Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by gettingthere
OldGnome wrote:
xyes wrote:isn't BB version already available even though it's not even 5% of the market?
From what I have read around here, I don't think Waze is continuing to develop for the BB platform.
That is correct, the only active platforms that Waze is developing for is Android and iOS. The legacy 2.x Waze clients are still available for download for Windows Mobile, BlackBerry and Symbian. Obviously the legacy clients are limited in features vs. the current client.

Waze did a re-write of the application to be native to both Android and iOS with version 3. The legacy versions of Waze were written on a common platform and ported to each OS.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Froggypwns wrote:Right from Microsoft. They sold 40 million licences in the first month alone.
You are mixing the data with Windows 8 Operating systems for Personal Computers. Microsoft does not sell Windows 8 SmartPhone operating systems. They are provided to their OEM partners such as Nokia, Samsung, HTC, etc. to install on their SmartPhones.

This thread is discussing a version of Waze specifically for Windows Phone 8.

It has not been a target market of Waze to have versions of the application for Desktop and Laptop computers. In addition, the Microsoft Surface Tablet which runs Windows RT (a version of Windows 8 for ARM processors that does not run Windows Applications) could in theory run a Waze Windows 8 Store Apps (previously called Metro Apps). But the Surface hardware doesn't have a GPS so that would be of little use.

Unfortunately Microsoft is confusing the heck out of consumers by calling multiple versions of their OS, designed specifically for different hardware types, Windows 8.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Arfy wrote:
xyes wrote:is >4mil high enough yet?
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/1 ... pectations
And this is only for Nokia !
That could be the number that have shipped into the channel vs. the number in the hands of the end-users.

I have seen a total of 1 Windows Phone device in the hands of a user, ever. This was a consultant for a Microsoft Business Partner. Yes, this is not a scientific study but I am just not seeing these phones in peoples hands.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Well it seems that it is official. Quite a surprise.

Waze is recruiting beta testers: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=47821
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jeffro02
I too doubt Waze will consider developing for WP8 until the market share is higher. Tough to warrant throwing money at a tiny market. That being said, I really hope a Waze client is developed soon! It is one of the few things I miss on my Lumia 920 from my old iPhone, though not enough to switch back. The tethering is one option, but carting two phones and enabling the tethering every time I drive is just too much extra hassle. Oh well, Nokia Drive is just as good at navigating but I miss reporting traffic!
jeffro02
Send a message

Post by mepaulrye
Has anyone been already accepted in to the beta team? Im tlaking about WP users.
mepaulrye
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by michail71
I upgraded to the Nokia Lumia 920 also. Great phone.

If Waze isn't going to support WP8 I may switch over to the Garmin app or Nokia Drive.

* Edit *

I just tried Garmin StreetPilot and it's rather terrible. They do have the more expensive version but I'm not sure about paying that price on unknown quality.

It looks like Nokia Drive is the only descent nav app on WP8 but it falls short.
michail71
Send a message

Post by minivini
Was unsure whether to start a new thread, or add here.
Just want to add another request/plea for Waze on WP8. About to switch from iPhone 4 to Lumia 920 and this is also one of my big ones. I figure the more of us post, the more we show a rice interest which will hopefully get the ball rolling faster. I've used Nokia Drive and it's ok for very basic Nav, but it's not intuitive and it lacks the lie traffic etc that we've all grown accustomed to with Waze

Please Waze team - WP8? Give us an official update?? Throw us a bone?? Is this a non-starter or something that is being actively pursued?
minivini
Send a message

Post by mo0sic
Awesome!! Zero apps missing on windows phone for me. Waze was the only app I was missing.
mo0sic
Send a message

Post by Narse77
I am about to switch from a iPhone 5 to a Nokia Lumia 920. I really really hope you guys release a app!!
Narse77
Send a message