Post by GizmoGuy411
Finally found the story I mentioned before by NPR's Mark Garrison of "Marketplace", with the interview of Michal Habdank-Kolaczkowski from Waze.
Mark Garrison: Today is Michal Habdank-Kolaczkowski’s birthday. He wasn’t expecting a gift from Tim Cook. Habdank works for Waze, one of the navigation apps Cook recommended. And thanks to Cook’s big apology:

Michal Habdank-Kolaczkowski: It’s gonna be a record-breaking day for us. No question about that.

Waze, and that's W-A-Z-E, already has a five-star rating in the App Store and claims 25 million global users. But a shoutout from the head of Apple, doesn’t hurt.

Habdank-Kolaczkowski: We know that people like us, but to get validated from Tim Cook, that was really cool.

Waze, MapQuest, Bing and others will likely benefit from Apple’s map mishap, says tech analyst Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies. But he’d rather see Apple restore Google’s maps.

Roger Kay: It really should not have taken away something that really worked and given users something that didn’t work. And to just say I’m sorry, you know, here, try these, I don’t think is really enough.

Kay says some customers will switch to Android phones to get Google Maps. Danny Sullivan keeps track of all this as editor of Search Engine Land. Don’t forget, he says, Google Maps was far from perfect when it came out. And it’s going to take Apple time to catch up.

Danny Sullivan: What they’re gonna have to do is just as quickly as possible to improve the mapping quality that’s out there. And unfortunately that’s not gonna be a quick process. It’s gonna take years.

Years that other map providers will spend cashing in while Apple finds its way. In New York, I'm Mark Garrison, for Marketplace.
Link to story above including the audio podcast:
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/ ... -users-way
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
gettingthere wrote:
fvwazing wrote:This week, Waze is the #1 navigation-map in the AppStore in 28 countries.
So is this going to create yet another round of Waze infrastructure issues?
Well of course. Plus a bunch of new people complaining that the maps are not perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by richardjeeves
The UK app store are listing

Waze (Free)
ForeverMap (£1.49)
Navigon Europe (£59.99)
AA Satnav UK & Ireland (£24.99)
Garmin UK & Ireland (£39.99)
Bing Get me There (Free)

Nice to see the waze at the top of the UK list and only 2 free apps on the page. :D :D
richardjeeves
Send a message

Post by robin1979
gettingthere wrote:
fvwazing wrote:This week, Waze is the #1 navigation-map in the AppStore in 28 countries.
So is this going to create yet another round of Waze infrastructure issues?
8-) :lol:
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe