Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

newbie questions even after checking Wiki FAQ etc

Post by barryglot
Hello -

i'm enjoying this project and have just started scratching the surface in editing. I've been an avid road explorer and driver (and cyclist) for much longer than i've had this app, so i look forward to covering territory with new Wazer eyes, and to reexpanding my editable areas.

i've done a lot of searching and browsing and reading the Wiki and FAQ and here on the forum, but with the migration from Cartouche to WME and the overlapping content covered by each resource, i'm not always sure what's up to date or pertinent.

At the moment these are my principal questions:

1) Are there tools in the WME for checking my work, like:
a) Highlighting connectivity in an area, or viewing multiple junctions's permitted turns at the same time?
b) show all my edits within a past time frame (or just ever)?
c) querying an area or a zoom level for multiple combined features (e.g., show all segment with "Aly" in the name and road type not set to "Parking Lot Rd" ?

2) Is there a resource for local style guides that depart from the universal ones suggested in the wiki (for example, Birmingham AL's alleys are often marked as streets with restricted turns instead of as parking lot roads per the Wiki. i don't want to "fix" a genuinely workable system that someone else has implemented, but also want to help make areas with which i'm familiar comply to the Style Guide standards)

3) When extending a dead-end road to its actual end, the end-node seems to disappear after pulling the road from the end geometry node. I know how to re-add an end-node, but this seeming extra step makes me wonder if i'm doing it the wrong way-round. Is there a better method?

4) Can I highlight locked segments in a given view before starting work on an edit (to prevent getting almost done and then finding one segment unexpectedly locked)?

5) Can I review how others have solved recently dropped Map Problem pins so I learn from their process?

Thanks,
Barry
barryglot

POSTER_ID:12351315

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
barryglot wrote:2) Is there a resource for local style guides that depart from the universal ones suggested in the wiki (for example, Birmingham AL's alleys are often marked as streets with restricted turns instead of as parking lot roads per the Wiki. i don't want to "fix" a genuinely workable system that someone else has implemented, but also want to help make areas with which i'm familiar comply to the Style Guide standards)
Some countries have other "style guides" or conventions, but the US is fairly uniform. There are differences in terms of major/minor highway typing. But for alleys, it is pretty much standard that they need to be either parking lot or private rd. I use Private Rd almost exclusively because that type makes the most sense to me in terms of what alleys are almost exclusively used for.

Parking lot used to be used when it had a significant penalty for routing over. Today, private rd and parking lot are nearly identical in terms of routing penalty. And that penalty is assessed for driving FROM a PLot or pvt rd segment to segment of another type. (Before mid-2012, parking lot road accrued a significant penalty for each segment of PLot road.)
barryglot wrote:3) When extending a dead-end road to its actual end, the end-node seems to disappear after pulling the road from the end geometry node. I know how to re-add an end-node, but this seeming extra step makes me wonder if i'm doing it the wrong way-round. Is there a better method?
If the segment already has an end-node, just drag the end node itself to the new location and you won't have to worry about replacing. Hopefully, Waze will fix this deficiency some day and we won't have to worry about it.
barryglot wrote:5) Can I review how others have solved recently dropped Map Problem pins so I learn from their process?
If I understand your question, then no. The solved problems/requests disappear when solved, so no one can see them after that. You'd have no idea where someone did any work due to an update request.

But be clear when you say "Map Problem" vs. "Update Request." We are pretty standardized in what we call them based on the layer name, regardless that "Update Request" is called "User reported problem" when you click on it, and Map Problems are called "System detected problem" when you click on those. (And Update Requests are called "Map Issue" in the app. Nothing like consistency! :))
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by barryglot
thank you! very helpful indeed.
barryglot
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Most of your requests are available in a highlight script. Look under maps, editing and search. Read the threads on how to install for chrome or Firefox.

As for extending a road without loosing the end node, select the end node and drag the node to where you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Wait a second, did I just read that right? Was Alan actually Helpful to someone. ;) :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint