Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Cool. Those are some fast speeds too!

I've used Speedtest before, but lately have used Coverage Map. It's a cnet app which tracks signal strength, upload/download speed and location. The info gets (anonymously) uploaded and they are (trying) to have a non-carrier-owned coverage map.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bkayrac
captnkeegs wrote:Kinda confusing why Apple wouldn't make the iPhone SVDO compatible, Verizon's network is capable of it, even with just 3g coverage I can still make a call and use data on my 4G Galaxy S3 on Verizon.

Verizon has by far has the largest LTE network (not to be confused with AT&T's statement that they have the largest 4g network, what they're referring to is HSPA+ (not nearly as fast as LTE)).

Be sure to check which carrier covers you.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/supp ... ge-locator
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

it's a byproduct of the iphone 5 design.....was done to help battery life with LTE, therefor it will never work with sprint/verizon

for clarification, the iphone 5 hardware simply won't allow it, it's that new architecture for LTE, where there is only 1 radio, instead of LTE having it's own radio
bkayrac
Send a message

Post by bkayrac
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bkayrac wrote:it's a byproduct of the iphone 5 design.....was done to help battery life with LTE, therefor it will never work with sprint/verizon

for clarification, the iphone 5 hardware simply won't allow it, it's that new architecture for LTE, where there is only 1 radio, instead of LTE having it's own radio
One of the articles I read suggests that as LTE matures (not sure what that means, exactly) then providers like Verizon will be able to have SVD. I don't totally understand why/how GSM can do this and LTE cannot. You'd think the next big thing would at least have what seems an important feature of older technology...

The problem is it just doesn't have the extra antenna......LTE is notoriously battery hungry, which is why many of the android phones have had severe issues with battery life with LTE enabled

They went with the new design, which allows LTE(a GSM variant) to work with a CDMA connection.....this allows them to keep providing the solid battery life that iphones give, along with keeping the size down......basically they are mixing 2 incompatible formats, so while it works, it doesn't have the same features as one has staying strictly with one format

LTE is capable of voice, BUT theres not anywhere near enough coverage, thats what they mean by LTE maturing, is the coverage not being terrible........verizon is decent, but anywhere outside of a mainish city and you probably won't get it

I may be rough at explaining it, but you should get the idea
bkayrac
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
How often do you use voice services? How often (if ever) do you roam in other counties?

Personally if your usage is similar to industry trends (decreasing) I would stick with AT&T. If you ever roam globally or in a service area that does not have LTE, the 3G AT&T data speeds are generally faster than Verizon.

I would suspect that most carriers would avoid this issue of not being able to do simultaneous voice and data a these new networks are built out. Data is king.

How are the current Verizon LTE Android smartphones handling simultaneous voice and data?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
If this data is correct this is relevant to your question:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/ ... n_networks

No simultaneous voice and data with the iPhone 5 on Verizon. I believe that I read somewhere that voice over LTE (how the cellular carriers could be connecting their voice calls) is something that is feasible in the future.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Be careful with trade ins. The vendor that runs the trade in program has final say in the condition. I read some complaints recently about the vendor that Amazon uses for their trade ins. You send it in and they downgrade the condition and price.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
FWIW I have an iPhone 5 on pre-order from Apple.com. I have decided to stick with AT&T mainly because my GPS app(s) with live traffic must get updated when I am on the phone. Yes, Verizon generally has a more reliable network, greater LTE coverage, and higher rated customer service. Also with my daily use in both Mexico and the USA, GSM is a better solution for more seamless roaming.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Another article from Anandtech regarding the lack of support of simultaneous voice and cellular data with the Verizon and Sprint versions of the iPhone 5:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why- ... o-support-
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
When the carriers start to do voice over LTE the phones will likely be ready. 3G is not going away for years, at least in the USA. The carriers are still trying to figure out a way to get to get rid of 2G!

It is very disappointing that the CDMA carriers did not 'force' Apple to support simultaneous voice and data with the iPhone 5.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Exactly. Data is becoming or has become more important than voice. It's too bad the cellular companies will not let you have a data only package with the iPhone. This would be great.

There are lots of VOIP apps for iPhone. Viber seems to be pretty popular. Although to effectively use it to eliminate voice calls the person you are speaking to must have it also. It's free, no ads. There are many other options.

http://www.viber.com/
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message