Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Reporting Gas prices - cash or credit?

Postby peggyap » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 am

Why do we have to put in cash prices? I, like the first person in the thread, want to know the credit prices, so entering the cash prices doesn't even help myself.
Since people will never agree to all go along and do the same thing, I really hope the app engineers tweak it with an update to include credit/cash description options real soon.
peggyap

Postby gettingthere » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:12 pm

CBenson wrote:Based on this thread, I will enter the cash price. But, most aren't going to see this thread. I simply don't think it going to work well to rely on people knowing the "standard."

...It seem to me to be highly beneficial for waze to simply state that the prices that are shown from the external source are cash prices and that they should be updated by wazers with the cash price...

Yes, it's a problem. I provided feedback to Waze during the Beta to specify that cash prices should be entered (a note on the data entry screen). It seems that my suggestion has been ignored and now there is confusion.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm

gettingthere wrote:Every single gas price application uses the cash price. It's the standard unless credit prices are specified.

But, I didn't know this as I never used another gas price application. In the absence of this information or guidance from waze, putting the highest price was my natural inclination. Based on this thread, I will enter the cash price. But, most aren't going to see this thread. I simply don't think it going to work well to rely on people knowing the "standard."

gettingthere wrote:Again, please update prices using the cash price. All Wazers need to be using the same data entry process or this new gas price comparison functionality is totally useless since you cannot compare between stations effectively. It's bad enough that prices are already showing for grades of fuel that are not available (eg. Diesel).

I totally agree. Most prices currently come from the third party source. It seem to me to be highly beneficial for waze to simply state that the prices that are shown from the external source are cash prices and that they should be updated by wazers with the cash price.

gettingthere wrote:If you pay with credit card you know you will be paying more in many cases. You surely already know which brands around you charge extra for credit.
To be honest, I can't remember the last time I was at a station that charged extra for credit. No that's not right, the last time was the second time I used waze to find a gas station. But before that I can't remember. So I haven't really given cash prices any thought until waze added the feature.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Every single gas price application uses the cash price. It's the standard unless credit prices are specified.

Again, please update prices using the cash price. All Wazers need to be using the same data entry process or this new gas price comparison functionality is totally useless since you cannot compare between stations effectively. It's bad enough that prices are already showing for grades of fuel that are not available (eg. Diesel).

If you pay with credit card you know you will be paying more in many cases. You surely already know which brands around you charge extra for credit.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:01 pm

It may be the guidance but I'm with Spil, it's far better to be pleased that the actual price is cheaper because I happen to be carrying $80 of cash on me (a very rare event), than it is to get to the "Cheapest" station only to realize that because I use plastic it's actually going to cost me more, and possibly more than the station across the street that doesn't differentiate or at least has a smaller difference between cash and credit.

The cash price may be the cheapest, but unless Waze provides an option to provide two price points for each fuel grade, putting credit is far better as it will be much less aggravating to those trying to save a little money.

Put Credit price, and Waze should consider a check box to indicate an additional cash discount (easier than two price boxes IMO).
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:40 pm

CBenson wrote:
deb52899 wrote:(which is the universal entry price for these apps right now)

Well, again, that's kind of the point. If its the universal entry price, that's great. But its pretty clear now that it is not the universal entry price in waze yet.

It's the guidance given to the beta testers to use cash prices, so that's the only thing we have for now. Ignore it if you wish.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:26 pm

deb52899 wrote:(which is the universal entry price for these apps right now)

Well, again, that's kind of the point. If its the universal entry price, that's great. But its pretty clear now that it is not the universal entry price in waze yet.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby deb52899 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:46 pm

I would not go to that station if it listed the higher credit price - meaning cash at BP is 3.50 and credit at BP is 3.60. Cash at Shell down the street is 3.55 and credit is 3.65. If someone put in the credit price for the BP and the cash price (which is the universal entry price for these apps right now) for Shell, I would go to Shell, not BP. Then I would pay .05 more than I should have and be upset because Waze directed me to the wrong station.

Also, if you use that station's credit card (i.e., BP card at BP station), it is considered cash for the price difference.
deb52899

Postby Spil » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 am

imper1um wrote:I would report the higher of the two (whichever it is). The thing is that people will like it if gas is less, but will hate it if gas is more.
kbirger wrote:It should be the higher of the two prices. Posting the lower (cash, usually) price could mislead some people. If you go based on the higher price, then you're at least no worse off.

I agree ... we do have one station in my area that has a higher credit-card price for diesel only, and it's a truck stop right by the interstate. My reasonable assumption in today's society is that trucking companies generally give their long-haul drivers a card instead of a few thousand in cash for gas at the start of their trips (I could be wrong about this, but it seems logical to me, at least). At any rate, I would rather have someone overjoyed at getting to pay $.06/gallon less than what Waze told him than to have someone furious at having to pay $.06/gallon more than what Waze said the price would be. ;)
Spil

Postby danh916 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 pm

gettingthere wrote:Although it's unknown if there is some type of regular data feed to and from this 'partner' or whether we are on our own now as far as maintaining this data.

I noticed this morning that my local gas station was updated "Today" by a third party and had the correct prices, which were different than 2 days ago when I updated them myself. So it appears the feed could be regular.
danh916

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General