Can't seem to teach Waze a preferred route

Post by Carcharadon928
I have been consistently driving to work using one route then returning home via a different route, because using the same route going home means battling a major traffic hassle. So, for about three weeks I have been taking my preferred route home, yet Waze always wants to send me into the traffic nightmare. The latter is mostly highway, the former (that I want Waze to learn) is expressway. I am set to Nav via fastest route, minimize turns is on and avoid highways is off.

How long does it take to figure out that I prefer the route that I take home in the evenings?

Does the fact that I ask Waze to route me home prevent it from learning my preferred route? IOW, does it not learn while guiding me along a route?

Thanks...
Carcharadon928

POSTER_ID:10991194

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Also, Waze doesn't learn routes, it learns your frequent destinations... Waze also learns about the segments you drive on, average speed (in 10-15 minute increments), time to make certain turns (at certain times of day).

The big thing to do is to make sure there aren't any errors on your preferred route (a mis-typed road, a "turn" straight through an intersection that isn't allowed on the map, etc)...

As mentioned above, someone has to drive through the traffic nightmare a few times to teach Waze that the traffic at that time of day is very, very slow...

The other thing to remember, is that sometimes going through the traffic jam is still faster than going around it...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
BrewingAle wrote:I have the same problem, but I think that it's because I'm the only Wazer using the faster route. I never see any other avatars on the map as I go that way. The route is much faster than the route Waze tries to send me on. (In fact, Silicon Sally is rather insistent about trying to get me back to the jammed up 101 freeway!) But since there isn't a mob of Wazers using this particular route, the system doesn't get enough data to indicate that it's a faster route.
You should also check the faster route for errors on the map...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by brewingale
I have the same problem, but I think that it's because I'm the only Wazer using the faster route. I never see any other avatars on the map as I go that way. The route is much faster than the route Waze tries to send me on. (In fact, Silicon Sally is rather insistent about trying to get me back to the jammed up 101 freeway!) But since there isn't a mob of Wazers using this particular route, the system doesn't get enough data to indicate that it's a faster route.
brewingale
Send a message

Post by Carcharadon928
I did take the slower route many times. The irony is, it's not a LOT slower. BTW I always see half a dozen to a dozen "traffic jam" reports when I go that route, and the other side is clear so I know it's Wazers going the same way. Thing is, I drive a manual transmission car and I much prefer to stop for a while at a few of the lights on the expressway than to stop every 20 feet on the freeway. :evil:

For those in Silicon Valley, FWIW, I work near Lockheed and the two routes are 237->85->9 to Boulder Creek vs. Lawrence->Saratoga->9. The latter is preferred and saves anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on how many lights I get stopped at. 8-)
Carcharadon928
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
If there aren't (m)any other wazers in your area I'm afraid you'll have to take one for the team and spend some time in the traffic to teach waze that those routes flare up at peak times! The downside of being a waze pioneer in your area!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
yippeekyaa wrote:I have serious doubts that waze ever really "learns" a preferred route. For over 6 months I took the same route home every day. The route I took was 27 miles and 55 minutes SHORTER than the one waze always directed me to. That's what got me started in editing. The route I took was examined forensically and everything on it was correct. It still to this day tries to take me on the much longer route no matter what settings I use in the app. When i see mention of waze learning a preferred route I laugh.
Have you travelled the alternative? As I mentioned above, waze has to learn the route it thinks is faster is actually not!

And best forget about waze learning routes. At best it doesn't work the way you'd expect!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
yippeekyaa wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Have you travelled the alternative? As I mentioned above, waze has to learn the route it thinks is faster is actually not!

And best forget about waze learning routes. At best it doesn't work the way you'd expect!

via Tapatalk
No I didn't travel the alternative. Didn't make any sense to add 55 minutes to a 25 minute ride home.
Fair enough, but if Waze currently thinks the alternative only takes 24 minutes then you're destined never to be satisfied until someone bites the bullet!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
yippeekyaa wrote:I have serious doubts that waze ever really "learns" a preferred route. For over 6 months I took the same route home every day. The route I took was 27 miles and 55 minutes SHORTER than the one waze always directed me to. That's what got me started in editing. The route I took was examined forensically and everything on it was correct. It still to this day tries to take me on the much longer route no matter what settings I use in the app. When i see mention of waze learning a preferred route I laugh.
If you get a chance PM me the routes up there. I would like to take a look at it. I know Waze can get things wrong but 27 miles and 55 minutes longer sure seems like a routing issue to me.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by yippeekyaa
I have serious doubts that waze ever really "learns" a preferred route. For over 6 months I took the same route home every day. The route I took was 27 miles and 55 minutes SHORTER than the one waze always directed me to. That's what got me started in editing. The route I took was examined forensically and everything on it was correct. It still to this day tries to take me on the much longer route no matter what settings I use in the app. When i see mention of waze learning a preferred route I laugh.
yippeekyaa
Send a message