Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby mapcat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:58 pm

gettingthere wrote:Maybe a cash and credit checkbox on the entry screen that is optional? That way when Wazers are searching for the lowest gas price they can at least know if the prices that are being displayed are the cash or credit prices. In places where the prices are not separate, the Wazer would not check either box when updating the prices. Too complicated?

How about 3 options below the prices with a radio button:
  • Cash price
  • Credit price
  • Both/unsure
Default is both/unsure

Asking someone to post two prices for four different fuel types is not going to work.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby mapcat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm

xteejx wrote:Add another box to say how much air, water and the car wash is. *giggle*

You forgot sodas and hot dogs. And then the app should automatically calculate where your total bill will be lowest based on everything you plan to purchase.

I mean, if you're going to roll out something that doesn't work the way it should, why not add even more features that don't work?
mapcat

Re: Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby mapcat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Spil wrote:"Gas station attendant"? They still have those out your way? :lol: Seriously, there is only one full-serve station that I know of within a 50-mile radius of my home -- every other station is self-serve. Oddly enough, that one full-serve station usually has the lowest price in the area too ... so it gets a lot of my business, especially when I'm in a hurry (or in winter, when I don't really want to get out of the van until I reach my destination :D).

Is it on a reservation? They're always the cheapest in my experience.

Re tipping station attendants: seriously? I've filled up in Oregon a dozen times or so, and not once has anyone been especially useful. One station had one guy working maybe 12 pumps, all of them in use. When I pulled up he wasn't around so I just got out and started it myself. The old man patiently waiting at the pump next to mine looked at me as if I'd just gotten the pump to dispense chardonnay and said "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"

What do these people do when they leave the state?!
mapcat

Postby mapcat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:00 pm

IMO it's pointless to attempt to keep track of every possible price for every product at the station. Since cash price seems to be the popular choice, how about a checkbox that points out that the credit price is higher? How much higher shouldn't be that important; it would just warn people that there are different prices.

How we would get "3rd party" to obey any of these guidelines is beyond me.
mapcat

Postby Mike-1323 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

gettingthere wrote:I know that Waze is not Gas Buddy (a well established player with gas price tracking) but here is how they address this in their FAQ:
. . .
When reporting prices for stations in areas that have different prices based on method of payment, we ask that you post the cash price where it exists. If the station does not offer a cash price, the standard price should be reported.

And that's exactly why I quit using gas buddy. I tried using it to get the cheapest gas around and found that the prices that were reported weren't the prices that was being charged (pay at the pump) so I lost all faith in the accuracy of the prices reported.

I mean, why drive a few miles out of my way to save $0.10 on gas when the real price is no different solely because one station charges a different amount for cash. Since the prices reported have no indication of cash or credit there's no way to make an informed comparison and select the cheapest. Therefore the app was useless. The gas station search in waze may end up being the same.

However, I will still report prices; 8 points is 8 points. :D

Image Image Image
AM - Northern Virginia - Fairfax/Ft. Belvoir
SM - Virginia & CM - USA

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types
Mike-1323
State Manager
State Manager

Postby nick9307 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 am

I think cash is the way to go
nick9307

Postby PDXMadDog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 pm

"Drunk" gas. What is that?
PDXMadDog

Postby peggyap » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 am

Why do we have to put in cash prices? I, like the first person in the thread, want to know the credit prices, so entering the cash prices doesn't even help myself.
Since people will never agree to all go along and do the same thing, I really hope the app engineers tweak it with an update to include credit/cash description options real soon.
peggyap

Postby peggyap » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:51 am

I also think that reporting the credit price is better, and part of the reasoning is because I always use credit. When it first started around here (Metro Detroit), I did avoid stations who advertised 2 prices for regular unleaded, but as time went on, almost all stations do it now and it's impossible to avoid.

I rarely shop around for low gas prices, but I admit I like telling others the price of gas at a station I'm at. If I want lower gas prices, I fill up at Costco, otherwise the prices are all pretty close around me.

I'm going to enter in the credit price, because I think that affects more people. I don't want to carry around $100 in cash to fill up my car- I want to get the credit card hilton points. :)
peggyap

Postby ratmice » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 am

There may be a fairly simple way to get the best of both worlds in regards to cash/credit. Given that cash is the desired entry for tracking prices, why not have the credit card price calculate automatically? All you would need is a credit price offset indicator and set of buttons to increment, or decrement the offset. This assumes that the credit price increase is equal across the board, which it seems to be in my area. One additional step to make a gas price entry, and everybody's happy.
ratmice

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General