Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Briedijs
OMG that's crazy! :( This means other countries can dovthe same! :( Sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Briedijs
Send a message
AM Riga, Valmiera, Mazsalaca /Latvia/
Waze for iPhone, 3.2.2.0

Post by Brshk1
And why completely wipe out the speed cam alert functionality? I remember some commercial solutions that implemented a panic button for countries where speedcam alerts are illegal. If you press it, it deletes the speed cam database, so you cannot be held liable for using such system.

For the adventurous French wazers and visitors, it could be an option in the settings menu. Let's say that if you swipe the speedometer to the left, it disables speed cam alerts until a special code is used.
Brshk1
Send a message
CM Spain & GC|| Xiaomi Mi A1 / 9.0 stock || Waze: latest

(Beti berandu!!!).

Post by Brshk1
Hey men! I didn't expect to be so controversial. You all are right, but I wanted to highlight other alternatives. If we go to the latest consequences, a court could rule all smartphones illegal based on the fact that they can potentially run illegal software and that would be the end of the story.

Besides that, the likelihood of Waze implementing such special options is very low, in my opinion. They still have a long way to walk towards UI and functionality customisation.
Brshk1
Send a message

(Beti berandu!!!).

Post by Brshk1
dmcconachie wrote:
Rokcet wrote:So when you get stopped by the cops, and you want to be sure you won't get any problems, you better chuck your smartphone out the window real fast...!
So your interpretation is that it's illegal to carry a smartphone in your car? Pretty sure any self-respecting lawyer could get that thrown out as a breach of basic human rights.
Not to mention human's ability to remember things. If you already know where the speed cams are located... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brshk1
Send a message

(Beti berandu!!!).

Post by DangerDaneDK
Here in DK any device allows you to see speedtraps, ie GPS's with POI's for speed traps, LADAR detector etc are allowed as they are in fact not fool proof and often will either give you a false positive, or would only alert you after you had in fact been tagged by the police.

The only device that is banned & illegal here is the LADAR jammer, which is a small device fitted to the front of the grill of your car and basically works by absorbing the LADAR beam, and either A: letting the cop see there is car but is unable to get a reading for the small one, or B: completely blanking out the LADAR meaning that their speed guns won't even get a lock for the bigger one.

Obviously if you ran into a cop with speed gun and he got either of those 2 results you can be pretty damned sure he would pull you over and give your car a thorough inspection leaving you stranded at the side of the road with your car in pieces.
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Flemming J., Denmark
Area Manager: Region of Southern Denmark / Region Syddanmark
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9+ SM-G965F, Android 8.0 Waze: Newest

https://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3s.png

Post by dmcconachie
Rokcet wrote:So when you get stopped by the cops, and you want to be sure you won't get any problems, you better chuck your smartphone out the window real fast...!
So your interpretation is that it's illegal to carry a smartphone in your car? Pretty sure any self-respecting lawyer could get that thrown out as a breach of basic human rights.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Rokcet wrote:Sure, after you were arrested, spent time in jail pre-trial, spent 5 years going through several trials, and spent a fortune on your defense. Who can afford that? Who has enough stamina for that?Who can withstand the pressure?
That whole sequence is the threat!
There is zero chance of that. All it would take is for one trucker to get arrested for having a smartphone in his cab and the whole country would grind to a halt!

This law will be aimed at the likes of RoadAngel. The burden of proof will lie with the Police and no way will they want to bother investigating every mobile phone sighting.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
argus-cronos wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:This law will be aimed at the likes of RoadAngel. The burden of proof will lie with the Police and no way will they want to bother investigating every mobile phone sighting.
+1
But it's definitely not allowed in Germany and CH to show or detect any type of speedcams on any device.
Argument remains, are the police going to bother trying to prove it? Do they have power to confiscate or even search mobile phones? Unlikely I'd have said.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Rokcet wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Do they [the cops] have power to confiscate or even search mobile phones? Unlikely I'd have said.
Yes they have those powers – in all countries – if they have 'reasonable suspicion' that laws are broken and/or that there are connections to crime. That's what police are for. That's what we, society, expect of them. It's also, at the same time, a very arbitrary – 'multi-interpretable' – argument that can easily be abused. And IRL very often IS!
I think you over-estimate their powers but this is sliding off-topic. If you believe they have those powers and that drive to follow through a tenuous law then you should probably give up waze irrespective of whether or not they can disable the cameras in France.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
And then there's the new system being developed by BAE that uses normal radio signals for positioning in similar way to planes. It'll work underground too :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message