Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by fvwazing
Rokcet wrote: So now we wait for some idiot to duct tape his device, with Waze running, to his OUTSIDE rearview mirror believing this law does not apply to him. :mrgreen:
Would help for the coolingproblems as well! But what asterix proposes - disabling the speedcamfunctionality from the SERVER side - seems legal to me. You take Waze over the border and - poof!, speedcams gone, nothing you can do. Would hold in court.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Brshk1 wrote: For the adventurous French wazers and visitors, it could be an option in the settings menu. Let's say that if you swipe the speedometer to the left, it disables speed cam alerts until a special code is used.
...which makes it very hard to argue in court that Waze is harmless.

Again, all this is speculation since Waze did not see the inside of a courtroom anywhere that I am aware of.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gordonski
maantje76 wrote:Officially this isn't only in France. In Germany this is allready for years! Same for Belgium! But less people now this...
I'm not 100% sure but I think only devices that detect speed traps on their own (e.g. radar-detectors) or prohibited in cars. In Waze users only inform other users about speed traps. From a certain perspective this is what radio stations do as well: people call in to report speed controls and the stations broadcast that information to anyone who cares. This is not illegal in Germany, so maybe Waze still has a chance.

Otherwise the speed trap functionality must be removed from the app and we're fine again...

I doubt that smartphones will be declared illegal just because you could install illegal software on them. They did not prohibit personal computers and there's tons of illegal software that can be installed on these. They did not prohibit the internet which is a primary source for illegal software. If they want to ban Waze, first step would be to have it removed from the major app-stores.

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by gordonski
Here's an excerpt from the German law:
StVO §23 (1b) wrote:Dem Führer eines Kraftfahrzeuges ist es untersagt, ein technisches Gerät zu betreiben oder betriebsbereit mitzuführen, das dafür bestimmt ist, Verkehrsüberwachungsmaßnahmen anzuzeigen oder zu stören. Das gilt insbesondere für Geräte zur Störung oder Anzeige von Geschwindigkeitsmessungen (Radarwarn- oder Laserstörgeräte).

Quick and dirty translation by gordonski:
The driver of a vehicle is not allowed to operate or carry on board a technical device which is destined to indicate or disturb traffic surveillance measures. This applies particularly to devices for disturbing or indicating speed measuring (radarwarning or laserjamming devices).
Sounds rather clear. The only discussion could be about the point whether a smartphones running Waze is "destined to" show speed traps, since the primary purpose of the app is a different one... :roll:

So better have Waze turned off when getting stopped by the police.

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by jasonh300
Wouldn't it be easier to just disable speed cameras within France's polygon in the editor?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jokizwo
gordonski wrote:Here's an excerpt from the German law:
StVO §23 (1b) wrote:Dem Führer eines Kraftfahrzeuges ist es untersagt, ein technisches Gerät zu betreiben oder betriebsbereit mitzuführen, das dafür bestimmt ist, Verkehrsüberwachungsmaßnahmen anzuzeigen oder zu stören. Das gilt insbesondere für Geräte zur Störung oder Anzeige von Geschwindigkeitsmessungen (Radarwarn- oder Laserstörgeräte).

Quick and dirty translation by gordonski:
The driver of a vehicle is not allowed to operate or carry on board a technical device which is destined to indicate or disturb traffic surveillance measures. This applies particularly to devices for disturbing or indicating speed measuring (radarwarning or laserjamming devices).
Sounds rather clear. The only discussion could be about the point whether a smartphones running Waze is "destined to" show speed traps, since the primary purpose of the app is a different one... :roll:

So better have Waze turned off when getting stopped by the police.

Gordonski
In Germany this means devices that technically recognize or disturb laser ... In the radio they also tell you where people have seen speed traps. So otherwise radio would be illegal too ;)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One S mit Tapatalk 2
jokizwo
Send a message
waze pioneer

Post by maantje76
Officially this isn't only in France. In Germany this is allready for years! Same for Belgium! But less people now this...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
Brshk1 wrote:And why completely wipe out the speed cam alert functionality? I remember some commercial solutions that implemented a panic button for countries where speedcam alerts are illegal. If you press it, it deletes the speed cam database, so you cannot be held liable for using such system.

For the adventurous French wazers and visitors, it could be an option in the settings menu. Let's say that if you swipe the speedometer to the left, it disables speed cam alerts until a special code is used.
I don't think Waze is going to implement an illegal function to mislead the law. To use Waze in such countries is at own risk. Waze can't forbid users to do. So Waze is not doing something illegal.

But are there allready examples of people driving with Waze that are catched? I drive also a lot of times in those countries, but I haven't. Just switch off the phone. To switch it on, they have to know a password. They can't expect you to tell that! If you have a Tom Tom or simular stupid device it's simple, but for mobile devices it's hard for them...and...not allowed to have in your car...You think they gonna search your whole car to be shure you don't have an navigation device somewhere in your car, with speedcam info on it?!

Those alcohol test is a a typical case of motorist pests. Really really stupid Frenchmen (sorry guys, not all of you offcourse). But we don't have to discuss about that ;)

Let them give you a ticket. It's about the same amount as a set of testers in The Netherlands ;)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
@gordonski

Try a few google searches.
I'll tried an english search, in dutch there are lots of sources...

http://www.car4play.com/forum/post/?t=1965

It's also forbidden in Switserland and Austria...allready a long time. But this is never as well communicated as in France...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
The dutch ADAC is very clear it's not allowed. But they can also be wrong ;-)

In the netherlands it's not a problem. At least something we can be proud off ;)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message