Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
failsafe wrote:I've been paying attention, and around here, the third party prices are reasonably accurate, at least for the day before. They are also the credit prices, not cash.
Around here the majority of stations don't charge different price for credit than cash, so most of the time it doesn't matter for me. It only matters when I route to the lowest price and it turns out the station is one of the ones that charges a premium for credit. This does happen to me where the low price is the cash price and is labeled as updated by the third party.
So it seems to me the third party does not consistently provide the correct credit prices.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
It may be the guidance but I'm with Spil, it's far better to be pleased that the actual price is cheaper because I happen to be carrying $80 of cash on me (a very rare event), than it is to get to the "Cheapest" station only to realize that because I use plastic it's actually going to cost me more, and possibly more than the station across the street that doesn't differentiate or at least has a smaller difference between cash and credit.

The cash price may be the cheapest, but unless Waze provides an option to provide two price points for each fuel grade, putting credit is far better as it will be much less aggravating to those trying to save a little money.

Put Credit price, and Waze should consider a check box to indicate an additional cash discount (easier than two price boxes IMO).
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
One more point against cash prices. The majority of drivers today pay at the pump. In order to get the cash price you have to go into the store in order to pay cash. Thus the price being paid by the majority of drivers is the Credit price and that is the price that should be reported by the app. Again think about what is worse, to realize that because you have a C-note in your pocket you get to save a bit more. Or to find out that because you don't carry that C-note but instead use Debit or credit you are going to have to pay more than what the app said you would, and thus you skipped the station across the street that doesn't do a cash discount and splits the difference. Thus you pay more than you have to because Waze directed you falsely to the higher priced station.

Say what you will I will be reporting credit price, for that matter that's the price I report to Gas Buddy as well. It does not make sense to report the false lower price, unless there is an option to specify the fact that there is a price difference for carrying dangerous amounts of cash.

Edited to add that based on what I see when I search Gas Buddy and what I see driving around, it seems most other people in my area at least also report the credit price.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
failsafe wrote:I'm an adult. I pay at the pump with a credit card. I will continue to enter in the credit prices. Given how far off the third party reporters are, or how old the reports are, I'm doing better than if I just left it alone.
+ 100
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Just because Gas buddy tells you to drive off a washed out bridge doesn't mean it's the best way to go. So far the only cognizant reason given for entering cash prices is "That what GB does". Yet multiple well reasoned (and many not so well reasoned) explanations of why this is not a good idea have been given, all to be shot down with "But that's what GB does". Gas Buddy is not the end-all be all of fuel price reporting.

Again I ask you all to think about it for a second. What is better, to show up at a station thinking you will be paying $3.499 a gallon and finding out that because you happen to have sufficient cash and are willing to go into the store to the cashier you get an additional discount; or to show up at the station thinking you will be able to fill up at $3.499 a gallon and instead because you have entered the modern economy and use plastic you will have to pay an additional 10 cents a gallon. What is better? To be surprised by an additional savings or to be surprised by a higher price per gallon, particularly if you passed up a station a little closer and supposedly 5 cents more expensive, only to realize that instead of saving money it cost you as the 5 cents higher price is the credit price.

Gettingthere has been nothing but adamant that it's his way or the highway because that's what GB requests users do. (Though many examples of GB users not following those instructions have also been given.) I've followed this thread, I've participated in the thread and I have yet to see a single cognizant argument for cash prices other than "That's what GB does". Waze is not GB, Waze shouldn't want to be GB, Waze wants to be useful and accurate, GB just wants to post the lowest price possible, regardless of whether or not it's actually accessible to all their users. Example: how often are Costco or other shopping club stations at the top of the cheapest gas lists? Yet you have to pay an annual membership fee to get those prices. Another example is the gas station on the local Air Force base used to always top the list because they didn't charge the state sales tax, thus cutting the tax rate per gallon in half, but only those with military ID's could get the discounted rate (they eventually started charging the tax so they didn't have to keep separate pumps for non-military folks to use). Listing the lowest possible rates even if most drivers can't take advantage is useless. Listing the rate most drivers will be paying and then letting them enjoy the pleasure of an additional discount is far more sensible, IMO.

Cash price is useless to me as I rarely (never) carry that much cash on me (I drive a truck with a big tank), regardless of what the app says I will post the actual price because the number of drivers going inside to pay cash is a minuscule portion of the total number of those filling up. The credit price should be the base price as that is the price most drivers will be paying. Any cash discounts should be a bonus, not the standard. Waze doesn't have to copy GB, in fact it would be better to not copy GB so closely in case they decide Waze is stealing their users and thus their business.

Oh wait, I know the response, "But Gas Buddy uses the cash price...."
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Gas diluted with cheap booze (aka ethanol). Supposedly saving the environment even though you have to burn more of it to get the same distance and power.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by DangerDaneDK
Here it is thankfully only one price pr grade. No difference on card or cash.
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Flemming J., Denmark
Area Manager: Region of Southern Denmark / Region Syddanmark
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9+ SM-G965F, Android 8.0 Waze: Newest

https://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3s.png

Post by DangerDaneDK
How would Waze deal with different kinds of octane rations between countries ;).

Here in DK we have 92, 95, V-power(99) and Diesel. Add to that some of the other "special" brands of speciality fuels with special additives akin to Shell VPower, but without the heightened octane level.
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Flemming J., Denmark
Area Manager: Region of Southern Denmark / Region Syddanmark
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9+ SM-G965F, Android 8.0 Waze: Newest

https://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3s.png

Post by danh916
gettingthere wrote:Although it's unknown if there is some type of regular data feed to and from this 'partner' or whether we are on our own now as far as maintaining this data.
I noticed this morning that my local gas station was updated "Today" by a third party and had the correct prices, which were different than 2 days ago when I updated them myself. So it appears the feed could be regular.
danh916
Send a message

Post by Darthreflon
Here's a solution that should would work. When you fill up, there will be a screen that allows you to input what type you used, how much you paid and if you used cash or credit. Then when your searching for the cheapest price, you specify if you want cash or credit and what fuel type and it will display only those prices. There should be enough people to keep all the prices up to date using this method.

While I'm at it, why not allow us to input our miles and gallons too so we can keep track of our fuel mileage. I personally use separate apps for that but it would be nice if I could just input all this into one app. What you guys think?
Darthreflon
Send a message