Username versus Nickname - No full disclosure

Post by Apfelroth
I choose a Username (incorporating my name) for logon purposes under the assumption that others would only see the Nickname.
WRONG!! I see group memberships (and forum posts) display the Username !
I have nothing to hide, but I do strongly object to the lack of upfront clarity on this most important subject of online privacy !
Apfelroth

POSTER_ID:11103809

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
MedicNC wrote:Now that you know this, you should also know that you can change your username as well. On your dashboard just change it to what you want and click the update tab.
That option is temporally disabled on the Dashboard, but you can contact support and they can make the change for you. See this post for details: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22812
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Apfelroth wrote:That doesn't absolve any service from being clear about when a Username versus a nickname will be seen!
And that is especially so if Username changes cannot be made (without intervention of support) !
What are some of the "virtually every other service on the internet" that similarly have a Nickname in use but also show a Username in some places (that can't be changed)?
You missed the keyword "temporarily". These infrastructure upgrades are very important and have already started to show their value. If this TEMPORARY restriction is needed to protect the system during these changes, I have no complaints.

I think we should just eliminate the whole nickname thing and just use user names like most websites/apps do.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
Apfelroth wrote:And yes, I did request support to change my Username, but so far have no response.
The support staff is in Israel... Their weekend is Friday & Saturday (in the US)...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by Apfelroth
That doesn't absolve any service from being clear about when a Username versus a nickname will be seen!
And that is especially so if Username changes cannot be made (without intervention of support) !
What are some of the "virtually every other service on the internet" that similarly have a Nickname in use but also show a Username in some places (that can't be changed)?
Apfelroth
Send a message

Post by Apfelroth
Reply to dmcconachie:
If you now say-"I can't think of any site that does use a nickname so it wouldn't be my default assumption that it would be used in place of a username" - why the previous smart aleck remark about "being on par with virtually every other service on the internet" ?
And many services require use of an email as login, but then allow use of a "screen name", "handle" or "nickname" for participation.

And no, I didn't miss the word "temporarily" (supposedly, for suspension of Username changes), but currently that is of no use to subscribers.
And yes, I did request support to change my Username, but so far have no response.
Apfelroth
Send a message

Post by Apfelroth
This (!) is the answer I got from support:

Regretfully, we do not allow changing of usernames at this time, nor do we allow migration of data between accounts.

Forum posts will always display the username, as does groups.

The nickname is used when showing your info on the map to other users (when you drive or send a "ping" - to protect your privacy).

Best regards,

Yonatan
Apfelroth
Send a message

Post by christiang2001
I am confused about this as well. It seems to show my login name and ignore my nickname.
christiang2001
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
MedicNC wrote:Your Nickname is simply what is seen when someone clicks your mood. Your username is associated with everything else, from groups, to scoreboard to the forums.
Which is on a par with virtually every other service on the internet.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Apfelroth wrote:That doesn't absolve any service from being clear about when a Username versus a nickname will be seen!
I can't think of any site that does use a nickname so it wouldn't be my default assumption that it would be used in place of a username.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status