Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by stevecody
Lately the updates have been happening about every 2 days. Nobody has to approve your changes.

This is one of the main reasons I like to edit the maps. I get tired of incorrect routing for my frequently travelled routes. This is what makes Waze so awesome.
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by stuartdole
Pretty much like everyone else has said - to help the community. Also, I just like to fix things.

Last couple of days the editable map has been down (version upgrade? Amazon cloud crash?) so I haven't been able to chip in some real zingers I ran across.

BTW - anyone have a link to a discussion on how to deal with parking lots, shopping centers, and such? I notice Waze is very reluctant to allow the car icon to leave a road and enter a parking lot - does the parking lot need to connect to the street? Have a "parking lot road" added?

Also - I need to refresh myself on how to add blocked roads (permanent with a gate, or temporary due to fire, police action, flooding)... And how to re-route around a blocked road or area?
stuartdole
Send a message

Post by Teneflip
mattlach wrote:A little bit of a perfectionist here.

When things aren't right, it bothers me, so I fix them.
Same as me :)
Teneflip
Send a message

Post by WarChi1d
I edit because my wife and I use Waze and depend on it so I like to know the areas that I manage are accurate.
WarChi1d
Send a message
https://cdn.picbadges.com/pb/ac2ad26d4a ... png.82.png https://codycrew.net/images/Waze-AM.png
South West Colorado & Central Florida Manager
Sprint GSVI Running Android 5.0.2

Post by WeeeZer14
I'm a bit of a cartography geek and a I'm a computer engineer doing programming, network engineering, and project management for my "real job". In the end, editing maps isn't much different I guess -- I'm still using computers to get remote end points to connect in efficient ways while dealing with release schedules and bugs :lol:

Although I don't have a daily commute for work anymore, I love to drive and I still manage around 15,000 miles per year on the road even without a daily commute. (My wife has to travel for work so I usually go with her which means at least one week a month on the road.)

I grew up in NYC, Central Jersey, and North Jersey -- areas well known for traffic and poor signs. Since I still go back there a few times a year, I have a selfish desire for routing to work correctly :)

I may not be able to cure cancer or create world peace, but if I can make people's time on the road a little less stressful, I feel that I have helped people.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by wifiwi
LOL this is an interesting question. I don't have an answer, as it's more of a journey for me. I started out reporting map issues not knowing I could fix them myself. Of course, I'd prefer to be lazy and let someone else fix them, but I learned how and they are easy to fix.

I hate wrong answers. I'd rather hear "I don't know" than to hear or see a wrong, or worse (i.e stupid) answer. So, I've been poking about fixing things I know are wrong or missing. Detail is important. Missing detail is annoying. I can be O-C sometimes.

However, the rules for editing, need to change or the frustration is not worth my time. There was a beautiful map fix someone did for a problem I saw, but someone else undid the fix. I fixed the error myself then, and that was undone too. WTF!? is my usual exclamation when I drive by and see the failed map display.

PLEASE PLEASE come up with a more authoritative way to validate changes by wazers "at large". Establish community leaders. Let them help validate changes. Measure who drives by these points every day. Grant authority by local experience and technical authority.

Oh, and one more thing, keep up the great job! Even when we sometimes become despondent, we know tomorrow is another day and we'd rather see the world a little better place. Thanks.
wifiwi
Send a message

Post by youncs
For the glory.
youncs
Send a message
iPhone 4 / iOS6 *I dont' navigate very often, but when I do, I use Apple Maps . . .

Post by zCougar
When I read these posts I couldn't agree more. All the same reasons plus I have started with map editing when in Estonia there was few streets in the capital and almost no roads outside. Now I guess the capital is 99% mapped. All other big cities are also going better every day. Major highways are mapped, a lot of minor roads as well. And the user base has grown thousands times mostly because of the hard work of map editors. It gives just a good feeling if you can make world a better place to live :-)

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Waze 4.83.5.1: Galaxy S21 5G | | Atom
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis