Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby davipt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 am

bgodette wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

Frankly I think you should catch up with the rest of the world and have no difference between cash and credit!
So you don't think retailers should offer their product to customers willing to pay cash at the true price the retailer gets after the credit card companies take their 10-15% from the sale?

The difference is that on the rest of the world the credit card tax is a burden on the seller's side, not pushed up into the client like in the US. Not defending any side, just getting the facts straight. Here in Portugal because it would be inconceivable to have different prices for cash, debit or credit cards, some stores are trying to avoid accepting cards, either officially and publicly (major supermarkets rejecting any payment less than €20) or discretely (restaurants pretending the "system doesn't work").

So in this US vs. world case, I see the point of view from the US sellers, but the rest of the world decided that if the pandora box is opened, the chaos will happen - exactly what you're getting with the fuel prices.

From the Waze side, I agree with the US champs - a price is a price, if the cash is the price and credit is a overtax, then credit is irrelevant for waze. Here we have the opposite - it's quite normal to get cheaper prices by using cross-brand vouchers (buy fuel, get discount on the supermarket, buy on the supermarket, get discount on the fuel), but those discounted prices that, in practice, everybody with some smarts can get, are not relevant for Waze. Sticker price is what matters.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 am

davipt wrote:
bgodette wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

Frankly I think you should catch up with the rest of the world and have no difference between cash and credit!
So you don't think retailers should offer their product to customers willing to pay cash at the true price the retailer gets after the credit card companies take their 10-15% from the sale?

The difference is that on the rest of the world the credit card tax is a burden on the seller's side, not pushed up into the client like in the US.
Just go on believing that the costs of doing business aren't passed on to consumers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 am

dmcconachie wrote:10-15%? Not a chance.
Cash vs credit prices and adding sales tax at the till rather than on the ticket? Pain in the ass! I'd rather just know what I see is what I'm paying!
No sales tax on fuel, it's already included. There is however the merchant fees per transaction and percentage of transaction, the price is inflated to cover those fees. IOW passed on to the consumer by being hidden in the price.

ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am

bgodette wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:10-15%? Not a chance.
Cash vs credit prices and adding sales tax at the till rather than on the ticket? Pain in the ass! I'd rather just know what I see is what I'm paying!
No sales tax on fuel, it's already included. There is however the merchant fees per transaction and percentage of transaction, the price is inflated to cover those fees. IOW passed on to the consumer by being hidden in the price.

I meant sales tax in general rather than on fuel in particular. And of course overheads are built into the price.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby foxitrot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:24 pm

bgodette wrote:Just go on believing that the costs of doing business aren't passed on to consumers.

Sure they are :smile: More on the cash ones, partially on the credit ones. Just as you've said, in a different context:
bgodette wrote:... the price is inflated to cover those fees. IOW passed on to the consumer by being hidden in the price.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 pm

foxitrot wrote:
bgodette wrote:Just go on believing that the costs of doing business aren't passed on to consumers.

Sure they are :smile: More on the cash ones, partially on the credit ones. Just as you've said, in a different context:
bgodette wrote:... the price is inflated to cover those fees. IOW passed on to the consumer by being hidden in the price.
The point being, in some parts of world, the price is less for cash and the difference is the CC fees.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PDXMadDog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 pm

"Drunk" gas. What is that?
PDXMadDog

Postby Daknife » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:36 am

Gas diluted with cheap booze (aka ethanol). Supposedly saving the environment even though you have to burn more of it to get the same distance and power.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby xplorer7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 am

According to the wiki, it is the credit price which should be entered:

Note: Waze only tracks a single price for each fuel grade. If a station offers a different price for cash or credit, the credit price is the recommended one to enter. The reason is for consistency among all Wazers and most people know the credit price is higher by a typical amount (when not the same as cash). In addition, the 3rd-Party pricing that Waze gets for some stations is the credit price. Entering the cash price only creates an inconsistency.
xplorer7

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:26 am

xplorer7 wrote:According to the wiki, it is the credit price which should be entered:

Note: Waze only tracks a single price for each fuel grade. If a station offers a different price for cash or credit, the credit price is the recommended one to enter. The reason is for consistency among all Wazers and most people know the credit price is higher by a typical amount (when not the same as cash). In addition, the 3rd-Party pricing that Waze gets for some stations is the credit price. Entering the cash price only creates an inconsistency.

This is the revision that changed the wording from Cash to Credit: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gas_Stations&diff=prev&oldid=30014
dated Dec 28, 2012 by Failsafe. I'll PM them and see what is going on.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General