Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by gettingthere
AndyPoms wrote:I think the simplest solution is to provide a Cash Price and a Credit Price in the app.
Although then it's up to 8 fields of data to verify and maintain for many stations. I think that the other solutions that do only gas price tracking have stayed away from doing so because it over complicates the data entry. I don't use this applications frequently but the 2 or 3 that I have tried do not offer separate fields for cash and credit prices. Some offer an optional comments field though.

Maybe a cash and credit checkbox on the entry screen that is optional? That way when Wazers are searching for the lowest gas price they can at least know if the prices that are being displayed are the cash or credit prices. In places where the prices are not separate, the Wazer would not check either box when updating the prices. Too complicated?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
mapcat wrote:What do these people do when they leave the state?!
They leave? :lol:
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
All this nonsense about cash, credit, full serve, self serve, hot dogs etc is why this should not be over complicated and we should just be entering the cash, self serve prices. If there are not multiple prices posted just put in whatever you see.

If someone wants full serve or to pay with credit card they will expect to pay more. The prices need to be on a level field. You can't compare prices if they are all based on different payment methods and services.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
And thanks for mostly ignoring me :(. I didn't come up with the idea to report cash prices. It's already the standard with other applications that do the same.

So why so many rebels until Waze confirms what we already know?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by glosapp
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is a big problem where I am at (NJ). All too often I see inconsistencies when checking fuel prices. Some people are entering in credit and some are entering in cash.

Whatever Waze wants us to enter in, it should be in the Waze app that indicates what we should be entering, because after reading through this entire thread, I'm still uncertain what we should be entering.

I can tell you that around me, many are using credit cards, not cash, because not many are lugging around that kind of cash and NJ residents cannot pump their own gas. Another reason is due to the fact that people get annoyed when gas station attendants top off their tanks with the high cost of gas. This ultimately is what happens when you pay cash because the attendants want to round it up to .00 cents so they don't have to run inside and get change.

I honestly think that we should be entering in credit prices and there should be a checkbox at the bottom of the screen that says "Discount available for cash". With it checked, the cash prices become greyed out, but with it unchecked, the prices mimic the credit fields unless the user enters in a different amount in the cash field (which they should be able to do).

But again, I reiterate - whatever you decide, you need to make it in bold highlighted letters on the app that the user should be entering in cash (or credit) so there are no more inconsistencies.
glosapp
Send a message

Post by imper1um
I would report the higher of the two (whichever it is). The thing is that people will like it if gas is less, but will hate it if gas is more.
imper1um
Send a message
Waze Editor (2)
Editing Sanford/Altamonte Springs/Orlando, I-95 and Adjacent Cities (Central FL)

Post by jasonh300
shage13 wrote:you would almost need to sep by state then since some states only use one price i think its state regulated, ohio is one i know for sure is one price
Some states don't allow for a higher price for credit, but they're getting fewer and fewer as badly as the merchants are getting screwed by the processing charges for credit cards.

The standard is to post the cash price on Gasbuddy and other sites. If you're using a credit card, you should expect to pay a premium, and if you don't get charged more, SURPRISE!
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
There should be a way to indicate that a station sells real gas.

Don't get me started on E10. 10% ethanol and your mileage suffers by 15%. Pure gasoline costs about 2% more. The numbers don't make sense.

To save our precious natural resources, I'm doing my part by putting a couple of bricks in the bottom of my tank to displace a couple of gallons. Then I fill up with pure gas. Saves money and the environment!

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
My only argument for cash prices is that the cash price is what you see on the signs, the billboards, and even the pump until you initiate a credit card transaction.

And that's how GasBuddy does it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kbirger
It should be the higher of the two prices. Posting the lower (cash, usually) price could mislead some people. If you go based on the higher price, then you're at least no worse off.
kbirger
Send a message