Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
(Hopefully better late than never) Based on gettingthere's repeated clarification that the Waze development team suggested entering the cash price and other similar applications also using the cash price, I have updated the Wiki to reflect that recommendation.

Of course who knows if anyone actually reads all my updates from the forums into the Wiki. :roll:

For myself personally, I only use a credit card, but I am very aware that I pay for that convenience. If I compare the price at two stations, I just need to know which is cheaper using the same base measurement system (cash). Once I get there, I am less concerned that what I actually pay is $0.05-0.10 more per gallon because at the other station with a higher cash price, their credit price is going to be higher by the same amount. In that case I went to the cheapest station I could have selected. Objective achieved.

When you really think about it entering only the cash price as the base entered amount is simple, fast, and works the best for the most people (even when most people use a credit card).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
failsafe wrote:I will continue to enter in the credit prices...By where I live, cash and credit are the same anyway.
If true then you are actually entering the cash price which is what Waze is asking you to do.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
daknife wrote:Again I ask you all to think about it for a second. What is better, to show up at a station thinking you will be paying $3.499 a gallon and finding out that because you happen to have sufficient cash and are willing to go into the store to the cashier you get an additional discount; or to show up at the station thinking you will be able to fill up at $3.499 a gallon and instead because you have entered the modern economy and use plastic you will have to pay an additional 10 cents a gallon. What is better? To be surprised by an additional savings or to be surprised by a higher price per gallon, particularly if you passed up a station a little closer and supposedly 5 cents more expensive, only to realize that instead of saving money it cost you as the 5 cents higher price is the credit price.

I've followed this thread, I've participated in the thread and I have yet to see a single cognizant argument for cash prices other than "That's what GB does".
daknife, I believe I posted two cognizant arguments for cash prices other than GB. If you don't think they are cognizant, I am sorry. :)
kentsmith9 wrote:For myself personally, I only use a credit card, but I am very aware that I pay for that convenience. If I compare the price at two stations, I just need to know which is cheaper using the same base measurement system (cash). Once I get there, I am less concerned that what I actually pay is $0.05-0.10 more per gallon because at the other station with a higher cash price, their credit price is going to be higher by the same amount. In that case I went to the cheapest station I could have selected. Objective achieved.

When you really think about it entering only the cash price as the base entered amount is simple, fast, and works the best for the most people (even when most people use a credit card).
Gas prices change so much every week, I am not sure why so many people are so concerned about which one is tracked. Everyone needs to understand that a '''common''' one must be used between us for it to work for anyone. Frankly EITHER one would work for all of us as long as all of us entered the same one. If we all pick cash, the credit people know to add their $0.10. If we all pick credit, the cash people know to expect about $0.10 less.

Now that Waze has picked one for us, maybe we can move on.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by maantje76
For ROTW we provided all sorts of fuel per country. We also indicated to add an option for chargepoints for electrical cars...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by mapcat
xteejx wrote:Drunk gas wtf? :-!
Has alcohol in it. A political favor to US senators from corn-producing states.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
xteejx wrote:If the cash price is displayed on the matrix boards, and the cash price is your standard, stick it in the wiki and stop arguing. Standards are standards, please follow them for the sake of the community.
Standards are standards, as long as everyone's following them. Unfortunately, not all gas stations follow a standard.

Some display the cash price.
Some display the cash price and the credit price.
Some display the price you pay if you use their proprietary credit card.
Some display the price for anyone with a store discount card.
Some display the price you pay if you buy a car wash too.
Etc.

And naturally, practices vary state by state, city by city.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
gettingthere wrote:Maybe a cash and credit checkbox on the entry screen that is optional? That way when Wazers are searching for the lowest gas price they can at least know if the prices that are being displayed are the cash or credit prices. In places where the prices are not separate, the Wazer would not check either box when updating the prices. Too complicated?
How about 3 options below the prices with a radio button:
  • Cash price
  • Credit price
  • Both/unsure
Default is both/unsure

Asking someone to post two prices for four different fuel types is not going to work.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
xteejx wrote:Add another box to say how much air, water and the car wash is. *giggle*
You forgot sodas and hot dogs. And then the app should automatically calculate where your total bill will be lowest based on everything you plan to purchase.

I mean, if you're going to roll out something that doesn't work the way it should, why not add even more features that don't work?
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Spil wrote:"Gas station attendant"? They still have those out your way? :lol: Seriously, there is only one full-serve station that I know of within a 50-mile radius of my home -- every other station is self-serve. Oddly enough, that one full-serve station usually has the lowest price in the area too ... so it gets a lot of my business, especially when I'm in a hurry (or in winter, when I don't really want to get out of the van until I reach my destination :D).
Is it on a reservation? They're always the cheapest in my experience.

Re tipping station attendants: seriously? I've filled up in Oregon a dozen times or so, and not once has anyone been especially useful. One station had one guy working maybe 12 pumps, all of them in use. When I pulled up he wasn't around so I just got out and started it myself. The old man patiently waiting at the pump next to mine looked at me as if I'd just gotten the pump to dispense chardonnay and said "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"

What do these people do when they leave the state?!
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
IMO it's pointless to attempt to keep track of every possible price for every product at the station. Since cash price seems to be the popular choice, how about a checkbox that points out that the credit price is higher? How much higher shouldn't be that important; it would just warn people that there are different prices.

How we would get "3rd party" to obey any of these guidelines is beyond me.
mapcat
Send a message