Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Mike-1323
gettingthere wrote:I know that Waze is not Gas Buddy (a well established player with gas price tracking) but here is how they address this in their FAQ:
. . .
When reporting prices for stations in areas that have different prices based on method of payment, we ask that you post the cash price where it exists. If the station does not offer a cash price, the standard price should be reported.
And that's exactly why I quit using gas buddy. I tried using it to get the cheapest gas around and found that the prices that were reported weren't the prices that was being charged (pay at the pump) so I lost all faith in the accuracy of the prices reported.

I mean, why drive a few miles out of my way to save $0.10 on gas when the real price is no different solely because one station charges a different amount for cash. Since the prices reported have no indication of cash or credit there's no way to make an informed comparison and select the cheapest. Therefore the app was useless. The gas station search in waze may end up being the same.

However, I will still report prices; 8 points is 8 points. :D
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by nick9307
I think cash is the way to go
nick9307
Send a message

Post by PDXMadDog
"Drunk" gas. What is that?
PDXMadDog
Send a message

Post by peggyap
Why do we have to put in cash prices? I, like the first person in the thread, want to know the credit prices, so entering the cash prices doesn't even help myself.
Since people will never agree to all go along and do the same thing, I really hope the app engineers tweak it with an update to include credit/cash description options real soon.
peggyap
Send a message

Post by peggyap
I also think that reporting the credit price is better, and part of the reasoning is because I always use credit. When it first started around here (Metro Detroit), I did avoid stations who advertised 2 prices for regular unleaded, but as time went on, almost all stations do it now and it's impossible to avoid.

I rarely shop around for low gas prices, but I admit I like telling others the price of gas at a station I'm at. If I want lower gas prices, I fill up at Costco, otherwise the prices are all pretty close around me.

I'm going to enter in the credit price, because I think that affects more people. I don't want to carry around $100 in cash to fill up my car- I want to get the credit card hilton points. :)
peggyap
Send a message

Post by ratmice
There may be a fairly simple way to get the best of both worlds in regards to cash/credit. Given that cash is the desired entry for tracking prices, why not have the credit card price calculate automatically? All you would need is a credit price offset indicator and set of buttons to increment, or decrement the offset. This assumes that the credit price increase is equal across the board, which it seems to be in my area. One additional step to make a gas price entry, and everybody's happy.
ratmice
Send a message

Post by ratmice
AndyPoms wrote:
ratmice wrote:This assumes that the credit price increase is equal across the board, which it seems to be in my area.
It isn't.... and CT, the legal price of gas is the Credit Price & retailers are allowed to offer (at their own discretion) a discount for cash, and that varies from station to station...
I didn't mean across the board, like every station has the same offset, but that the offset is the same for all grades at each station :roll: So, for EACH STATION, if there is a .09 "penalty" for using credit, then all you would have to do is update the prices, make sure the offset is correct, adjust if necessary, and go on your way.

If there is a different offset for different grades, then it's not as straightforward. However, a simple convention to choose the higher, or lower if you prefer, offset, will get you within pennies of the correct amount.

Sorry, can't do anything about your problem in CT where the credit price is the "legal" price, but it doesn't really matter as long as both prices are displayed in Waze, does it?.
ratmice
Send a message

Post by ratmice
AndyPoms wrote:The offset can also vary at an individual station... When they first passed the law, most stations went to a 10 cent discount... Now that discount is between 4 & 9 cents at most stations, and some stations change the discount based on the price of gas...
So you're saying that if the credit price for regular is 3.89, and the cash "discount" price is 3.80 (diff of .09) then it's possible that for premium with a credit price of 4.04, the cash discount price could be 3.94 (diff of 0.10)? I've never seen that, I'll have to look for it.

Even so, as I mentioned before, you could choose an "average" offset and still be within pennies (even on the total transaction). Thus, you can have all prices reflected in Waze, and be pretty spot-on, too. Choose the highest offset, if you want, to be pleasantly surprised, when it's a few cents less.

p.s. Nothing is perfect, but I see this as a (baby) step in the right direction.
ratmice
Send a message

Post by ratmice
mapcat wrote:IMO it's pointless to attempt to keep track of every possible price for every product at the station. Since cash price seems to be the popular choice, how about a checkbox that points out that the credit price is higher? How much higher shouldn't be that important; it would just warn people that there are different prices.

How we would get "3rd party" to obey any of these guidelines is beyond me.
If there's an easy way to do it why not? It would be automatically calculated by the app and the user verified offset. All we need is the 3rd party to populate one set of prices, the other can be calculated.
ratmice
Send a message

Post by shage13
you would almost need to sep by state then since some states only use one price i think its state regulated, ohio is one i know for sure is one price
shage13
Send a message