Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Moderator: Unholy

Postby Darthreflon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Here's a solution that should would work. When you fill up, there will be a screen that allows you to input what type you used, how much you paid and if you used cash or credit. Then when your searching for the cheapest price, you specify if you want cash or credit and what fuel type and it will display only those prices. There should be enough people to keep all the prices up to date using this method.

While I'm at it, why not allow us to input our miles and gallons too so we can keep track of our fuel mileage. I personally use separate apps for that but it would be nice if I could just input all this into one app. What you guys think?
Darthreflon

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 am

My only argument for cash prices is that the cash price is what you see on the signs, the billboards, and even the pump until you initiate a credit card transaction.

And that's how GasBuddy does it.
jasonh300

Postby gettingthere » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:04 pm

And thanks for mostly ignoring me :(. I didn't come up with the idea to report cash prices. It's already the standard with other applications that do the same.

So why so many rebels until Waze confirms what we already know?
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 am

I know that Waze is not Gas Buddy (a well established player with gas price tracking) but here is how they address this in their FAQ:

"Q: Do I post the cash price, or the credit price?

A: Differences in Cash/credit prices are common in some areas as a result of stations needing to offset the additional costs of these transactions.

GasBuddy's goal is to help everyone make wise fueling decisions.

When reporting prices for stations in areas that have different prices based on method of payment, we ask that you post the cash price where it exists. If the station does not offer a cash price, the standard price should be reported.

The Comments field may be used to include a note about cash/credit prices, but this is not required."
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:01 am

You can enter whatever you want. Real prices, fake prices, cash prices, credit prices, rebate prices, prices for soda, car wash, whatever.

Just remember that the prices will be utterly useless for comparison unless everyone it entering the same thing.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Although it's unknown if there is some type of regular data feed to and from this 'partner' or whether we are on our own now as far as maintaining this data.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Bigbear3764 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Drunk gas=with ethanol. Took me a few before light bulb went on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby maantje76 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 am

For ROTW we provided all sorts of fuel per country. We also indicated to add an option for chargepoints for electrical cars...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 am

There should be a way to indicate that a station sells real gas.

Don't get me started on E10. 10% ethanol and your mileage suffers by 15%. Pure gasoline costs about 2% more. The numbers don't make sense.

To save our precious natural resources, I'm doing my part by putting a couple of bricks in the bottom of my tank to displace a couple of gallons. Then I fill up with pure gas. Saves money and the environment!

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300

Postby BustaUppa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Sadly, almost every gas station around me has different prices for cash and credit. What is the protocol for reporting prices via Waze's new feature? Should the cash price or credit price be reported?

For me, credit prices would be far more relevant. I hardly ever carry cash on me in the first place. In the past I have been disappointed in services like GasBuddy-- I would track down a station with a seemingly good price, only to find that the reported price was cash-only and thus did not apply to me. So I feel like I'd be doing people a favor by reporting the higher credit price. But I wanted to check here to see what is considered the "right" way.
BustaUppa

Next

Return to Website, Community, General