Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

sending report when not in the car?

Post by warpspawn
I've been playing with waze for the last couple of days and thought i'd check the forum for a little bit of info, but have not been able to find it.
Like everyone i don't live in my car, i walk and cycle a fair amount out in the countryside.

1. while walking or cycling can i report an obstruction, police ambush, etc, as i would like to be able to help the other wazers if i spot something that's not been reported.

2. I would like to be able to use waze while cycling, but can i do so without affecting the average speed of the roads, giving a slow speed for the stretches of road that i'm traveling on?
and would have to turn it off if travelling on cycle paths, which i believe would come under the heading of gated or private roads? (if i got it right watching editing maps videos)

Also us nosey cyclist will generally use roads that other drivers don't use, just to see where it leads which would expand the route/re-route data base for everyone.
A 20 mile cycle ride, a couple of times a week opens a lot more road than a trip to my work daily. (3 miles away).
maybe an "On your bike" or "Take a hike" option?
sorry if this has been addressed in another post, but i could not find it.
warpspawn

POSTER_ID:12441589

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bigbear3764 wrote:
turbodieselgogogo wrote:I wish I could report things later, for instance when I arrive at work. Often I'm in such a hurry that it's just plain dangerous to report something when I'm in traffic!!!
On one hand, this would be a great safety option.
On the other, I can see where it opens up room for people to abuse it.
You can if you can open live map on a PC at work. Left click in area you want to report. Ballon pops up and one option is to report a problem. Fill it out and submit, goes to the update map.
Time to add this to the FAQ as this has been asked many times recently.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
turbodieselgogogo wrote:I wish I could report things later, for instance when I arrive at work. Often I'm in such a hurry that it's just plain dangerous to report something when I'm in traffic!!!
Use voice commands if it's available to you. (Primarily the US at this time.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Waze should only be used while traveling in a motor vehicle (i.e. Car, Motorcycle or Truck) and never while walking or using a bicycle. You present the reason for this in your second question, there curently is no way for Waze to know you are not in a car & you will pollute the data for the roads you are travelling on (and create false jams).

Cycle paths, would come under the Road Type of "Walking Trail" and not "Private Road". For "Private Road" think Gated Housing Development where you have to see a guard/use a keycard for entry, or even a large business campus where normal drivers should not be routed through the facility, but around it. However, if you were to map the "Walking Trails", Waze will route cars on them (even though they are under the Non-Driveable section), so it is considered best practice not to map them at this time.

Options for bikes/walking and even a Truck mode have been requested several times.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
bigbear3764 wrote:You can if you can open live map on a PC at work. Left click in area you want to report. Ballon pops up and one option is to report a problem. Fill it out and submit, goes to the update map.
This is only for reporting Map Issues, you can not report a "Car Stopped on Shoulder" or "Police" in this manner.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Bigbear3764
You can if you can open live map on a PC at work. Left click in area you want to report. Ballon pops up and one option is to report a problem. Fill it out and submit, goes to the update map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
When using Waze on a bicycle, remember that Waze will always - by design - lead you to the roads with the fastest traffic. Good luck! *)

*) for clarity: Cyclists must be prepared for the consequences if they rely on a navigationaid designed for cars. I used to explain to cycling Wazers that they pollute the data but that never made an impression - they keep coming.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by turbodieselgogogo
I wish I could report things later, for instance when I arrive at work. Often I'm in such a hurry that it's just plain dangerous to report something when I'm in traffic!!!
turbodieselgogogo
Send a message

Post by Wolfeye
You can send one report later! (But only one at a time)
While driving by/through let's say an accident, as you mentioned this is probably not the best time to look at your phone to report an accident in Waze. But if you have the time just to press the button for reporting and make the choice Accident you can then get your eyes back on the road again. Waze will automatically (after 10 sec) save that report (time and place) for you to fill in later. It shows on the screen to the left as an icon bouncing. Just press that icon when you feel it's safe and you can fill in any details and send the report.

As I mentioned in the beginning you can only have just one (1) report ”on hold". If you, for some reason, starts to make another report (before you sent the first one), it will replace the first report, whether you send it immediately or choose to send it later.

(I hope you'll understand despite bad grammar and spelling)
Wolfeye
Send a message