Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Post by
Sadly, almost every gas station around me has different prices for cash and credit. What is the protocol for reporting prices via Waze's new feature? Should the cash price or credit price be reported?

For me, credit prices would be far more relevant. I hardly ever carry cash on me in the first place. In the past I have been disappointed in services like GasBuddy-- I would track down a station with a seemingly good price, only to find that the reported price was cash-only and thus did not apply to me. So I feel like I'd be doing people a favor by reporting the higher credit price. But I wanted to check here to see what is considered the "right" way.

POSTER_ID:291079

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:
deb52899 wrote:(which is the universal entry price for these apps right now)
Well, again, that's kind of the point. If its the universal entry price, that's great. But its pretty clear now that it is not the universal entry price in waze yet.
It's the guidance given to the beta testers to use cash prices, so that's the only thing we have for now. Ignore it if you wish.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:I'm surprised Alan hasn't mentioned anything about tipping your gas station attendant. :lol:
I'm sure there's a good reason you brought this up, but I can't remember the situation. :)

Yes, I have tipped at a gas station on numerous occasions. :mrgreen:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:Are you trying to say Waze shouldn't integrate hot dog prices?!
That's what I was going to use my flamethrower for. Another business venture killed... ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
gettingthere wrote:
daknife wrote:One more point against cash prices. The majority of drivers today pay at the pump.
And many of the people paying at the pump are paying with debit cards which therefore pay the cash price.
Debit Card users pay the Credit price, not the Cash price (because there are fees to the retailer associated with the use of the card)... Although they should be paying somewhere in the middle... http://ctwatchdog.com/finance/debit-car ... line-pumps

====================

On another note, the "legal" price for gas in Connecticut is the CREDIT price. Retailers are allowed to give a discount for paying Cash, but it is up to the individual gas station - IF they participate they must post BOTH prices on the pumps.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
gettingthere wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:On another note, the "legal" price for gas in Connecticut is the CREDIT price. Retailers are allowed to give a discount for paying Cash, but it is up to the individual gas station - IF they participate they must post BOTH prices on the pumps.
The issue here is that Waze is certainly not going to provide guidance for which price to use in different states (they won't provide any guidance as it is). We should have a country-wide standard if we expect to be able to get useful information out of the data - like finding the lowest priced gasoline or diesel independent of additional fees.
I think the simplest solution is to provide a Cash Price and a Credit Price in the app. As for Debit Card users, their charges vary by state (see above post by gettingthere) they should know what the laws/regulations are and know if they are paying Cash, Credit, Cash + $X fee and then use the available data to figure out their price.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
ratmice wrote:This assumes that the credit price increase is equal across the board, which it seems to be in my area.
It isn't.... and CT, the legal price of gas is the Credit Price & retailers are allowed to offer (at their own discretion) a discount for cash, and that varies from station to station...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
ratmice wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
ratmice wrote:This assumes that the credit price increase is equal across the board, which it seems to be in my area.
It isn't.... and CT, the legal price of gas is the Credit Price & retailers are allowed to offer (at their own discretion) a discount for cash, and that varies from station to station...
I didn't mean across the board, like every station has the same offset, but that the offset is the same for all grades at each station :roll: So, for EACH STATION, if there is a .09 "penalty" for using credit, then all you would have to do is update the prices, make sure the offset is correct, adjust if necessary, and go on your way.

If there is a different offset for different grades, then it's not as straightforward. However, a simple convention to choose the higher, or lower if you prefer, offset, will get you within pennies of the correct amount.

Sorry, can't do anything about your problem in CT where the credit price the "legal" price, but it doesn't really matter as long as both prices are displayed in Waze, does it?.
The offset can also vary at an individual station... When they first passed the law, most stations went to a 10 cent discount... Now that discount is between 4 & 9 cents at most stations, and some stations change the discount based on the price of gas...

I support posting the Credit price in Waze for the following reasons:
1) It's the HIGHER (or equal) price no matter where you are - I don't want to find the station with the lowest price and be surprised by a higher price just because I'm paying with plastic - a surprise lower price is always better. This is my primary reason.
2) It keeps the system easier - no tracking the difference between cash & credit - and you get a surprise discount.
3) It's the legal price in CT. If you look at the laws in many states, it's the legal price there too - most consumer protection laws prohibit charging an extra fee to use a credit and/or debit card.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
xplorer7 wrote:According to the wiki, it is the credit price which should be entered:
Note: Waze only tracks a single price for each fuel grade. If a station offers a different price for cash or credit, the credit price is the recommended one to enter. The reason is for consistency among all Wazers and most people know the credit price is higher by a typical amount (when not the same as cash). In addition, the 3rd-Party pricing that Waze gets for some stations is the credit price. Entering the cash price only creates an inconsistency.
This is the revision that changed the wording from Cash to Credit: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... ldid=30014
dated Dec 28, 2012 by Failsafe. I'll PM them and see what is going on.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by bgodette
xteejx wrote:
mapcat wrote: Some display the cash price.
Some display the cash price and the credit price.
Some display the price you pay if you use their proprietary credit card.
Some display the price for anyone with a store discount card.
Some display the price you pay if you buy a car wash too.
Etc.

And naturally, practices vary state by state, city by city.
Bloody hell! Kinda begs the question why start in the US with such a complex way of doing it?
I'm surprised Alan hasn't mentioned anything about tipping your gas station attendant. :lol:
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
dmcconachie wrote:Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

Frankly I think you should catch up with the rest of the world and have no difference between cash and credit!
So you don't think retailers should offer their product to customers willing to pay cash at the true price the retailer gets after the credit card companies take their 10-15% from the sale?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message