Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby davipt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 am

bgodette wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

Frankly I think you should catch up with the rest of the world and have no difference between cash and credit!
So you don't think retailers should offer their product to customers willing to pay cash at the true price the retailer gets after the credit card companies take their 10-15% from the sale?

The difference is that on the rest of the world the credit card tax is a burden on the seller's side, not pushed up into the client like in the US. Not defending any side, just getting the facts straight. Here in Portugal because it would be inconceivable to have different prices for cash, debit or credit cards, some stores are trying to avoid accepting cards, either officially and publicly (major supermarkets rejecting any payment less than €20) or discretely (restaurants pretending the "system doesn't work").

So in this US vs. world case, I see the point of view from the US sellers, but the rest of the world decided that if the pandora box is opened, the chaos will happen - exactly what you're getting with the fuel prices.

From the Waze side, I agree with the US champs - a price is a price, if the cash is the price and credit is a overtax, then credit is irrelevant for waze. Here we have the opposite - it's quite normal to get cheaper prices by using cross-brand vouchers (buy fuel, get discount on the supermarket, buy on the supermarket, get discount on the fuel), but those discounted prices that, in practice, everybody with some smarts can get, are not relevant for Waze. Sticker price is what matters.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 pm

10-15%? Not a chance.
Cash vs credit prices and adding sales tax at the till rather than on the ticket? Pain in the ass! I'd rather just know what I see is what I'm paying!
dmcconachie

Postby bgodette » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

Frankly I think you should catch up with the rest of the world and have no difference between cash and credit!
So you don't think retailers should offer their product to customers willing to pay cash at the true price the retailer gets after the credit card companies take their 10-15% from the sale?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

dmcconachie

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Unholy wrote:Hi guys and gals,

We will add a note the "update gas price menu" that it should be cash only.
I'm not sure we'll be able to add it to our next release, but it will be added to one of the next releases.

Thanks,

Ori

So was this ever done? I can't remember seeing it.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nick9307 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 am

I think cash is the way to go
nick9307

Postby CBenson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 am

Waze was feeding the same 3rd party data back when they told us to use cash prices. I don't think waze thinks the third party data is credit data.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby failsafe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:03 am

Since Waze also feeds in prices via a 3rd Party now, and they report credit prices, this discussion is moot. I report credit; everyone should.
failsafe

Postby glosapp » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is a big problem where I am at (NJ). All too often I see inconsistencies when checking fuel prices. Some people are entering in credit and some are entering in cash.

Whatever Waze wants us to enter in, it should be in the Waze app that indicates what we should be entering, because after reading through this entire thread, I'm still uncertain what we should be entering.

I can tell you that around me, many are using credit cards, not cash, because not many are lugging around that kind of cash and NJ residents cannot pump their own gas. Another reason is due to the fact that people get annoyed when gas station attendants top off their tanks with the high cost of gas. This ultimately is what happens when you pay cash because the attendants want to round it up to .00 cents so they don't have to run inside and get change.

I honestly think that we should be entering in credit prices and there should be a checkbox at the bottom of the screen that says "Discount available for cash". With it checked, the cash prices become greyed out, but with it unchecked, the prices mimic the credit fields unless the user enters in a different amount in the cash field (which they should be able to do).

But again, I reiterate - whatever you decide, you need to make it in bold highlighted letters on the app that the user should be entering in cash (or credit) so there are no more inconsistencies.
glosapp

Postby ratmice » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:06 pm

mapcat wrote:IMO it's pointless to attempt to keep track of every possible price for every product at the station. Since cash price seems to be the popular choice, how about a checkbox that points out that the credit price is higher? How much higher shouldn't be that important; it would just warn people that there are different prices.

How we would get "3rd party" to obey any of these guidelines is beyond me.

If there's an easy way to do it why not? It would be automatically calculated by the app and the user verified offset. All we need is the 3rd party to populate one set of prices, the other can be calculated.
ratmice

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General