Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Tom Tom etc.

Post by hohum3001
waze is nearly useless in most parts of Sydney Australia because there's not enough users yet. But waze has wet my appetite for traffic avoidance now & I'm thinking of going & getting a tom tom as a commercial service.

Anyone got experience with tom tom in a waze poor area? Is it any good? Does waze offer stuff tom tom doesn't?

Would it be possible, if I paid some kind of subscription fee or something, for waze to integrate tom tom's data? Or is that just too complex?

iOS Apple maps sucks, but it won't forever.
hohum3001

POSTER_ID:10648652

Send a message

Post by Daknife
Start pushing it on all your friends, getting the word out is the only way to improve the service. Oh that and edit like crazy to make sure Waze knows there are alternate routes that work.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Umm due to the low user base in your area Waze may need to keep up with apple, but in most areas it's still definitely the other way around.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Yep, that and keep editing, it seems there's a magic level of road quality in an area. When the roads need a lot of fixing people try it and quit. But once the roads hit a certain threshold of usefulness, usage in an area starts climbing fast.

For example: several months ago when I first got CM status I responded to an UR in my area about a problem on a trip to Las Vegas. I pulled up LV and it was a mass of UR's, but when I pulled up the GPS tracks, once you got off the freeways going through the city the tracks practically disappeared. People were trying waze, getting bad routes, making a few UR's and then bailing. As far as I could tell there were no active editors in the metropolitan area. So I went to work, after a few weeks of spending the majority of my time working those maps, GPS tracks started appearing on more and more side roads, and then I started running across other editors working the city. Now days when I happen to look in, UR's are less common and rarely more than a couple days old, And GPS tracks are far more widely found than when I first wandered into the area.

I've seen the same or similar thing happen in the Reno/Carson City NV area as well in a few smaller cities in Utah.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
As to the map editor never having you driving. Make sure you are logging into the correct server.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Gonefishinginoz
I'm also disappointed with Waze in Sydney. I used it when living in London and it was great. But for my trips between Liverpool and Crows Nest it is useless, always taking me to congested roads without knowing it.

So I switched to MetroView, for the price it is pretty good and Tomtom Traffic info (in app subscription) helps.

I tried Waze again few times but no luck.
I then decided to contribute with editing and paving maps but then the map editor sees me as having never driven so does not allow me to edit anything. And the new update of the app on ios just doesnt le me pave...
Gonefishinginoz
Send a message

Post by Gonefishinginoz
Thanks guys connecting to the right server solved my map editing issues.

I too am still using Waze to improve it and incite other people to join. I also use Gmaps whenever needed. Now that they joined together I hope that both will benefit from each other in terms of traffic monitoring.
Gonefishinginoz
Send a message

Post by hohum3001
ncc1701v wrote:
hohum3001 wrote:iOS Apple maps sucks, but it won't forever.
You think so, do you? :-)
They couldn't possibly continue to suck so hard could they? :shock:
hohum3001
Send a message

Post by hohum3001
Today waze sucked for me. No help at all, & lots of traffic stuck everywhere. Need more wazers :| Apple Maps was more useful. My wife tells me it uses tom tom data. At least waze would be happy to know that our Roads & Traffic Authority's app was less useful than tits on a bull.
hohum3001
Send a message

Post by hohum3001
daknife wrote:Start pushing it on all your friends, getting the word out is the only way to improve the service. Oh that and edit like crazy to make sure Waze knows there are alternate routes that work.
Yeah, I push it hard already but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference - for the last week or so there were practically no wazers on the major Sydney routes I was on. There's 5 million people in this city; if you picked it up and up put it in America it'd be like the 11th largest city or something (or so I've heard). We're not that small. But waze just hasn't caught on here.

Yesterday I actually forgot to turn waze on. I'm sold on the idea & I'm a 100% fanatic. And I forgot. Knowing myself well eventually I will stop using it altogether & it'll just be one of life's disappointments. And the reason will be that while I believed in it, and wanted to support it, @ the end of the day it just didn't have enough users to make it work.

A very wize friend of mine once told me to never bring a problem without also bringing a solution. So what I'd say is then is this: given I'm willing to pay for Tom Tom data that I can get via Apple Maps for free, then if waze licensed that data - or maybe data from several sources - to keep up with Apple Maps at the very least - then waze might be more useful - and I'd pay a subscription for that. Or waze needs to find another way to distinguish itself. Nobody ever chats in Sydney - how can you chat & drive? So the social networking part isn't working quite so well here. What else can waze do that nobody else does? Petrol prices - that's a good one - though not really applicable here in Aus. Police is good, but heck I can't report that while I'm driving! Deals? Combine with groupon or something for discount vouchers? "You're passing McDonalds - quote voucher XYZ for a free Little Mac"? I dunno. I suppose that with 20 million users you're not that worried about little old Sydney.

btw - the tom tom data via Apple Maps also sucked a few times. So it seems that I'm just stuck.
hohum3001
Send a message