Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by ttninja55
Thank you for your post. I agree with much of your post. I enjoy the hobby, I enjoy the community and I enjoy making a difference. The flip side is, without any proof to the contrary I believe the developers believe they are making WME better for us. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need for an update.
ttninja55
Send a message

Post by vince1612
mikupoiss wrote:coming from a small country with good map and hectic CM appearance, I find it necessary to make some exceptions for chain of communication and user promotions.
If you're in a self managed community the chain of communication should first be to try to handle your CM appearance problems with the CM directly to see if there isn't a way you could perhaps get in touch with him easily in case of urgent problems. Then it seems your country has a LC (zCougar), so you would then have to speak with him to handle local issues or promotions.

As you pointed out it's hard enough for the current staff team to communicate well about global problems, features, issues. So I don't think they should be the exceptional go to people for any local items (reckless editors, country specific issues etc..) that a Local Champ (or perhaps a Global Champ from a neighbor country) could handle very well.
As neighbor GC's you have:
DimanZ1 (Russia)
Manzareck (Russia)
Olestas (Latvia)
ranttine (Finland)
RIFF_RAFF (Latvia)
vladimobile (Russia)

While they might prefer not to handle promotions in Estonia directly, they could help with the dicussions and process. And they could certainly help to block reckless editors and provide guidance for other country specific issues, including ones where staff might be needed as they would be able to get in touch with them easily.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by vince1612
I see many people commenting here now mostly about Iain's first post, but I feel like it should be pointed out that this thread and most of the discussions it generated happened a month ago, so it's a bit late to be reacting to page 1 only, and too soon to already judge on anything. Things have happened in one month and more things are supposed to happen that haven't been given a chance to be happening yet.

Take the time to read the full thread and you'll see Iain posted other messages after his first one. As GC-Staff communications are not public, you cannot really know if the words of comfort staff posted here are really -all- that has been done by them since this thread was opened. So reading page 2-8 might show you that there has been some improvements already.
I know and realize many have seen a yo-yo effect in the past and believe this is just another temporary improvement, but to be fair I think we should wait and see. It has only been 10 days since we were given staff's plans to improve things further, it's too short to be judging yet.

Also realize that if you're not an LC or a GC you may not see a difference but that would be normal and it wouldn't mean that things are not changing. This thread is a testimony showing that staff has a hard enough time communicating with a group of a few hundred individuals, so I don't think other people should "hijack" this thread and use the support it got to put pressure on staff for unrealistic hopes that they would suddenly become communications experts that will devote 100% of their time to reading and responding to everything and everyone in this forum. This simply won't happen.

The Champ roles have been created by staff for a reason in this growing community which they simply cannot handle all by themselves anymore. As we keep telling the newbies or the "I am Waze ROYALTY!" people who think of themselves as high priority VIPs everytime they make their first-ever forum post about missing points in the "Waze App" forum section: please use your existing communities.
Get in touch with your local people, know who your AM, SM, CM, RC, LC, GC are. Each of them should be able to help you on most problems without needing any communication with staff in the first place, if not, each of them can pass the info to the next one until if even a GC can't help solve the issue, then he/she should be able to pass it on to staff. And this is where we need communication to be simple, efficient and effective for it to benefit everyone, otherwise we all know what happens when there are traffic jams and how much time they can make us lose.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.

Post by vince1612
Since you're not making any mention of it and for fairness's sake, I'm only going to add that I was as surprised as anyone else about this release to prod WME. However in my case I contacted the same staff person who writes the release notes to ask about it.
She told me she was writing them as we spoke, she knew the devs were going to release it that day but unfortunately she got stuck in a long meeting which didn't allow her to write them as early as she would have wanted to.
Did the team releasing the beta version to prod know or care that she was stuck in a meeting? I don't know... Did she care? I think she did, otherwise she wouldn't have answered in less than a minute that she was in the process of writing those release notes and apologizing for the delay.

All Global Champs were aware of this as I posted that information and what she told me in the Google Hangout where this was discussed. So while I can understand your point of view, in this case I feel like an accident happened, for which we got an explanation and I felt that it should be shared here to point out that there is always two sides to every story.
https://i.imgsafe.org/a670ef2320.png

This is of course unfortunate, not ideal and you're right, it probably should be avoided for next releases. But under these unforeseen circumstances I find that the issue getting resolved just 1 hour and 30 minutes after the release (to be more precise) remains acceptable, for me at least, anyone is welcome to disagree. Especially since we're not speaking about longer delays, nor about the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time that we see this happening since the situation originally described improved.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by vince1612
Traveling_Gav wrote:'I don't think it is acceptable for Waze HQ to simply ignore global issues such as water layer, long distance navigation and tunnel navigation, for example.
You say you've been told that they ignore them, that is hardly proof that they do.
There are beta channels and Champs channels where staff replies to those issues, maybe the issue isn't with HQ but with communication with your Champs who have access to these things and leave you to think staff simply ignore them.

I'll skip the water problem with IFS because living in a mountainous country I haven't followed it. However, long distance navigation is something they are actively trying to solve, even currently testing solutions with beta leaders. Regarding tunnels I lost count of how many times they responded about the tunnel issue by giving their reply that they think the solution is Waze beacons, which many disagree with staff about but that is a different matter, they did not ignore us and gave a reply none the less, even if it's not a popular one.

Granted HQ not fixing certain issues faster or deciding they will not use a feature editors worked on is frustrating, but if they are working on fixing one of them and did give an answer about the second which I'm suprised you never heard about, that hardly fits the definition of ignoring.

If communication was not working and that HQ did ignore us I wouldn't have been able to answer you as I did and neither would the other people above. We'd have told you we don't know what's going on either... So I disagree that it's a problem with HQ, that's an understandable viewpoint from your perspective but what I see is that you're not being properly informed and don't have the full picture that would allow you to make some of the statements you keep making above.*

I would also suggest that you ask your Champs about joining the beta programs either with the client or WME teams if you want to see improvements, that's the only way you'll have access to some information that beta testers or Champs cannot share publicly.

*As a sidenote, I was a bit surprised to read your latest post because I had contacted you via PM (which you read but never answered) to let you know about those things privately already... Despite that here you make another public statement about HQ ignoring the community when you had information indicating the contrary. If you're fighting against people ignoring others, why do it yourself? :|
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message