded.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png