Post by Timbones
For regular commuting, the data usage is quite low.

There's also an advanced setting to compress the data.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by WeeeZer14
The first time you use the app in a new area (or the first time ever), it will need to download map data for that area. If you pan the map to look around, you will also download the data from that area.

Running the app in 3D mode uses much more data than in 2D mode since you need to see the map out towards the horizon.

That data is cached but will be replaced if/when changes are made to the map in that area.

Besides map data, your device is continuously sending data to the Waze servers to show where you are now and the traffic you are experiencing. Similarly, your device is continuously download data from the Waze servers to show you where other users are and what traffic they are experiencing.

Any searches you perform will use data as well as any routing requests.

Waze will use more data than a static GPS app, but it is doing so much more so it make sense.

Most people do not have an issue with quotas from what I have heard. I have unlimited data so I have never paid close attention personally.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator