Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby reflon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Here's a solution that should would work. When you fill up, there will be a screen that allows you to input what type you used, how much you paid and if you used cash or credit. Then when your searching for the cheapest price, you specify if you want cash or credit and what fuel type and it will display only those prices. There should be enough people to keep all the prices up to date using this method.

While I'm at it, why not allow us to input our miles and gallons too so we can keep track of our fuel mileage. I personally use separate apps for that but it would be nice if I could just input all this into one app. What you guys think?
reflon

Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby shage13 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 am

you would almost need to sep by state then since some states only use one price i think its state regulated, ohio is one i know for sure is one price
shage13

Postby SHankItUpGolf » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 pm

With everyone referencing what GasBuddy does... I distinctly remember the GasBuddy FAQ formerly stating (within the past year) that you should report the credit/debit price and add in the comments if there is a cash discount since most people use cards. I'm guessing they changed this since to get more uniformity since many people report the prices driving down the road based on the sign which often has only the lower cash price.
SHankItUpGolf

Postby Spil » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 am

imper1um wrote:I would report the higher of the two (whichever it is). The thing is that people will like it if gas is less, but will hate it if gas is more.
kbirger wrote:It should be the higher of the two prices. Posting the lower (cash, usually) price could mislead some people. If you go based on the higher price, then you're at least no worse off.

I agree ... we do have one station in my area that has a higher credit-card price for diesel only, and it's a truck stop right by the interstate. My reasonable assumption in today's society is that trucking companies generally give their long-haul drivers a card instead of a few thousand in cash for gas at the start of their trips (I could be wrong about this, but it seems logical to me, at least). At any rate, I would rather have someone overjoyed at getting to pay $.06/gallon less than what Waze told him than to have someone furious at having to pay $.06/gallon more than what Waze said the price would be. ;)
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby Spil » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:49 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:I'm surprised Alan hasn't mentioned anything about tipping your gas station attendant. :lol:

I'm sure there's a good reason you brought this up, but I can't remember the situation. :)

Yes, I have tipped at a gas station on numerous occasions. :mrgreen:

"Gas station attendant"? They still have those out your way? :lol: Seriously, there is only one full-serve station that I know of within a 50-mile radius of my home -- every other station is self-serve. Oddly enough, that one full-serve station usually has the lowest price in the area too ... so it gets a lot of my business, especially when I'm in a hurry (or in winter, when I don't really want to get out of the van until I reach my destination :D).

I know that there are states (NJ comes to mind as an example, although it may have changed since I was last there) where the government has decided that its citizens are either too careless or too dumb to pump their own gas, and has passed legislation requiring all stations to be full-serve.

[tongue-in-cheek] On the full/self issue ... that could bring up another lengthy discussion ;) -- I remember in the past seeing stations that had full-serve and self-serve pumps, and the self-serve cost less than the full-serve. So why not make 4 price fields per grade per station (full/cash, full/credit, self/cash, self/credit)? And why only 4 grades? Some stations in my area have 7 grades (86, 87, 89, 91, 93, diesel, kerosene) -- why slight them with only 4 grades? [/tongue-in-cheek] :roll: :lol:
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby Spil » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:31 am

failsafe wrote:... All but once, I've seen credit prices when I see "reported by 3rd party."

All but twice, I've only seen inaccurate and/or missing prices when I see "reported by 3rd party".
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby swhaze » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm

kbirger wrote:It should be the higher of the two prices. Posting the lower (cash, usually) price could mislead some people. If you go based on the higher price, then you're at least no worse off.

I agree. I would rather be pleasantly surprised that the cash price was lower!
swhaze

Postby Unholy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 am

Hi guys and gals,

We will add a note the "update gas price menu" that it should be cash only.
I'm not sure we'll be able to add it to our next release, but it will be added to one of the next releases.

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby xplorer7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 am

According to the wiki, it is the credit price which should be entered:

Note: Waze only tracks a single price for each fuel grade. If a station offers a different price for cash or credit, the credit price is the recommended one to enter. The reason is for consistency among all Wazers and most people know the credit price is higher by a typical amount (when not the same as cash). In addition, the 3rd-Party pricing that Waze gets for some stations is the credit price. Entering the cash price only creates an inconsistency.
xplorer7

Postby xteejx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Drunk gas wtf? :-!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General