Post by SkiDooGuy
I would love to believe you Shirli, I really would.

But this issue has been brought up SO MANY times over the years in various capacities. You know how many times it's changed?

If you guessed more than 0 you're off by however many you guessed. It may have improved for tiny amounts for very short periods, but it always settles back to the same issues.

That is part of the reason I left my position as a Champ. There is simply no point to me giving up so much of my free time when there are Waze employees PAID to communicate with us. Yet it never happens.

Don't get me wrong, Irad was absolutely outstanding at answering our emails and questions when directed to him. But the forums, which are our main communication platform provided by you guys, remain quite.

I see versions of WME go by with no changelogs, updates, or issues fixed.

So I genuinely ask you, why should I spend so much of my time doing this when Waze continues to make it obvious they don't care if I am here or not?

The only reason I stayed as long as I did is my love of the community. The Great Lakes Region and Michigan especially has the best community I have ever seen for a hobby. The Champ's, SM's, AM's and editors work together seamlessly and turn out a excellent product for YOUR users. I cannot tell you how many times editors enter or ask for closures on roads for construction or accidents at all times of day and night.

And your repayment is to break the tools they use to make that happen.

I am sorry for the general negativity of this post, but I certainly didn't resign my position because of the excellence of service.

I am appreciative for all the fun over the years and the opportunities I gained through Waze, and hope it improves for those that follow me.

-Bruce
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by starmandpc
blakviper wrote:Iain,
I couldn't agree ore with you, I too felt desillutionated by Waze earlier. I began editing in 2011, became country coordinator, Local Champ, country manager, etc, etc, etc.

I left all behind, I do edit every now and then, not as before, but whenever I want.

All of the sudden I felt like they (Waze) were demanding me to spend more time on the forums and other things (that's why I never looked forward to be a Global Champ) until they made me choose between getting more involved or quit been a coordinator. That's when I said no more, this is something that's supposed to be fun and something that you do in your free time... Why, because one just likes doing it, it has never been about money or something else.

So I made my mind and left.

Do I miss been involved? I do, but never the less I believe it was something I had to do.

Great post man, I agree with you, best of lucks.....

Blakviper
This is exactly how I feel, Waze wanted to participate more in the forums as if that corrected the maps automatically, the champs used Hangout to agree on how to proceed with the problems and solutions of the system, but to forcefully request the participation in the forums as if I were an employee is not acceptable.

Enough had to be dealing with a particular champ who always opposed the proposals we made as a group and all for lack of criteria of this person and also have to meet a Waze agenda? NO GRACIAS!

Currently I continue to correct the map based on the rules and needs of my city and roads that I commute daily.
starmandpc
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Saludos
Fernando Gamboa
Country Manager
[img]https:///MnAzv[/img][img]https:///EzCDt[/img]
iPhone 6 plus, iOS 9.0

Post by top_gun_de
Iain, you hit the nail on the head. I hope you send a link to this thread to your respective community manager, otherwise it will get lost.
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
Guys, as was announced by Shirli, this week will be a meetup where staff goes over the aggregated issues.

To the country-coordinators: Send your summary to your community manager asap. I just did and am anxious to read the response. I won't post it here, because it contains fresh conflicts that my community is not yet aware of, and which need to be settled in one direction or the other so each team-member can decide if he wants to continue to edit.

Best,

Detlev
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
@Dwarflord, well spoken. Now, if kpi #3 is already measured, and the staff-conclusion is as simple as "we need to extend autopromotion", then it's also clear that somebody at staff is not always ending up with optimal conclusions. And that's why I am very thankful to Iain for his open letter.

Best,

Fetlev

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
Hi guys,

this thread is about issues in the communication channels, it's about needed changes in the communication strategy. It is not about the top pressing issues in the editor, the app or the routing server. So please keep this thread focussed.

Thanks a lot,

Detlev
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
I wouldn't bother investing work into such lists unless there is a commitment from the product team about the impact these lists will have on priorities...
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
iainhouse wrote:As I see it, there has been a significant improvement in communications between HQ & the editing community. New processes have been developed and there seems to be a genuine desire to improve communications.
Sorry but I think you are developing Stockholm Syndrome

If you can point me to anything that shows what the plan is for various Waze features. Yeah sure https://waze.uservoice.com exists but then it isnt updated. The fifth item down has been implemented but still listed as planned.

Waze HQ breaks stuff and then does nothing to fix it. Specifically the water layer. Over three years ago this was broken. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=124948 And what has happened since. Absolutely nothing. No communication. Nothing.

Then there are features rolled out in the editor like Tunnels. Just over two years ago. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=165173 What has been the point of that? Nothing. A bunch of VOLUNTEER editor effort to mark up all the appropriate segments and then nothing.

In Australia we regularly have new editors ask what does Waze HQ want us to do about X to which the reply is they couldn't care less. Comply with the wiki and beyond that we will just agree as a country how we want to do it. That is an outrageous situation and for a company which relies on its community to update the maps I cant believe the level of contempt to be honest.

So please if there has been change then please point me to it so I can feel some level of appreciation.
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
OK I will attempt to engage though our GC and see if any issues get resolved.

However, I don't think it is acceptable for Waze HQ to simply ignore global issues such as water layer, long distance navigation and tunnel navigation, for example. You can't just ignore the users who are helping to make your app a success. You end up with a situation like around Melbourne at the moment with effectively no editors. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... 261&zoom=0
marcedli wrote:Your “job” is to edit the map to reflect reality as much as it can.

And over 90% of the new tools came because we (community) needed it. Maybe not all communities need all the tools, but our ask is usually heard.

Their job is to support you with the WME and make a good enough navigation system in your country.
Yes that is an interesting point of view but normally for any "job" you would get something back. The issues we have in Australia are not with the WME so I am not sure what all these issues are that other countries are having. What we need fixed are all the issues that we have to apologise for in URs that we the map editors have no control over.

I hear though from the responders that things are apparently not as bad as I think so I will, as I said, attempt to address these issues through the GC.
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
Thanks Vince. Your points are well made and I think Iain has summed it up that perhaps the next layer down from HQ may also need improving in terms of communication for the Australian editors. I will be trying to coordinate a better way to disseminate information particularly for issues which are dragging on for years. Right now we have he situation whereby people (like me) are forced to Google for forum posts from who knows how long ago to try and find answers which may or may not still be relevant.
i think we probably agree though that there are issues which are being handled poorly. Any further ideas how best to handle these standing problems would be appreciated. If you want an example then please use the water layer problem.
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message