Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Post by BustaUppa
Sadly, almost every gas station around me has different prices for cash and credit. What is the protocol for reporting prices via Waze's new feature? Should the cash price or credit price be reported?

For me, credit prices would be far more relevant. I hardly ever carry cash on me in the first place. In the past I have been disappointed in services like GasBuddy-- I would track down a station with a seemingly good price, only to find that the reported price was cash-only and thus did not apply to me. So I feel like I'd be doing people a favor by reporting the higher credit price. But I wanted to check here to see what is considered the "right" way.
BustaUppa

POSTER_ID:291079

Send a message

Post by bgodette
davipt wrote:
bgodette wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Nobody is speaking for the US, most of the US Champs were in agreement that it should be cash which is the true price.

Frankly I think you should catch up with the rest of the world and have no difference between cash and credit!
So you don't think retailers should offer their product to customers willing to pay cash at the true price the retailer gets after the credit card companies take their 10-15% from the sale?
The difference is that on the rest of the world the credit card tax is a burden on the seller's side, not pushed up into the client like in the US.
Just go on believing that the costs of doing business aren't passed on to consumers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
dmcconachie wrote:10-15%? Not a chance.
Cash vs credit prices and adding sales tax at the till rather than on the ticket? Pain in the ass! I'd rather just know what I see is what I'm paying!
No sales tax on fuel, it's already included. There is however the merchant fees per transaction and percentage of transaction, the price is inflated to cover those fees. IOW passed on to the consumer by being hidden in the price.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
foxitrot wrote:
bgodette wrote:Just go on believing that the costs of doing business aren't passed on to consumers.
Sure they are :smile: More on the cash ones, partially on the credit ones. Just as you've said, in a different context:
bgodette wrote:... the price is inflated to cover those fees. IOW passed on to the consumer by being hidden in the price.
The point being, in some parts of world, the price is less for cash and the difference is the CC fees.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Drunk gas=with ethanol. Took me a few before light bulb went on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BustaUppa
Thanks for the clarification! Oh well, I still dream of an app that will offer both. :|
BustaUppa
Send a message

Post by BustaUppa
Personally I'd like to stick with the current system of reporting cash prices, but with a single checkbox added that reads "Same Price Cash/Credit". It would work perfectly in my area at least, since the single-price stations are a rare exception now. I've gotten used to just assuming any station has two prices and making mental notes of the few good ones. The proposed checkbox would simplify this mental note-taking progress, and be very useful when I'm traveling outside my usual routes. :mrgreen:
BustaUppa
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Is there guidance we can point to on this issue. If not, there should be now that the gas price feature is in the general release versions. I will admit, I have been entering the credit prices.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Well, they really need to do this, because consistency is key.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
deb52899 wrote:(which is the universal entry price for these apps right now)
Well, again, that's kind of the point. If its the universal entry price, that's great. But its pretty clear now that it is not the universal entry price in waze yet.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message