Waze.com Update Map Issues

Post by rlen
I'm trying to add the map... but I'm getting the following issues.

Adding to Map
No Permission to add a road, to add a street name, to add a city...

General Map issues
Update map is very slow to update (This isn't my internet connection, going via a Goverment Backbone! 200MB!)
Very poor aerial maps (Why don't you overlap using google maps?)
rlen

POSTER_ID:192382

Send a message

Post by Lemon
naesstrom wrote:
rlen wrote: General Map issues
Update map is very slow to update (This isn't my internet connection, going via a Goverment Backbone! 200MB!)
And I won't even start on the Aerials... I never seen any in my area but I manage pretty well...
I used to worry about not having aerial images but then found the amazing gps tracks and 'color by azimuth'... Going back to aerial maps just isn't worth it after finding this feature. Plus i think that when you dont have to load aerial images Cartouche doesn't seem so slow.
Lemon
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c2/T ... ogo_sm.JPG
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager

Post by naesstrom
rlen wrote: General Map issues
*Sighs* I'm actually happy you'r not a area manager to be honest... You get a really cool software for free... without paying a cent, yen or rubel for it... and you only whine, Waze is a community driven application... that means that it isn't a "finished" product like tomtom or any other gps software out there!

Start reading up on the FAQ's and the wiki, so you know what you'r doing!

Oh and with the slow updating thingy, Cool that you'r using some governments money to edit waze maps... but I don't think it's your connection either since I'm using a 8mb/s ADSL line, I'm area manager for 2 towns, have made roughly 3000 map updates since January when I started wazing and for some reason I'm not having any problems! What browser are you using?

And I won't even start on the Aerials... I never seen any in my area but I manage pretty well... and no, Waze are going to sell the realtime info. to other companies so using anything like Google or OSM wouldn't work... this can be found in both the wiki and in multiple threads in the forum. If you had bothered to read some more before making the post!
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by naesstrom
rlen wrote:@naesstrom: Yep using Government Connection in my dinner time to update the map for the community, what a weak thing to attack someone over...

All this rubbish about.. read the wiki anon... this sort of empty post is what stops people from partaking in the community... If the point is made once fine... over and over... who becomes the whiner...
Ok it wasn't ment as a attack... I really think it's cool that waze has spread from the average IT nerd (yeah it's kind of nerdy :D ) even into government... but if you feel it's an attack I appologise!

and why in gods name do you think it's a empty answer to read the wiki... it's futile to try and repost everything that's written there already here in the forum just so you or anyone else don't need to press 2 extra links!

Just the map editing part contains the following topics:
Editing your route on the map
Editing Manual
Cartouche - Update map
How to fix scan problems (problems 1-31)
How to fix merger problems (problems 51-60)
How to label and name roads
Known issues with Cartouche
Cartouche Changelog
and each of them multiple pages on the different topics! why should I need to post all that information here in the forum when it's clearly written in there... even with pictures in some cases!

well, back to order... Have you tried the new Cartocuhe version 1.2, it's actually much faster even on my 8Mb line... you can read the other changes here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Cartouche_Changelog

btw, the Map editing part of the forum have 601 different topics at the moment so most things are probably answered there to if it's not in the wiki :D

Oh and about helping the n00bs... I've never said I'm 1337 in anyway... I do my best to try and help on any questions... Check some of my other posts and see! ;)
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
rlen wrote:I'm trying to add the map... but I'm getting the following issues.

Adding to Map
No Permission to add a road, to add a street name, to add a city...

General Map issues
Request to be an Area Manager

Which part of updating the map, changes reflected on the client/live map or just plain editing. Using Google Maps violates terms of use and would not follow Waze's plans for the future (from my understanding).
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
You don't have to be an area manager, but it would help to read the faq and the wiki.

To prevent malicious editing, a non area manager user can only edit around the areas the server has seen you drive (based off the routes the server has analyzed). That way you have at least proven that you are in the area you wish to edit.

You only need to ask to become an area manager to remove this restriction.

Just wait for the server to analyze your driving routes, and after they show up on the dashboard or the archive panel in cartouche, you should be able to edit around those routes.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by rlen
I need to become an area manager! I'm registered and logged in... now I need to be an area manager to update the map... Oh well, i'll leave it and leech of the community far to much effort just to add streetnames and join roads up.

Why is the map update really slow... this is going to put people off...
rlen
Send a message

Post by rlen
@naesstrom: Yep using Government Connection in my dinner time to update the map for the community, what a weak thing to attack someone over...

All this rubbish about.. read the wiki anon... this sort of empty post is what stops people from partaking in the community... If the point is made once fine... over and over... who becomes the whiner...

@Lemon: Thanks for your constructive feedback... Good to know that people are willing to provide help to n00bs :)
rlen
Send a message