Inconsistent verbal warnings (esp. police & cams)

Post by MattHirsch
I recently received a $150 ticket in the mail. I remember the flash of the camera. I immediately looked down and Waze had the icon for a speed camera, but no verbal warning was given. Later I received a verbal warning for the next speed camera, on the same highway. I've also experienced inconsistent verbal warnings for "Police reported ahead". I realize I need to watch my speed, and I am a careful driver. But, if Waze warns me once, then I need that to happen consistently. What's going on here?
MattHirsch

POSTER_ID:4662316

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Police trap warnings are only going to appear if they were posted for the direction you are driving. There is no option for "both lanes" yet. Also, in the US/Canada, it does not work if you are traveling on a split roadway and you try to post a hazard/police for the other lane. Waze attaches it to the current road you are on but going the other direction, which is impossible to drive on, so no one will ever get that alert.

Red light cams and speed cams also much be set up correctly in Waze (pointing the right direction and attached to a street) in order to properly alert. You may check in the map editor to see if they are properly placed and direction is correct: Travel direction is from the camera to the red dot.

I know that the world server has issues with proper alerts with speed cams, so if you are outside the US/Canada, there are known issues with verbal alerts.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
LouisTrapani wrote:At the same intersection, if I am coming from another direction, I always get the warning (i.e. traveling east or west) but it is very inconsistent when I am northbound on the intersection.
Red light cameras, if they are actually set up in the editor correctly, will always give a warning when you enter the radius of about 500ft. In practice the warning comes about 450ft. in the US. If you aren't getting a verbal/popup, then something is not set up correctly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Daknife
Share a permalink and let a CM (from a state with such cameras) take a look at it.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by LouisTrapani
I've noticed the same concerning a local red light camera. The verbal warnings are inconsistent. Sometimes I get the warning, many times I do not. Thankfully, I know it's there (in fact, I may had marked it originally in Waze as a red camera stop, I don't recall now).

At the same intersection, if I am coming from another direction, I always get the warning (i.e. traveling east or west) but it is very inconsistent when I am northbound on the intersection.
LouisTrapani
Send a message

Post by LouisTrapani
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
LouisTrapani wrote:At the same intersection, if I am coming from another direction, I always get the warning (i.e. traveling east or west) but it is very inconsistent when I am northbound on the intersection.
Red light cameras, if they are actually set up in the editor correctly, will always give a warning when you enter the radius of about 500ft. In practice the warning comes about 450ft. in the US. If you aren't getting a verbal/popup, then something is not set up correctly.
I checked it on the map and it seems to be in order as far as I can tell… So I am puzzled why it used to give the warning, and now it doesn't. It's not a big problem for me as the light is within walking distance from my home. I know it well. I know it's there. For others that don't know about it won't get the warning though and thus will be unaware of it. As said though, it used give the warning and now doesn't.
LouisTrapani
Send a message

Post by samsonib6
I receive no verbal warnings for police, traffice or anything. Does this version 3.5 not give verbal warnings or do I not have something setup correctly?
samsonib6
Send a message