Mobile data usage

Post by tony20101952
Hi.

I wonder if anyone can answer this in simple terms.

For those of us with limited data usage on mobile phones (ie Pay As You Go) - does Waze work as a stand alone app for ts GPS positioning or does it use 'data' similar to a phone when on the internet?

Cheers

Tony
tony20101952

POSTER_ID:17538304

Send a message

Post by georgenqueiroz
I'm an Android user and I use Waze everyday. In my case, the app uses 125 MB per month in average.
georgenqueiroz
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
George Queiroz

Post by georgenqueiroz
meshNinja wrote:Did a 3 hour Drive New area but trip loaded with wifi and Still Consumed 1.8gb is this normal?
Are you able to check data consumption per each app? Waze is not supposed to consume so much data.
georgenqueiroz
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
George Queiroz

Post by JamesLPywell
I regularly use the app with my data turned off but it only works for existing routes I've been on. It 'waits for network' if you deviate but generally, the app doesn't use too much data in my experience.
JamesLPywell
Send a message

Post by karlmf1
tony20101952 wrote:Hi.

I wonder if anyone can answer this in simple terms.

For those of us with limited data usage on mobile phones (ie Pay As You Go) - does Waze work as a stand alone app for ts GPS positioning or does it use 'data' similar to a phone when on the internet?

Cheers

Tony
Maybe this will help you.

https://mashtips.com/setup-standalone-waze-gps/amp/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
karlmf1
Send a message

Post by matsalka
JamesLPywell wrote:I regularly use the app with my data turned off but it only works for existing routes I've been on. It 'waits for network' if you deviate but generally, the app doesn't use too much data in my experience.
Most data is downloaded if you explore new areas, which means new map tiles need to be downloaded. If you have a new longer journey coming, you could just pre-calculate the route in Wi-Fi and then drive the route with mobile data. This way you'll only need to download real-time traffic data, which is really small in size.
matsalka
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

CM & Coordinator of Estonia | Eesti keelne Wiki | Facebook: Waze Eesti

Post by meshNinja
Did a 3 hour Drive New area but trip loaded with wifi and Still Consumed 1.8gb is this normal?
meshNinja
Send a message

Post by vince1612
I can only share my own experience with iPhone 6S Plus and Waze, it may be different for others.

Under the iPhone's Settings > Mobile Data you can see how much data each App you have installed has been using, the stats keep accumulating until you reset them. (the last reset date is all the way at the bottom)

My last mobile data statistics reset date
2 years ago
https://s10.postimg.org/cpky5oq09/asset.jpg

How much mobile data has Waze been using on my phone in the last 2 years
2.4Gb (or ~1.2Gb per year)
https://s10.postimg.org/9zg7mlt3d/asset_1.jpg

Let's do some math
2.4Gb = 2400Mb
2 years = 730 days
2400 / 730 = ~3.3 (Waze used 3.3Mb of data per day)
3.3 * 30 days = 99 (Waze used 99Mb of data per month)

Additional notes
  • This mobile data was used by making an almost religious usage of the App: There isn't a single drive I take without first starting the App in navigation mode, even for short trips.
  • 95% of the time it was used in the same 2268 km² (876 quare miles) area where I live, commute to work and/or visit friends and family. The other 5% were few occasions for longer trips in Europe or a two weeks long trip around Iceland.
So let's imagine I had Verizon's smallest data plan that I could find on their website: 2Gb (2000Mb) allowed/included per month, Waze would take about 100Mb, leaving me with 1.9Gb (1900Mb) that I can use for other Apps.
About pay-as-you-go plans then it all depends on how much data you get and how long you can use it for.. If it's those 5$ for 500Mb for 24h deals, then you might end up paying way too much with a daily use as Waze would only be using a small fraction and you'd lose the rest at the end of the day. However if the 500Mb stay usable for 30 days, then you should be safe as based on my experience Waze would only use about 1/5 of that data.

Again those estimates are just based on my personal experience of mobile data usage over the last two years while making an intensive use of Waze almost every day.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png