When did Waze first become USEFUL?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: When did Waze first become USEFUL?

Postby TravUK » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 pm

- When did you first notice another Wazer on YOUR stretch of road?

Just this past week.

- When did you first get a traffic report for a stretch of road you were planning on travelling down?

The same day, heavy traffic on the main A road I use.

- Have you actually ever been re-routed because of a traffic report someone else generated?

No, not yet. Here's hoping that one day I avoid the jam instead of sitting in it and then hearing about it on the radio!

- Have you actually tried to use Waze to route you somewhere other than your normal commute, and have it work?

I've routed to towns, but not to full addresses yet.
Area Manager - Bristol & Portishead, UK
TravUK

Postby Alty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 pm

- When did you first notice another Wazer on YOUR stretch of road?
I haven't yet, but I saw them in cities when driving up the M1 a couple of months ago

- When did you first get a traffic report for a stretch of road you were planning on travelling down?
Not yet :(

- Have you actually ever been re-routed because of a traffic report someone else generated?
Nope
- Have you actually tried to use Waze to route you somewhere other than your normal commute, and have it work?
Yes! I never use Waze on my commute, since it's a relatively short route (8 miles; but it takes 45 minutes, stupid city centre traffic) but I have used it at random times while primarily doing a Waze new road drive if I get a little lost and see if it can get me somewhere, and it's worked.

One thing I wish it could do is use Google's lookup to find a place through long/lat, plant a marker to that place on your GPS and then you could drive there with just the arrow or something (kinda like GTA before GTA4 did, this way I can navigate there while plotting my own route on the roads; we'd get much more mapping done this way.)
• phone: motorola milestone - android 2.1 • waze: 1.8.99.103 • car: renault megane •
Alty

Postby timmyjoe42 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 am

I've only been using Waze for a week+ and think it's been pretty amazing for turn by turn navigation. I pretty much put in my destination and navigate to it every time I get in the car to help out as much as I can. :) It's pretty much been useful in that regards from day 1. I haven't needed the traffic info yet.

The other day, I saw a wazer about half a mile from me, but it was too hard to ping them or whatever while driving. ;) I'll get better/ faster with the interface as I use it more.
Area: Cincinnati, OH
Phone: Android 1.5 - Motorola Cliq
timmyjoe42

Postby JAMBRAM » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:59 pm

1st - Have seen other, but just yesterday managed to pass someone travelling in the opp. direction.
2nd - Never
3rd - Never
4th - Yes, quite often. I always verify the route with GoogleMaps on my phone. If i am going to Business XYZ, i enter it a a google local search and generally get decent directions or at least pointed in the right direction.
JAMBRAM/VOLWAZER
Waze 2.0.0.0
Samsung Omnia i910
WinMo 6.1, Stock Rom
2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab
Memphis, Tennessee
JAMBRAM

Postby Sidewalk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:09 am

zzyzxuk wrote:- When did you first notice another Wazer on YOUR stretch of road?

1. Not sure, but a long time ago. Waze seems to be pretty busy in Socal.
2. Probably the first time I used Waze :)
3. Never been rerouted. I think that even wen traffic does hit, the alternatives will still take longer.
4. Yes, all the time. Especially since I ride a motorcycle with headphones, I use Waze to guide me through my headphones to where I need to go.
DroidX
Sidewalk

Postby Alty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Saw a couple of Wazers on my drive from Blackburn to Manchester. Happy times!
• phone: motorola milestone - android 2.1 • waze: 1.8.99.103 • car: renault megane •
Alty

Postby zzyzxuk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:25 am

OK - last night, for the first time, I got told that my journey would be longer due to reported traffic.

What it didn't do however is give me any clue about where that traffic was....

Because we only have a small percentage of London roads mapped at the moment, if I'd known where it was, I might have been able to calculate my own "reroute" around it. (I don't think Waze knows the roads well enough just yet to trust that there really wasn't a way around it.)

So a suggestion: If there -is- traffic ahead, could it show you where it is?

Second suggestion, which isn't a software thing... Someone put out an alert last night for "Event On". But I couldn't see where they were. I -guessed- that it might have been the footie, so when choosing a route, I avoided the football ground by a wide berth, but now I'm kind of curious which event it was, and if I made the right choice. :)
zzyzxuk

Postby macneo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm

- I've seen the first wazer close enough last January, we almost met at a crossroad. I have yet to see/recognize a wazer "in real live".
- Probably around December.
- Never re-routed yet, but it changed the ETA.
- I've tried thinking "ok Waze, i want to trust you today"… and it managed to make me cut my home-office route from 50 minutes to 35-40 :)
macneo
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General